Picked this up today; have a couple questions.

• First off, I’m completely new to A&A. I’ve been wanting to get into it for a long time, and I was very shocked to run into at Wal-Mart today. My girlfriend and I immediately bought it. We’ve begun a game (took us a while to get things going) and will have to continue it later this week. In the mean time, I have a couple of questions for all of you vets. I hope you don’t mind answering to an absolute newbie :)

1. Is this a good version to learn with? I’ve read that it’s a very simplified version, and it sure seems to be. Still, it seems like quite an undertaking.

2. Is the game fair enough for both sides being controlled by absolute newbies? I’ve read that the Axis have the advantage, which makes sense given the whole 1941 scenario. I’m playing as the Axis and am already getting beaten, but that’s not necessarily the point ;) We’d like to be able to give this game a decent lifespan without it getting boring.

3. In the instance that it does get a bit dull and/or we seem to outgrow it, what would be the next version to purchase? To me, the next logical step seems to be 1942 Second Edition. Looks to have a larger amount of pieces, much bigger board and greater unit diversity. Plus, it’s not TOO expensive. I wouldn’t mind shelling out 55 dollars for it assuming it’s a substantial upgrade from 1941.

4. A more direct gameplay question: can infantry take out tanks/aircraft? I hope so, because that’s how we’ve started it. Made for some very hilarious first encounters. If it isn’t possible, we’d also love to know that as well.

All in all, I see this becoming an excellent hobby. I just hope that 2 players is enough to enjoy it properly. Thanks for your time, guys. I know you know your stuff and I look forward to your replies.

• 1. Yes. Rules have been simplified.
    2. Is probably Axis biased, but Japan has to be played well: they have to go after the money and reduce UK’s income. They should avoid confronting US, as losing the fleet spells the end for them(in all games this is the case). Russia is very weak in this game.
    3. 1942 is the next step.
    4. Inf can kill Air or Tanks,yes. And Air can kill other Air, ground or Naval. Ground units cannot attack Naval units. Subs are special:  to attack one you need to bring a Destroyer
    or they can choose to disengage instead of rolling a (poor) 1 for defence. This is known as submerging. If you have a Destroyer then Air units and other Naval can attack one, as they could no longer disengage(submerge).
    Hope this helps.

• @Xavier:

2. Is the game fair enough for both sides being controlled by absolute newbies? I’ve read that the Axis have the advantage, which makes sense given the whole 1941 scenario. I’m playing as the Axis and am already getting beaten, but that’s not necessarily the point ;) We’d like to be able to give this game a decent lifespan without it getting boring.

If you get to the point where you feel like one side or the other has too much of an advantage, then you can balance the game by bidding. One player offers to take a side and issues a positive, nonzero, bid. The other player may issue a lower bid for the same side. This continues until one player declines to issue a lower bid. At that point the player who declined takes the other side, and the player who bid gets to place up to the bid amount in IPCs worth of units on the board at the start of the game. Unspent IPCs from the bid are lost. Units may only be placed on spaces with units from that same power.

For example, your girlfriend starts the bidding and says Allies, 9. You say Allies, 6. She declines to beat the bid. You get the Allies and place up to 6 IPCs worth of units immediately. You could place 1 Armor (ARM), 1 Submarine (SS), 2 Infantry (INF) or 1 INF (you would lose the other 3 IPCs).

• @Xavier:

4. A more direct gameplay question: can infantry take out tanks/aircraft? I hope so, because that’s how we’ve started it. Made for some very hilarious first encounters. If it isn’t possible, we’d also love to know that as well.

I know it’s funny to think of one guy with a rifle shooting down a B-17. One infantry piece represents a variable number of units, typically multiple divisions, which would include some anti-tank and anti-air capabilities.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Xavier, sounds like you’ve got everything figured right!

Now you just play and have fun. :)

The trick to avoid -boring- games, is to break from typical planning, and go -unconvential-.

Say you built for England! Or tried for America!  Both sides are definetly going to have some fun in that game lol… and it’ll never get boring.

• '17 '15

Question about submarines:What if I’m moving with one submarine and one battleship into a seazone to attack the enemy’s submarine?Can I shoot with both when i’m attacking?Can my battleship(when attacking)'‘see’'the submarine without a destroyer?

• Official Q&A

If the enemy sub doesn’t choose to submerge first, both ships can attack it.  Only air units require a destroyer to allow them to attack subs.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m