• note I place an option so voters can choose two battles.

When making the list I thought of how the outcome of the battle brought a major change political, social change or changed our world today.

• I forgot the Battle of Blenheim.

• '10

Gettysburg! Can you even begin to imagine what history would have been like if we were two nations instead of one?

• I chose Vienna, had the Turks captured Vienna, Western Europe would have been for the taking.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Hastings and Marathon.

No British Empire… or a Persia Europe… Wow.

Gettysburg is a good call for third.

• Same reason you chose Vienna Worsham, I chose Tours. Islam was set to spread throughout Western Europe and Charles Martel stopped it. Was an Infantry army defeating a Cavalry one. The Muslim commander was killed too.  Go the Franks!
    1492 was a long way away though.

• Was Gettysburg that decisive compared to other battles? Had the South won that battle, it doesn’t change the outcome of Vicksburg, the defeats in Eastern Tennessee, Atlanta and the March to the Sea.

• '10

@ABWorsham:

Was Gettysburg that decisive compared to other battles? Had the South won that battle, it doesn’t change the outcome of Vicksburg, the defeats in Eastern Tennessee, Atlanta and the March to the Sea.

All that does not matter. If Lee defeats the army of the Patomac then nothing stands between Lee and Washington but some garrison troops. Lincoln probably asks for an armistice.

• @Fishmoto37:

@ABWorsham:

Was Gettysburg that decisive compared to other battles? Had the South won that battle, it doesn’t change the outcome of Vicksburg, the defeats in Eastern Tennessee, Atlanta and the March to the Sea.

All that does not matter. If Lee defeats the army of the Patomac then nothing stands between Lee and Washington but some garrison troops. Lincoln probably asks for an armistice.

Not a chance Lee takes or even pressures Washington into armistice. Even if Lee wins the Battle his Army takes huge casualties and is in no shape to take Washington. It took Grant 9 months to take Petersburg, and Grant had resources Lee could never muster. Garrison troops would have been manning positions that were in place for months.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

LOL Gettysburgh is the only battle with 2 votes!

• It is early yet Garg.
    The Civil War was lost in the West, starting with Nashville and Vicksburg was a greater loss than Nashville.  I agree that a Southern victory at Gettysburg would not have equated to the fall of Washington or an armistice, despite Lee’s hopes for one.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m