Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• '18 '16 '15

I’m playing a game here now and my American naval is attacked by the Japanese. He attacks with 8 carriers and 18 fighters. 16 of those can reach land, 2 have flown the maximum distance. Is he allowed to let 8 carriers sink before any of the aircraft die, or must 1 AC remain until at least 2 fighters die?

• @Balladeer:

I’m playing a game here now and my American naval is attacked by the Japanese. He attacks with 8 carriers and 18 fighters. 16 of those can reach land, 2 have flown the maximum distance. Is he allowed to let 8 carriers sink before any of the aircraft die, or must 1 AC remain until at least 2 fighters die?

He can lose carriers first and does not have to lose any fighters.

The save the fighters requirement is ONLY for combat movement purposes-legality.  Once the battle starts, you have NO obligation to keep landing places for fighters.

• '18 '16 '15

Allright, thanks!

• My pleasure

• Can planes go to a contested sea zone during the non-combat movement phase to land on carriers that are going to be build there during the production phase?

• @Soulblighter:

Can planes go to a contested sea zone during the non-combat movement phase to land on carriers that are going to be build there during the production phase?

Yes!

@Rulebook:

Where Units Can Move

Only fighters and tactical bombers can land in a sea zone
    with a friendly carrier present. A landing spot must be
    available on the carrier. Additionally:

• A fighter or tactical bomber can land in a sea zone
      (even a hostile one) that is adjacent to an industrial
      complex you own if you will be mobilizing an aircraft
      carrier that you previously purchased in that zone
      during the Mobilize New Units phase.

HTH :-)

• I have some questions on 1940 rules:

1. If two bombers are bombing two different buildings, Are both buildings screen together or separately?

For example a strategic bomber is bombing an Industrial Complex and a tactical bomber is bombing an Air Base. Did the defender roll 2 dice (and you choose your casualties) or did he roll 1 dice defending IC and another dice defending Air Base, for each bomber?

2. Are National Objectives and convoy disruptions obligatory?

For example Germany wants to conquer London. Germany has subs in 109SZ but he didn’t wants to disrupt convoy because he wants to collect more IPCs in London conquest. Also, London has all original territories but he doesn’t want to collect the 5 IPCs of NO because they are going to be owned by Germany.

Can UK force Germany to disrupt convoy, and Germany force UK to collect NO?

• 1. You roll them separate. The attacker declares which bombers are bombing what, and then each set of bombers is rolled individually.
    2. Yes, they are both mandatory.

As a side note, if Germany doesn’t want to convoy raid the UK, then Germany should move the sub somewhere else. That would prevent that issue from occurring.
    As another side note, I have seen a Germany player once intentionally leave the SZ 125 empty of warships the turn before taking Moscow, just to get that extra $5.

• Yep, pancake gave you the right answers

This is the procedure for SBR’s in G40 2nd edition:

1. Combat move all fighters/tacs/strat bombers to the target territory.  You need not make any declarations during the combat movement phase of what you are targeting.  This is significant, because
    2.  Defender decides whether to send up interceptors (fighters only, no limit to # of interceptors - don’t confuse with scrambling limit of 3) against your whole group, not knowing what your strats/tacs are targeting
    3.  Roll out the 1 round air battle
    4.  Attacker selects individual target facilities for tacs and strats, tacs can only bomb bases
    5.  Roll AA for each facility against the tacs/strats that are attacking it.  Roll separately by facility at the group of air that is attacking that facility
    6.  Roll SBR damage dice by facility for surviving tacs and strats, adding 2 for each strat

This isn’t from a rulebook or anything, it’s just my recap for you off the top of my head.  Hope it clarifies things for you.

Happy bombing,
    Gamer

• I have another two questions.

If you unload units from an allied transport, can you load units in the same turn?

If US is at war can place units in dutch territories (without getting control of them)?

• '16 '15 '10

@Juglareskatales:

I have another two questions.

If you unload units from an allied transport, can you load units in the same turn?

If US is at war can place units in dutch territories (without getting control of them)?

No, once an allied transport has unloaded it is done for the turn.

Yes.  The Dutch go to war with Japan at the same time UK goes to war.

• @Juglareskatales:

I have another two questions.

You can’t unload 2 units from an allied transport and simultaneously reload the same transport with 2 new units, BUT YOU CAN unload 1 unit from an allied transport in noncombat movement and simultaneously load 1 new unit onto that same transport (the other slot?  Not sure about this part).  In other words, I’m not sure that you can unload a non-infantry unit and also load a non-infantry unit at the same time.

I only know that this is possible because Krieghund has said this before. (You can simultaneously load 1 unit and unload a previously loaded unit, from an ally’s transport)

Yes, because those are friendly territories.
    Note that the USA can NEVER take control of Dutch territories when they are under Allied control - that is a special thing for UK/ANZ only.  USA can take control of Dutch territories when wresting it from an Axis power.

• Official Q&A

After a transport offloads, it may never load again in the same turn.

• '12

@Krieghund:

After a transport offloads, it may never load again in the same turn.

gamer where did u get that offload and reload the slot deal?  Only way u could do that is if one power off loads the slot and another power loads it.

• Well I could have misunderstood, and it would take some effort to find the post, but I have in my notes that you could.

Example:
    French turn.  There is a UK transport in 110 loaded with a French infantry.  During French non-com, you can load an infantry from London onto that transport, and also unload the infantry that was on the transport, to Normandy/Holland.

Technically that’s not loading after an unload, so Krieghund, your response an hour ago doesn’t really correct what I said.  You definitely gave me that impression, though it may have been a miscommunication on your end or mine.  I’ll see if I can find the post, this evening.  I was sure enough to pencil it into my rule book.

• Official Q&A

Yes, that’s right, you could have an allied transport with one of your units already on it at the beginning of your turn, load another of your units, then offload the original unit.  That wouldn’t violate the rule that the transport can’t load after offloading.

As far as the requirement that one of the units on the transport be an infantry, that’s covered by the fact that you must load before offloading, as the transport’s cargo would have to be legal after the load.  The type of the loaded and offloaded units would be restricted only by that.  That was the point I was making (or trying to) by my post.

• Thanks a lot for the clarification - like I said, I wasn’t sure about whether they couldn’t both be non-infantry.  I’ll add that to my penciled in notes  :-)

• '22 '16

Lets say Japan has not attacked UK yet.  On UKs turn they move a destroyer into the same sz as Japan.  On Japans turn they attack UK.  Does the destroyer being present prevent the navy from moving on the combat phase and can transports load in that sz during the combat phase?  Thanks!

• See page 13-14 of the Europe manual for your options when you begin your turn with enemy surface warships in your zone.  There are 4 bullet points at the top of 14

Transports can load in that seazone, but only to conduct amphibious assaults.  See blue bar on page 12, first paragraph.

• '22 '16

Got it!  Thanks Gamerman!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m