Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• '14

@cond1024:

How would this scenario play out?  3 UK inf and 3UK art are loaded on three US transports attacking western germany from SZ 112, (UK’s turn) with a large US navy in the same sea zone and no UK navy or air.  Germany scrambles to defend the sea zone but my question is are the German air able to sink US transports? If so that seems a little strange that the America navy would sit by while one of their transports are sinking.  Also since it is an American transport on UKs turn it can’t retreat so what happens?

I would play it as, the UK has to sit on the US ships until they receive their own orders to attack. The ships they are offloading from are still manned, and there for would still be able to defend. And besides, you CAN’T single out or choose who you are attacking in a country/territory/SZ, you attack the whole space and everything in it. If the SZ that they are offloading from is loaded with friendly ships, they still get to defend the space. Its that way in every other case in the game. Friendly powers occupying the same space can defend at the same time, but can only attack during their own individual turns. Also in the case of an ACC with two Friendly planes on it (all 3 can defend that SZ, ACC and the 2 friendly planes, but the friendly planes can only attack on their own turn and with out being able to move the ACC that they took off from).

• UK is the attacker in this scenerio.Rules don’t allow a friendly power to participate in your attack.That’s what I think.

• @ampdrive:

UK is the attacker in this scenerio.Rules don’t allow a friendly power to participate in your attack.That’s what I think.

Right.  The fleet is not defending against a scramble, the scramble is the defense against the attack.

In this scenario, if Germany scrambles then the attack is not allowed.  No ships are sunk, no dice are rolled, no combat takes place.

• Interesting.
    Makes me think of other questions.
    #1 If UK is also using other land based units to attack,do the air units that were scrambled(were they actually scrambled if the attack is cancelled?)get to defend?

#2 What if UK has air units on friendly carriers .Can Uk use those units to protect the trannies?

• @ampdrive:

Interesting.
    Makes me think of other questions.
    #1 If UK is also using other land based units to attack,do the air units that were scrambled(were they actually scrambled if the attack is cancelled?)get to defend?

Air units that are scrambled can NOT defend against the land units of the amphibious assault.  Likewise, air units that intercept an SBR cannot scramble or defend against land attack.  They can only be involved in 1 battle.

#2 What if UK has air units on friendly carriers .Can Uk use those units to protect the trannies?

Absolutely.  those UK air units can take off the carriers and fight scrambled aircraft and/or hostile warships that are now in the zone.

Guest fighters are only stuck on the allied carriers when it is that ally’s turn and that ally is moving/attacking.
    But when the power owning the fighters has their turn, those fighters can be used freely in combat move/combat.

• '14

@Gamerman01:

@ampdrive:

UK is the attacker in this scenerio.Rules don’t allow a friendly power to participate in your attack.That’s what I think.

Right.  The fleet is not defending against a scramble, the scramble is the deffense against the attack.

In this scenario, if Germany scrambles then the attack is not allowed.  No ships are sunk, no dice are rolled, no combat takes place.

yup true, the scramble is the defender. AND, the amphibious assault is coming from Land units not controlling any of the naval ships in the SZ. ALL of the naval ships are controlled by friendlies, and if the scramble is defending the assault they would have to defend against ALL of the ships.

If the scramble can swoop in and destroy only the transports in the middle of ALL the war ships, I feel that this is just a manipulation of the words printed in the rulebook.

• @wartorn:

yup true, the scramble is the defender. AND, the amphibious assault is coming from Land units not controlling any of the naval ships in the SZ. ALL of the naval ships are controlled by friendlies,

Right

and if the scramble is defending the assault they would have to defend against ALL of the ships.

Only against the ships of the power whose turn it is (in this case, there are none)

If the scramble can swoop in and destroy only the transports in the middle of ALL the war ships, I feel that this is just a manipulation of the words printed in the rulebook.

It’s a wrong interpretation, not a manipulation…  :-)

Scrambled aircraft defend along with any defending warships against whatever naval or air forces of the power whose turn it is (in this case UK) are in the sea zone at the end of the combat movement phase.  If there are no naval or air forces of the playing power (UK) in the first place, then there is no combat, and amphibious assaults off friendly transports would then not be allowed.

This is all under the set of facts that you have UK ground units on Allied (Not UK) transports and there are no other UK warships or aircraft in the sea zone at the end of the combat movement phase.  Under this set of facts, if the defender scrambles (only 1 plane required), the attacker (UK) is simply not able to unload any troops and no combat takes place.  The amphibious assault is stopped by the scramble, with no losses.

