Axis and Allies Europe 1940 2nd Edition ( AAE40.2) FAQ/question

• When the USA is not at war can its sea units go to sea zone 121?

• Official Q&A

Yes.  However, they will be stuck there until the US either goes to war or builds a naval base in Greenland.

• A question about the naval bases: does one naval base service all adjectend sea zones? My understanding is yes, but it seems rather wrong with for example Karelia and its two sea zones…

• '16

And your understanding would happen to be correct.
    A Naval base will serve all adjacent sea zones.

As for Karelia, I only see one adjacent sea zone…

• hello, me and my buddy have been playing the original 1940.  we tried playing the with the second edition rules recently.  does any good axis player know any strategies for this version?  it seems the italian navy is spread out vunerable and gets completely destroyed by the uk in turn one making it next to impossible to build transports and protection to get over to north africa with 10 ipcs.  Also for germany…the russians get a additional 9 ipcs bonus each turn for that far eastern territory.  It was hard enough taking russia down in 5-6 turns and now they get that bonus.  Also with having the uk and usa turns go back to back it is crippling for germany when it comes to allied stragetic bombing raids.  Any help please?? havent found any forums on the second edition strategies here.

• '12

@ch0senfktard:

As for Karelia, I only see one adjacent sea zone…

They may be referring to Lake Ladoga, which is not a game space.

• Hi question to Naval Movement: :?

In SZ 113 there is a German and a Russian submarine.
    Germany and Russia are in war. There was no combat.
    In NCM, I can´t move the german sub out of SZ 113 to another SZ, this happens in TripleA but based on what rule? Thxs

• @Babubaer:

Hi question to Naval Movement: :?

In SZ 113 there is a German and a Russian submarine.
    Germany and Russia are in war. There was no combat.
    In NCM, I can’t move the german sub out of SZ 113 to another SZ, this happens in TripleA but based on what rule? Thxs

What exactly happened during Combat Move phase?
    What map (version) are you referring to?

• Hi P@nther,

Game Version TripleA 1.6.1.4
    Europe Map: Version 3.0

There is no battle in SZ 113, some battle around other territorys.

I can reproduce the error in a different sea zone also, lets say in SZ 93. Southern France is germany, a german submarine and an us submarine, and the same thing happen, i can´t move the german sub in NCM, i can only move in Combat Phase. 
    So my question is, based on what rule?

If it is necessary i can attach a savefile the only difference is than that 3 german subs starts their turn in SZ 113, but one has moved out in Combat Move, but as I say the same happens in a test in SZ 93 which has only a german sub and an us sub.
    I just wanted to keep as simple as possible in the description.

• Babubaer, I sent you a PM for further discussion (in German language).
    We will be back in English when we have found the solution.

• You have to move the sub out of the hostile sz during combat move. If you don’t then you are declaring combat in that sz. When it’s only subs then your opponent would most likely submerge so combat doesn’t really occur.
    I don’t have 2e…but it’s on page 13 of 1e under Sea Units Starting in Hostile Sea Zones

• thxs Captain Walker, :-)

you are right, TripleA ask me everytime “Attack Submarine in SZ 113” and than I press “No” and after that I try in the NCM to move out the sub from SZ 113, but i can´t do it, and the reason is like you say! @captain:

You have to move the sub out of the hostile sz during combat move. If you don’t then you are declaring combat in that sz. When it’s only subs then your opponent would most likely submerge so combat doesn’t really occur.
    I don’t have 2e…but it’s on page 13 of 1e under Sea Units Starting in Hostile Sea Zones

Thanxs for help!

• Official Q&A

Except that sea zone isn’t hostile.  Enemy subs and/or transports do not make a sea zone hostile.  If the German sub didn’t make a combat movement or participate in combat, it can move in noncombat movement.

• Thxs Krieghund for the clarification!

• That may be the official rule, but he’s talking about using TripleA…and TripleA sees that seazone as hostile. And the game engine doesn’t allow a NCM out of a hostile sea zone. You may be able to edit your NCM, but sometimes the game engine doesn’t allow certain edits either.

• @captain:

That may be the official rule, but he’s talking about using TripleA…and TripleA sees that seazone as hostile. And the game engine doesn’t allow a NCM out of a hostile sea zone. You may be able to edit your NCM, but sometimes the game engine doesn’t allow certain edits either.

