Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• Sponsor

Great reference material, thanks Krieghund!

• '21 '20 '18 '17

thanks for compiling all the changes.  Most of them seem to be clarifications rather than actual changes to the rules, and they are helpful.  Thanks for your continued support of the game.

• '16 '15 '10

Want to clarify something real quick–can UK Europe buy an air or naval base and place it on UK Pacific territory?  Or does any air or naval base placed on UKPAC territory have to be purchased by UK Pac?

• No, it cannot.
    Yes, Zhukov it does have to be. @Zhukov44:

Want to clarify something real quick–can UK Europe by an air or naval base and place it on UK Pacific territory?  Or does any air or naval base placed on UKPAC territory have to be purchased by UK Pac?

• Alright so I have a question on subs

Let’s say that there is only a sub and a battleship and the sun rolls a 2 and does a surprise attack on the battleship does the battleship get sunk or does it do one damage and can it fire back or not if so

• The sub just damaged the battleship, which is still fully functional and can fire back.
    When a sub scores a hit on an already damaged carrier or battleship, then it is sunk by surprise strike and gets no return fire

• '19 '17 '16

Rule clarification please.

US CVs with British fighters onboard start in SZ113 which is hostile with a German DD. US flies in some planes and attacks the DD, Germans scramble.

US stops attacking after losing all its fighters, while Germany still has fighters left. What happens? My understanding is that the CVs can only retreat if they’ve jumped to SZ114 in the combat move otherwise their destroyed because they have no attack value. They can’t remain in SZ113 because its hostile.

Someone is claiming that they can just remain in SZ113 in spite of losing the battle.

• @simon33:

US CVs with British fighters onboard start in SZ113 which is hostile with a German DD. US flies in some planes and attacks the DD, Germans scramble.

US stops attacking after losing all its fighters, while Germany still has fighters left. What happens? My understanding is that the CVs can only retreat if they’ve jumped to SZ114 in the combat move otherwise their destroyed because they have no attack value. They can’t remain in SZ113 because its hostile.

You’re right.  You can’t retreat unless you came from a different zone.  When you find yourself in a hostile zone because the enemy built a ship into your zone and you attack it, you need to leave the zone and come back, if you can.  You gain nothing from just staying there because you can’t move the ship in the noncombat phase anyway.  Like you said, if you don’t move out and back in during the combat movement phase, then you have no retreat (unless you came in with another boat from another place, of course, which is impossible in your situation if there are no USA boats in 114 or 115 and the strait is closed off)

Someone is claiming that they can just remain in SZ113 in spite of losing the battle.

They’re wrong, but depending on the situation, it might be the sporting thing to do to let them retreat to 114 (assuming it is not hostile) but expect them to know the rule next time.  Your call
    But there is no way they can do a battle, not win, and stay in 113.  Retreats are always to different zones/territories

• '19 '17 '16

Yeah, I’ve already offered them a retreat, but they insisted they could lose and remain in the SZ, under the cover of an airbase.

Thanks for the quick reply.

• I have a question concerning neutrals. It’s been asked before but I can’t find it.

What if

• UK has several fighters on United Kingdom;
    • the airbase on United Kingdom is operative; and
    • the Germans launch an amphibious assault on Eire from SZ109.

Can the UK scramble to SZ109?

And what if (hypothetically) Eire was originally a strict Neutral that became pro-ally because the Axis attacked another true Neutral such as Sweden?

And what if (hypothetically) Eire was originally a strict Neutral that was unsuccesfully attacked in a previous turn, and was now again under attack?

• @Ozymandiac:

I have a question concerning neutrals. It’s been asked before but I can’t find it.

What if

• UK has several fighters on United Kingdom;
    • the airbase on United Kingdom is operative; and
    • the Germans launch an amphibious assault on Eire from SZ109.

Can the UK scramble to SZ109?

Definitely yes

And what if (hypothetically) Eire was originally a strict Neutral that became pro-ally because the Axis attacked another true Neutral such as Sweden?

No difference

And what if (hypothetically) Eire was originally a strict Neutral that was unsuccessfully attacked in a previous turn, and was now again under attack?

No difference.  In all 3 examples, Eire is pro-Allies.  You didn’t even make me look up whether you can scramble to defend a strict neutral, which could possibly happen.  I’m not 100% sure off hand, btw, but I’m thinking you can.  So basically you can act to stop any combat action by your enemies

• All right, thanks: friendly nations can be assisted with scrambles.

I’m still wondering about a 4th case, inspired by Gamerman’s comment.

• Can a strict neutral be assisted with a scramble? For example, the UK has an airfield on Cairo and the Japanese attack Saudi Arabia, the 1st attack on a strict neutral during that game.

The rulebook states that air units can be scrambled to help friendly units. So my question can also be interpreted as: does a strict neutral become friendly to the other side the instant an attack is declared against it during the Combat-Move-Phase.

• I know Krieghund has answered this before but I must not have made a note in my rulebook.  I will try a search of this thread now, and there’s a good chance I can find it - hang on

Eh - not finding it, I guess we need him to answer it again

• Official Q&A

From the 2nd Edition Europe Rulebook, page 11:

Strict neutrals are treated in exactly the same way as unfriendly neutrals, with one exception. An attack by either alliance on a strict neutral territory (whether successful or not) will result in all remaining strict neutrals immediately becoming pro-Allies or pro-Axis, depending on who violated the strict neutral’s neutrality.

So, yes, they are treated in the same way for this purpose.

• Thank you both, Krieghund and Gamerman. It seems the rules can still mystify me in cases that don’t happen very often. :-)

• Sponsor

I’m the US and I want to attack Spain with a large landing force. May I load one transport with an infantry and an AA gun, send that transport during the combat movement phase where the infantry exits on shore during the amphibious assault, and in the non combat movement phase… can I unload the AA gun from the same transport that landed an infantry earlier?

• '19 '18 '17

@Young:

I’m the US and I want to attack Spain with a large landing force. May I load one transport with an infantry and an AA gun, send that transport during the combat movement phase where the infantry exits on shore during the amphibious assault, and in the non combat movement phase… can I unload the AA gun from the same transport that landed an infantry earlier?

I have no citation from the rule book, but one from earlier in this thread.
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=28562.msg1027632#msg1027632

Maybe this helps, maybe not  :-D

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@Young:

I don’t believe so, because that would required loading the AA gun onto the transport during combat movement, and I thought AA guns are not allowed to move during combat movement unless already loaded onto a transport.

Marsh

• Marshmallow’s right about not being able to load AA during the combat move, but even if it had been previously loaded on an earlier turn you can’t unload an infantry during amphibious assault and the AAA later on the noncombat movement.

Once a transport moves or unloads, it is DONE for the turn

• Sponsor

Thanks for the clarification.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m