• Before the US is at war, does the rule regarding stopping naval movement adjacent to Japanese territories apply just to surface ships…or does it include subs?

• The rulebook uses the term “sea units”. I think submarines qualify for that  :wink:.

In real life you might have a point (who can detect where a nation’s subs are), but the wording of the rules leave no room for interpretation.

• thanks!

• If a sub does a non combat move into a seazone containing warships and transports ,are the transports allowed to move out of the seazone during combat move and then load and move again in non combat move?

• No.

• thanks gamer…is that on your list of Triple A errors? Because the new version of Triple A allows that move.

• It sure is - thank you

Item 16C), and it has been added to the Triple A game notes themselves, in the new version

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

I skimmed the 80 pages here and didn’t see anything on the subject, nor did I find it using the search function, so I had to register and ask a question.

In a previous incarnation of A&A, mechanized infantry were able to “carry” an infantry or an artillery piece to move 2 (don’t recall which version), and my A&A buddy and I had been playing Global 1940 and now G40 2nd Ed with this old rule.  However, upon closer examination of the rule book, it does not say that infantry or artillery may move 2 with a mechanized infantry.  Is this no longer allowed in G40 and G40 2nd Ed?

• @DMcLaren:

I skimmed the 80 pages here and didn’t see anything on the subject, nor did I find it using the search function, so I had to register and ask a question.

In a previous incarnation of A&A, mechanized infantry were able to “carry” an infantry or an artillery piece to move 2 (don’t recall which version), and my A&A buddy and I had been playing Global 1940 and now G40 2nd Ed with this old rule.  However, upon closer examination of the rule book, it does not say that infantry or artillery may move 2 with a mechanized infantry.  Is this no longer allowed in G40 and G40 2nd Ed?

There is no carrying of any other units in G40 2nd edition, no.

You may be thinking of the technology “mechanized infantry” which allowed a tank to carry an infantry with it.  That was in the 50th anniversary game, circa 2008

Mechanized infantry is a new unit introduced in the 1940 games that is basically just an infantry unit that can move 2 spaces, and costs 4 instead of 3.

• I have a couple of questions about the conversion of the US IC’s to majors when the US enters the war.
    I"m playing a game on Triple A and here’s what’s happened.
    ON J2 Japan set up for a major attack on the US by moving the majority of her fleet w/six loaded transports to Hawaii. A combination attack on J3 takes Alaska, Midway, Hawaii and Western US. Japan takes control of the minor IC in Western US.

Question 1- On US three is there a limit on the number of units the US can place? They have two minors at the start of their turn…but they convet to majors on that turn. Triple A only allowed three units per IC…so I need to know if that’s correct.
    Question 2- If the minor IC in Western US is under Japanese control…does it convert to a major IC on the US turn? Triple A placed a major there on the start of the US turn…but it also left the minor there. So what exactly is the rule for the IC upgrade if it’s under enemy control?

• @captain:

I have a couple of questions about the conversion of the US IC’s to majors when the US enters the war.
    I"m playing a game on Triple A and here’s what’s happened.
    ON J2 Japan set up for a major attack on the US by moving the majority of her fleet w/six loaded transports to Hawaii. A combination attack on J3 takes Alaska, Midway, Hawaii and Western US. Japan takes control of the minor IC in Western US.

USA is at war with Japan on J3, when Japan declares war on the USA.  Minors are increased to majors immediately upon state of war.  Therefore, when Japan invaded WUS, there should have been a major IC there.

Question 1- On US three is there a limit on the number of units the US can place? They have two minors at the start of their turn…but they convet to majors on that turn. Triple A only allowed three units per IC…so I need to know if that’s correct.

Limit is 10.  They should have converted to majors when Japan declared war on the USA.  Triple A does not convert USA minors to majors when it should.

Question 2- If the minor IC in Western US is under Japanese control…does it convert to a major IC on the US turn? Triple A placed a major there on the start of the US turn…but it also left the minor there. So what exactly is the rule for the IC upgrade if it’s under enemy control?

It should have converted to major upon the DOW, and been reduced to a minor upon capture.  It will not be automatically increased to a major upon USA recapture.  USA will have to spend 20 to get a major

• thanks for the response I didn’t think Triple A was doing it the correct way…it looks like I’ll have to edit the major IC out of WUS and spend the money for the upgrade.

• Are you allowed to move land units from Scotland to Ireland without transports?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m