Axis and Allies Europe 1940 2nd Edition ( AAE40.2) FAQ/question

• Hey there I have a few questions.

A battleship and two subs are attacked by only aircraft. Say the attacking aircraft score two hits, can the defender allocate the hits onto the subs even though there are no enemy destroyers present, or do they have to go onto the battleship?

Is it true that that subs now can sneak attack on every round of combat as long as there are no destroyers present?

• Morning sentmassen and welcome to the forum.
    The two hits have to be allocated to the Battleship, as an Air unit cannot hit a sub without a Destroyer in the battle.
    Yes, Subs get a sneak each round that there is no Destroyer present on the other side.

• Morning!

Well shoot, messed up again.

I’m currently playing against my roommate. I’m trying to play 2nd edition on with my 1st edition copy, so I don’t have physical copies of all the rules. With that, I’ve borked a bunch of the new rules and I think hes pissing off with all the reversals and amendments I’ve had to do.

• Evening everyone!
    I have a dumb question.  When USA enters the war do their factories automatically
    convert to a Major IC, or does USA have to pay to upgrade them?

• Evening Tropper51. It happens automatically.
    I hope you are enjoying your games.

• Thank you Wittmann,  I thought so, but couldn’t find it in the rule book.

• @wittmann:

Yes, Subs get a sneak each round that there is no Destroyer present on the other side.

I’m new to Europe 1940, still absorbing the rules - Trying to understand sub battles - If a sub attacks ships without an enemy destroyer present, do they get a sneak attack first and then get to fire again during the “normal” conduct combat phase? And assuming they survive, then they can continue this “two shot attack” each round until they are eliminated?

Thanks in advance for clarification.

• Morning SeamansAZ and welcome to the forum.
    A Sub does not attack twice a turn. The Sneak is its one attack. They just get it early and get that advantage, if no Destroyer Is present.

• I likely missed this question being answered, but from the rule book 40E2.0, it is unclear to me that a not yet at war, US or USSR cannot move units into aligned neutral territories and even once at war cannot blitz through one friendly neutral to enter a second?

Thanks for any insight / confirmation.

• You are right on both counts. If not at war, they cannot move into and claim Frirnfly Neutrals and once at war, you cannot move through a Friendly Neutral into another territory.

• Design question, why was bomber cost reduced to 12 from 15 (classic game)?  Seems too cheap for the attack factor they receive.

• @Carolina:

Design question, why was bomber cost reduced to 12 from 15 (classic game)?  Seems too cheap for the attack factor they receive.

Not really an answer to “why” ist was changed, but it has been bombers for the price of 12 in all games starting from and with Anniversary Edition.
    So this is not a specific Europe1940 design issue.

• hi all,
    I’m new (2 weeks) player with 2nd editions EU40 e PA40, but long time (decades) A&A player with Classic.
    I’m trying to prepare an italian short “how to play” book for my friends. Regarding bombing raid and damage to IC I’ve found in the EU40 2nd ed. rulebook those:

a) ###  Conduct combat - Strategic and Tactical Bombing Raids - pag 17
    To mark the damage done by the attacking bomber(s), place 1 gray plastic chip under the targeted industrial complex or base per damage point rolled. An industrial complex can’t receive more than 20 total damage for major industrial complexes and more than 6 total damage for minor ones. Air bases and naval bases can’t receive more than 6 total damage. Damage exceeding these limits is not applied.

b) ###  Unit Profile - Industrial Complexes and Bases - Damaged Factories and Bases - pag 27
    See the Unit Profile of each facility for the effects of damage on it. Total damage to an industrial complex can’t exceed 20 for major and 6 for minor industrial complexes. Air bases and naval bases can’t exceed 6 damage points.

c) ###  Unit Profile - Industrial Complexes - Subject to damage - pag 27
    Industrial complexes can have at least as many damage markers as they have production ability. In such a case, no new units can enter the game through that complex until it’s repaired.

