Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• @simon33:

Question. TT starts in a hostile SZ with a power you are already at war with - i.e. new DOW exemption doesn’t apply. Can you move to another SZ, pick up troops but then not unload them? AFAIAA, if you pick up in Combat Movement you have to unload. Can you just leave the units on the transport then?

And what about if you want to unload to a friendly space while I’m asking. I presume the exemption covers this scenario though.

You have answered your questions yourself. The exemption you mentioned (Blue Box, page 11, Pacific Rulebook) indeed does not apply.
    The possible actions in the given situation are determined by the following parts of the rulebook:

@rulebook:

Sea units starting in Hostile Sea Zones
    At the beginning of the Combat Move phase, you might already have sea units (and air units on carriers) in spaces containing enemy units that were there at the start of your turn. For example, an enemy might have built new surface warships in a sea zone where you have sea units. When your turn comes around again, you are sharing that sea zone with enemy forces.

If you are sharing a sea zone with surface warships (not submarines and/or transports) belonging to a power with which you are at war, this situation requires you to do one of the following:

• Remain in the sea zone and conduct combat,

• Leave the sea zone, load units if desired, and conduct combat elsewhere,

• Leave the sea zone, load units, and return to the same sea zone to conduct combat (you can’t load units while in a hostile sea zone), or

• Leave the sea zone and conduct no combat.

Once these sea units have moved and/or participated in combat, they can’t move or participate in the Noncombat Move phase of the turn.

and

@rulebook:

If a transport loads land units during the Combat Move phase, it must offload those units to attack a hostile territory as part of an amphibious assault during the Conduct Combat phase, or it must retreat during the sea combat step of the amphibious assault sequence while attempting to do so.

This is why you neither can’t leave the units on the transport nor unload them to a friendly space.

HTH :-)

• In that situation it is impossible to pick up units in the noncombat phase with that transport, because it’s forced to move in the combat movement phase or engage in combat in that zone (if it is not moved)

So like P@nther expertly showed you, yes it has to move in the combat movement phase if you want to avoid the combat in the zone, and if you pick up any ground units (necessarily from a different zone) then you have to also unload them somewhere as an amphibious assault

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

As I understand, if you move the transport, pick up up units, and move again to your destination in the combat phase, you can still unload the transport during the non-combat phase but you are not allowed to move the transport again during the non-combat phase. So, if you reached your destination, you can still unload. If that is not correct, please do let me know.

Marsh

• '19 '17 '16

@Marshmallow:

As I understand, if you move the transport, pick up up units, and move again to your destination in the combat phase, you can still unload the transport during the non-combat phase but you are not allowed to move the transport again during the non-combat phase. So, if you reached your destination, you can still unload. If that is not correct, please do let me know.

Triple A allows it but it is not legal.

@P@nther:

You have answered your questions yourself. The exemption you mentioned (Blue Box, page 11, Pacific Rulebook) indeed does not apply.
    The possible actions in the given situation are determined by the following parts of the rulebook:

I asked because I thought I must be missing something. That’s a bit harsh isn’t it?

• P@nther’s response was not harsh, no

• '19 '17 '16

@Gamerman01:

P@nther’s response was not harsh, no

I meant that the rule is a bit harsh.

• Ahhhhhh
    Well your opponent is bound by it too  :-)

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@simon33:

@Marshmallow:

Triple A allows it but it is not legal.

Yeah, looks like it can move and load, but must then participate in an amphibious assault.

Marsh

• Assuming Germany and Russia are at peace after G1 and Russia moves their sub and cruiser from SZ 115 to 114 as a “blocker” for an eventual DOW. While still at peace, can Germany move any sea units into and past the Russian cruiser into SZ 115?

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Yes. Sea units belonging to nations not at war can freely pass each other.

• '19 '17 '16

@ProtesT:

Assuming Germany and Russia are at peace after G1 and Russia moves their sub and cruiser from SZ 115 to 114 as a “blocker” for an eventual DOW. While still at peace, can Germany move any sea units into and past the Russian cruiser into SZ 115?

Yes, but then they can’t load units on the combat Movement unless they are in Finland. Is the theory that you can then amphibiously assault Leningrad from the Baltic? I don’t see why you would do that. If they leave the sub in SZ115 you also need a warship.

• Why I asked is I played a game yesterday and my opponent kept Russia neutral until G4. On turn 3 he moved his cruiser, a destroyer, carrier and 4 loaded transports into SZ 115 and kept the land units at sea until G4 where he declared war and attacked Leningrad. First time ive seen it done in my experience. Furiously searched through the rulebook but couldn’t find anything to go against it. Unless surface war ships cannot pass through which I doubt. Figured I’d ask here just to double check.

• '19 '17 '16

Curious move.

If you are blocking Baltic States and the Italians can’t can open, I guess it’s a way of getting Leningrad on the same turn as the DOW. Question is: why is that so important?

• It wasn’t the same turn as the DOW - that’s what you can’t do.
    He noncommed to 115 on G3, and declared war on G4.  That is perfectly legal.

• '19 '17 '16

The Leningrad attack was on the same turn as the DOW. That is what I meant. Apparently that isn’t clear!?

• @ProtesT:

Why I asked is I played a game yesterday and my opponent kept Russia neutral until G4. On turn 3 he moved his cruiser, a destroyer, carrier and 4 loaded transports into SZ 115 and kept the land units at sea until G4 where he declared war and attacked Leningrad.

This is what he said.  Totally legal

• '19 '17 '16

Yes, I agree that it was legal. No argument.

I was just wondering why you’d want to.

• Ah - to prevent the Russians from blocking you.  Consider if both Italian planes were lost on UK1 to scramble - bomber vs. cruiser is dicey and the Italian bomber is very important, so many players probably wouldn’t want to risk that.  Or, maybe the Italian bomber was lost on I1 trying to clean up the Med

• '22 '19 '18

2 questions, a major complex has 8 damage and is captured and dropped to a minor, how much of that damage is carried over?
    India is controlled by Japan if London armies recapture west India or Hong Kong from Japan does that money go to London or just lost?

• Afternoon comd1024.
    The maximum: six.

The income is lost. Is better to let the US or Anzac (or Russia) capture former UK Pacific territories. They can claim them and the income, as long as India is not recaptured. In which case, they revert to UK Pacific.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m