Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• Yes, and I can assure you that has been confirmed on this FAQ before, by Krieghund.

• Sponsor

Does Russian units in China negate the Mongolian rule? URGENT!

• '12

@Young:

Does Russian units in China negate the Mongolian rule? URGENT!

if russian units attack a japanese controlled territory bordering mongolia, then the mongolian pact is canceled.  if japan attacks a chinese territory with russian units in it, the mongolians do not join russia.  they only join russia if the pact is still active and japan attacks a russian CONTROLLED territory bordering mongolia.  that means the territory must be red.

• That’s correct.  And since it’s impossible for Chinese territories to ever be Russian controlled, the only time Mongolia will turn Russian is if Japan attacks a Russian controlled territory bordering Mongolia.

• '22 '16

Scenario: Italy is at war with Russia turn 1. By turn 3 the Italians have taken Eastern Poland.  Germany, still Neutral with Russia, NCM’s all its units to Eastern Poland.

Question 1: What happens if Russia attacks Eastern Poland? Or can they?

Question 2: This seems like a loop hole of some sort.  What is the explanation behind it please?  I just want to make sure I understand the political rules concerning this.  Thanks!

• Note that Russia can DOW Germany since it’s at war with Italy. I’m not sure what happens if it decides not to, though.

• You can’t attack a territory unless you are at war with everyone in the territory, so if Russia is not at war with Germany, they can’t attack.

However, Russia is allowed to declare war on Germany when Italy declares war on Russia, so they can just declare war on Germany and attack the territory.

• @Gamerman01:

It is only at sea that you can ignore the units of powers with which you are not at war

On land, YOU CAN NEVER ATTACK a territory that contains a single unit of a power with which you are not at war.
    In your example, Russia is not allowed to attack East Poland without declaring war on Germany because German units are in East Poland.Â

Note that Triple A does not always properly observe this rule.

I do not like this rule :(

• @Imperious:

Only post 2nd edition questions and answers here.

Can I move into a hostile sea zone during non combat move so my planes can land?

• '22 '16

On the Russian turn an INF loads onto a UK TRN.  On UK’s turn could they load an ART on the same TRN and conduct an amphibious assault?  And then on Russias turn can they unload the INF ? Thanks.

• No, I am afraid not, Ebat3. @Ebat3:

@Imperious:

Only post 2nd edition questions and answers here.

Can I move into a hostile sea zone during non combat move so my planes can land?

• @majikforce:

On the Russian turn an INF loads onto a UK TRN.  On UK’s turn could they load an ART on the same TRN and conduct an amphibious assault?  And then on Russias turn can they unload the INF ? Thanks.

Yes - on UK’s turn the Russian Inf is just cargo. UK can conduct an amphibious assault with the UK Art. Un Russia’s turn the Russian Inf can be unloaded either in Combat Move into a hostile territory or during Noncombat Move into a friendly territory.

• Can russia attack japan if not provoked and not at war with germany/italy?

And if not at war, what is the US’ income like? Does it have major or minor factories?

• @strategic:

Can russia attack japan if not provoked and not at war with germany/italy?

Yes.  Russia’s politics in Europe are separate from its politics on the Pacific map.  Russia may always declare war on Japan on Russia’s first turn.

And if not at war, what is the US’ income like? Does it have major or minor factories?

US has minor factories until at war, when they instantly become major (Triple A delays it until round 4 when USA automatically is at war at the end of US3, which is technically incorrect).  USA is allowed to pay to upgrade a minor factory to major, but this is never a good idea  :wink:
    It’s easy enough to switch theaters with units even in the early going with the production limit.  You have naval bases and the Panama canal is open, free of charge.  :wink:

US does not collect any NO’s, including homeland NO’s, until at war, so her income is 52, the value of her territories.

• Okay. If im japan and uk makes an unprovoked DOW, do i still get my NO for not being at war? How does the political situation happen then?

• Yes, as long as Japan lays off French Indo-China and does not declare war on the United States.  It’s on page 37 of the Europe rulebook, where the rules for the combined game are located.

The requirement for the Japanese 10 IPC NO is to not be at war with the UNITED STATES, to not have provoked war against UK/ANZ, and to not have attacked French Indo-China.

Do you have a copy of the 2nd edition rulebook? If not, it’s located here: http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/rules/A&A_Europe_1940_2ndEd_Rulebook_LR.pdf
    And official FAQ is here: http://www.wizards.com/AvalonHill/rules/AA_Europe_1940_2nd_Edition_FAQ.pdf
    Pacific rulebook is here: http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/rules/A&A_Pacific_1940_2ndEd_Rulebook_LR.pdf

• I’ve been really studying the J1 attack strategy and ive found that by landing a tank+infantry transport on Alaska you prevent the US from getting an additional 5 ipc NO. bringing the total NOs down to 15 if Philippines are captured as well. You may have to divert the caroiline island transport to the Phillipines or just put in more planes. I feel that taking alaska J1 would really distract US and draw more attention to the pacific, giving Italy more wiggle room. Any faults with my logic?  :?

• @JeroldTheGreat:

I’ve been really studying the J1 attack strategy and ive found that by landing a tank+infantry transport on Alaska you prevent the US from getting an additional 5 ipc NO. bringing the total NOs down to 15 if Philippines are captured as well. You may have to divert the caroiline island transport to the Phillipines or just put in more planes. I feel that taking alaska J1 would really distract US and draw more attention to the pacific, giving Italy more wiggle room. Any faults with my logic?  :?

Japan has 3 transports. Usually, you’d need 2 for the Philippines, since there’s a decent chance the Filipino defenders will get 2 hits, and you don’t want to lose a plane. The 3rd transport would be used to take Borneo to cut India’s income. The US can easily retake Alaska by using its tank and 2 other land units (via transport), as well as some planes, so you don’t actually cut the US income by 7; instead, you only gain 2, and probably lose your land units and the transport.

• what if you took an air craft carrier to Alaska along with maybe a sub as well? I’m starting to feel as if J1 just dosnt work because it always give the US the upper hand. Is it possible to take Hawaii J1?

• Possible but highly unlikely that you can take Hawaii J1.

J1 is not optimal in almost all situations.  J2 is usually optimal.  It can be a good idea to land on Russia J1 or J2, assuming the Russians are pulling back.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m