Veqryn is already informed about this bug.
    See
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=30091.msg1083358#msg1083358

• Newbie Questions:

Hi all. I am completely new to Axis and Allies, and I started with the 1940 edition (yes, I know now I should have started with 1942). But anyways, here are my questions:

1. Combat movement, and can you move other units?

What I mean here is this. For Combat movement, can I move units along with each battle, or do I move all units all at once? For example, if I move a unit and conduct combat, can I move other units in completely opposite territories and conduct more combat, or do I have to move all units I have plan to conduct combat all at once?

2. Aircraft carriers, do you attack them and they just not fire back?

The rules talk about aircraft carriers and how they attack or defend with their own aircraft. But I ask, what about if the aircraft carrier is empty? Is it considered a “Defenseless Transport” and is sunk right away, or is it (as crazy as it seems) “invincible” and cannot be attacked? Or how do you attack an aircraft carrier?

3. Submarines. They can submerge at any time? If they submerge is that considered combat, or can your units move in the Noncombat move phase?

Can defending submarines submerge at any time? For example, I am doing an Amphibious Assault. I don’t have any destroyers. I decide to attack the subs in the sea zone with my battleships. Can those defending subs really just submerge and escape combat? And if they do, is that considered combat (meaning can my battleships still do Bombardment)?

4. Dice. One roll for every unit?

For example, lets say I have 20 units. Say I have 17 infantry and 3 tanks. So (assuming I’m using 3 dice) I would roll 5 times with three dice and once with two dice for the 17 infantry and once with three dice for the tanks (total of 20 rolls) correct?

5. Capturing a country. When I capture an entire country, such as France, do I get all their IPCs?

Thank you for your help and support. I appreciate it.

• Hi Matt.
    1. You make all the Combat Moves you want, then when you tell your opponent you are ready you choose which one you want to do roll for first, then choose a second etc.
    All  have to be declared at once. You cannot add more attacks later.

2. Aircraft Carriers can be attacked with or without planes and they defend on a “2”; they just do not have an attack value. They can go into a hostile Sea Zone with other units as long as one of them has an attack value and then you could take two hits on the Carrier if you did not mind losing one.( They do defend better if they have planes on them.)

3. A Sub can submerge if the other side does not have a Destroyer. It submerges instead of defending. If a Sub chooses to submerge against your Battleships then the attacker could not bombard, as it had commited to killing the Subs. (Do not try and attack Subs without a Destroyer, they will submerge!) in your scenario, just bombard and ignore the Subs, or make sure you always have one Destroyer with your fleet.

3. Submarines. They can submerge at any time? If they submerge is that considered combat, or can your units move in the Noncombat move phase?
    Not sure what you are asking here ,sorry!

4. Yes. Up to you how you roll, so long as your opponent is aware of what you are doing.
    5. Yes, when you capture the Capital, you get the money they have on them.

• I suspect I have not answered all your queries, so please ask again.
    It is possible I have not been clear enough too. Again ask again and maybe someone else can say it better.
    It is a great game and we all want you to enjoy and love it like the rest of us here.

• @wittmann:

I suspect I have not answered all your queries, so please ask again.
    It is possible I have not been clear enough too. Again ask again and maybe someone else can say it better.
    It is a great game and we all want you to enjoy and love it like the rest of us here.

Oh you have both answered all my queries and have done so clearly. LOL. And about the awkwardly obvious question number 5, I accidentally pasted that one from my Microsoft Word document. When I was reading the manual, I was writing down any rule I didn’t understand as I got to it. I hadn’t gotten to the “Capturing Capitals” on page 21 yet, and forgot to delete the question when I did my “paste preview” (to give you an idea, I originally had 12 total questions, and I deleted the others as I got to the explanations later on in the manual).  I thank you very much for your quick response time too. So much so that I’m going to donate to the site.  8-)

Anyways, I’ll be visiting my family for a game tomorrow. If I come across any more questions or rules that are ambiguous, I’ll just write them down on my notepad, and post them to the Forums when I get back home, and we’ll just agree on filler for the time being.

But you’ve answered my questions clearly enough that I don’t think I’ll come across any more problems or ambiguity. But if I do, I’ll be sure to ask.

And again, thank you for your help.  :-)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m