• It appears from the rulebook that ships can only be repaired at a friendly operative naval base. Is this right? It seems kind of odd that you can build a BB from scratch at a territory containing only an IC, but can’t repair the ship there?

Also, can the USA get their ship repaired at a Russian naval base? It says “any friendly.”
    Seems odd that the Russians would carry US parts.

• yea its true, u need to be at a naval base to repair.  And yes us can be repaired at a russian naval base so long as russia and us are at war on that side of the board, i think.

• TripleA

Russia and USA just need to be at war with the same thing. If USA is at war, but Russia is only at war with Japan then yes USA can repair at Russia at either side.

• @Cow:

Russia and USA just need to be at war with the same thing. If USA is at war, but Russia is only at war with Japan then yes USA can repair at Russia at either side.

No, Russia must be at war with a euro axis power to no longer be considered neutral on the europe board. So no, the us could only repair on the Europe board at Russian naval bases once Russia is at war with Germany or Italy.  It is not a matter of being at war with the “same thing”.

• @Der:

It appears from the rulebook that ships can only be repaired at a friendly operative naval base. Is this right? It seems kind of odd that you can build a BB from scratch at a territory containing only an IC, but can’t repair the ship there?

Think about an automobile. It was built in a factory, but you get it repaired at a garage. Different functions for different bits of infrastructure!

@Der:

Also, can the USA get their ship repaired at a Russian naval base? It says “any friendly.”
    Seems odd that the Russians would carry US parts.

The Russians don’t need to carry US parts. They just need to patch up the ships well enough to get them seaworthy again. In the case of severe damage, they’d probably replace the destroyed parts wholesale with Russian analogues. Any port in a storm…  :-D

• I recall someone had the idea of a house rule once where you could only build ships from territories with an IC and a naval base.  I would soften that a bit and say only mobilize ships in a sea zone with an adjacent IC and an adjacent naval base but not necessarily in the same land territory (e.g. Rumania IC and Greece naval base; naval base in Hainan and IC in French Indochina).  Makes sense to me

• Hi Vance. I may not have been the first, but I did say ( and still believe) Capital Ships should only be allowed to be built in an IC where there is a Naval Base.

• TripleA

they should have kept this game simpler so there wouldn’t be 200+ pages of FAQ

• most of the questions in the FAQ are repeated derivations - submarine rules are VERY FREQUENTLY asked, for example.  Certainly, there are many rules unique to each unit, but once you understand the base rules (AA50 or revised with additions), then the diplomatic rules and scrambling are pretty much the only new thing.  Probably 2/3 to 3/4 of the questions in the 1940 FAQ are the same questions in the Revised/AA50/1942 forums.  I bet 20% of those involve submarine rules, and another 20% are when you can use a facility.  And most of the rule conundrums are posed by people who haven’t actually read the rule book.  Most people just scan it or are playing with someone who has played before who’s more familiar, but hasn’t read the book either.

• TripleA

well to be honest, people only retain so much knowledge after reading something once… which is why it is easy to forget. plus the rulebook says roundabout things. then there are the alpha changes so it sucks soemtimes.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

@Cow:

they should have kept this game simpler so there wouldn’t be 200+ pages of FAQ

That’s what the 1942 edition is for Cow.

And if that’s too tricky to wrap your mind around there is always 1941 for you.

Some of us like the relative complexity.  :wink:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m