• According to this poll, the average bid is 5

• @arwaker:

According to this poll, the average bid is 5

The problem is that a lot of people on here don’t believe in bids because they want the true “Out of the box” experience. So while it might look like the average is 5, the real average bid is more like 10. With most bids going from 9-11.

• New to the board and this is my first post, so apologies in advance if this has already been covered elsewhere, but what do others think about – instead of giving the Allies a first round bid – the start location of Germany’s Atlantic wolfpack of two subs is moved one seazone to the east so that on G1 Germany no longer has the option of wiping out the US East Coast DD and 2 TR?  Germany would still have the subs, of course, and they could go after the Brit DD and TR off of Canada, the Cruiser in the Med, or join the Baltic fleet attack on the Brit Navy off the UK, so it’s not as if Germany suffers overly much, but it does allow the Americans to have the core of a deployable amphibious force starting from the very get-go.  And the Nazi U-Boat pens were located in the French coastal areas that border that very Sea Zone I’m talking about, which would add a dash of historical authenticity as well.  I’ve only tried this a few times with a crew of players who are fairly inexperienced (myself included), but it does seem to make our games a lot more competitive than the typical Axis cakewalks we had endured when simply playing the opening set-up.

• Welcome and thank you for your opening post and thoughts.
    The American European set up is dreadful and needs rectifying. I play on these boards and with friends and we often give the US a Cruiser, which is enough to put off this German move.
    Your suggestion would also work, but the Allies would still have to wait a turn before they could land in Africa, needing a European Carrier buy and possibly another warship.
    If you are against giving a bid, then I can see how your idea would help.
    I do, however, think the Allies need more help.

• '19 '17 '16

Isn’t this in the wrong forum.

• I put 10-12 bid. This gives the Allies some options, depending on who I’m playing. I usually go one of 3 ways.
    1. Give Russia 4 infantry to use as fodder for the Ukraine strafe and the W. Russia attack. It gives Russia about 1 or 2 extra turns to live.
    2. Giving Russia 3 artillery for its Japanese front. This seriously screws the Japs in J1 if they want to make an assault on Russia.
    3. Giving 2 infantry to Russia and 2 infantry to India. The two Indian infantry I use on an attack on Borneo on UK1. I can get away with this depending on who I’m playing.

• Even with the U.S. east fleet gone I still think allies can win with no extra help.  I really like the idea of the Russian fighter in Egypt though! I will have to try that next time I play.

• It would be interesting to see the results of a new poll to reflect the experience gained over the last 3 years since that poll was initially set up.

I realize bidding is an accepted form of balancing A&A and has a long history, but it would be nice to see a standard revised setup to address the bulk of the concern over balance; bidding could then be used for those that think the revised setup doesn’t go far enough or for different skill levels among players.  There is precedent for this with A&A 1941 which I think was the right decision by Larry, Krieghund and Hasbro.

• I’m always happy to play either side, so I just let my opponent choose

We are currently in the process of doing a tournament and we are down to the last semi-final game, but we’ve had 13 completed games so far.  Here are the results:

Allied bid (winner)

16 (Allies)
    12 (Axis)
    10 (Axis)
    9 (Axis)
    21 (Axis)
    9 (Allies)
    11 (Allies)
    5 (Axis)
    9 (Axis)
    15 (Allies)
    22 (Axis)
    12 (Axis)
    20 (Allies)

So we’ve had 8 Axis winners and 5 Allied winners.  The Avg is 13.15.

Obviously, this is a small sample size, but it gives you an idea where bids are coming in for some competitive games.  The Allies have some wins at 9 and 11, but in the more competitive type games your probably going to want to go 13,14+ and get near or above 15 if you can.  The Allies scored 2 more wins at 15 and then 16.
    Axis were 6-2 with bids 14 and under.  And then 2-3 with bids 15+.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m