**Question:**If 3 strategic bombers rolled 3 dices and got 4-4-4 on a Majoc IC (full repaired),
    (it’s 18 total, counting +2 every die rolled)
    how many damage markers I’ve to add to that IC?
    +18 markers (following a and b ) or IC damage markers can be max 10 (following c)?

Not sure about the real meaning of c) rule in comparison with a) and b)

thanks in advance

P.S. same in PA40 2nd edition rulebook. Not found notes on EU/PA FAQ 2nd edition. Done little searching in this forum without success (pls how to search in subforum only?  :?). In 1st edition rulebooks c) is attached with b)

• @Garibaldino:

Not sure about the real meaning of c) rule in comparison with a) and b)

Welcome to the forum, Garibaldino.

A major industrial complex (MIC) can produce 10 units. Their maximum damage is 20. So far, so good.

Now your point c) comes in:

In case the damage of a MIC is exactly 10 no unit can enter the game and you need to repair at least 1 damage to allow 1 unit to enter.
    Repair 10 to allow 10 units to enter the game - or any number inbetween.

If the damage is 11, you need to repair 2 damage to allow 1 unit to enter the game.
    If the damage is 20, you need to repair 11 damage to allow 1 unit to enter the game.

So this is the meaning of the sentence “Industrial complexes can have at least as many damage markers as they have production ability. In such a case, no new units can enter the game through that complex until it’s repaired.”

Please ask, if anything remains unclear  :-)

• Buona sera Garibaldino. Dove sei, possibly chiedere? Io son Fiorentino, ma abito in Inghilterra da 40 anni.

The answer is 18 damage (Max is 20).
    To produce just one unit, you would need to repair 9 damage first.

• good morning all

thanks all for clarifications on my IC/damage question
    (your replies were so fast that by browser can’t see 'em  :-D until yesterday… bad cache or something …)

I used them in my italian traslation with something like this  (my english is really basic one)

IC can produce units only when damage markers are in numbers less than production ability. With more damage markers (equal or greater than production ability) no new units can enter the game through that complex until it’s repaired enough to regain some production level.
    Damage markers over 20 (major) or 6 (minor) are ignored.

to wittman: come si sta in Inghilterra? Immagino tutto bene. Qui, Piemonte-Torino, la giornata e’ stupenda. ciao!

• Sounds fine like that.
    Sei vuoi scriverlo in Italiano, posso guardarlo come l’hai scritto per I tuoi amici. Anche per PM.
    Stiamo benissimo, grazie. Vado dai miei per pranzo, poi guardo la Fiorentina. Siamo appassionati. Il 3 Aprile sono a Firenze in vacanza e andro’ allo stadio.

Enjoy your games!

• General question Europe or Pacific…  Sea zone amphib assualt against an island with a defending carrier and 2 fighters in the sea zone and 1 infantry on the island.  After first round of sea zone battle, attacker has 1 damaged BB and transport with 2 infrantry, and defender chooses to lose the carrier and keep 2 fighters in air over the sea zone.  Question… can the transports land the infantry and start a land battle even though the sky above the attacking BB and TP still has defending fighters?  Rules only state there is a sea battle if there are defending warships and/or “scrambled” aircraft (not aircraft from a carrier).

• @Carolina:

General question Europe or Pacific…  Sea zone amphib assualt against an island with a defending carrier and 2 fighters in the sea zone and 1 infantry on the island.  After first round of sea zone battle, attacker has 1 damaged BB and transport with 2 infrantry, and defender chooses to lose the carrier and keep 2 fighters in air over the sea zone.  Question… can the transports land the infantry and start a land battle even though the sky above the attacking BB and TP still has defending fighters?  Rules only state there is a sea battle if there are defending warships and/or “scrambled” aircraft (not aircraft from a carrier).

No, the attacker has to kill the defending fighters before being able to land his units. When the Carrier is sunk, the sea battle continues unless the attacker does not retreat.

HTH :-)

• Official Q&A

The latest FAQ link in this thread is now broken.  This one will work.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m