• @Make_It_Round:

…Or, if this seems to unlikely to you, imagine a “Battle for Paris” A&A game where the French and British need to hold out against a German assault for a set number of turns (which exceeds their historical performance) to win. That might also be playable, and would require a more representative set of French sculpts as a sale point.

The Battle of France would make a great A&A game. Because of the facts of history and how they translate to A&A games, you might be able to have a game that was more accurate AND more balanced than any previous A&A game. This would probably translate into more fun for more players.

With a May 10, 1940 starting date, the forces could be historically accurate and very well balanced. Both sides had between 3.3-3.4 million troops. The Allies had advantages in artillery, 2:1, and armored units, 3:2, but the Germans had the advantage in aircraft, 2:1.

I envision the map showng all of France, Belgium, Netherlands, and Switzerland; western Germany, including Frankfurt; northwestern Italy; the northwestern Mediterranean; the English Channel; and Southern England, including London. The Germans win if they take Paris or London. The Allies win if they take Frankfurt or if they hold Paris and London for some length of time.

It would be cool to show Berlin because in the actual war the British & French would have had to take it to win in 1940, but I don’t think you get enough game play value to extend the map that far east.

• I would like that, as the only Fall of France game I own is too complicated and have never done anything except set it up!
    Would like an Eastern Front one first though.

• @Make_It_Round:

…Or, if this seems to unlikely to you, imagine a “Battle for Paris” A&A game where the French and British need to hold out against a German assault for a set number of turns (which exceeds their historical performance) to win. That might also be playable, and would require a more representative set of French sculpts as a sale point.

The Battle of France would make a great A&A game. Because of the facts of history and how they translate to A&A games, you might be able to have a game that was more accurate AND more balanced than any previous A&A game. This would probably translate into more fun for more players.

With a May 10, 1940 starting date, the forces could be historically accurate and very well balanced. Both sides had between 3.3-3.4 million troops. The Allies had advantages in artillery, 2:1, and armored units, 3:2, but the Germans had the advantage in aircraft, 2:1.

I envision the map showng all of France, Belgium, Netherlands, and Switzerland; western Germany, including Frankfurt; northwestern Italy; the northwestern Mediterranean; the English Channel; and Southern England, including London. The Germans win if they take Paris or London. The Allies win if they take Frankfurt or if they hold Paris and London for some length of time.

Might be nice to make a Battle of the Bulge type game and assign several possible objectives to both Allies (capture Frankfurt, secure the Channel ports, etc.) and the Axis (conquer Paris, reduce the Maginot Line, race to the Channel to encircle the BEF and the French on Belgium, secure Holland and Belgium, etc.)

• Hey if they do make a Battle of France game and the balance goes horribly wrong and the game is impossible for the Allies to win, then you could say well that’s kind of the way the battle went anyway.

• Customizer

If they came out with this game, or a Mediterranean Theater game, would they have the action of the Royal Navy trashing the French Fleet at Mers-al-Kabir? Perhaps since it’s a game, there could be the possibility of the French Fleet fighting back or even defeating the Royal Navy. Afterwards maybe they would end up joining the Axis in conquering the Med.

• The French do not beat the English Navy. Ever.
    Would have to be a rule or considered a bum roll.

• Customizer

Wow.

Everybody gets their own roster of units (except France).

I’m in.

HBG, FMG, do France next.

• Hi Jim.
    If you did me a deal or we could buy without taxes here in Europe(smaller packages), I could spread your units all over Europe!
    A&A miniatures could spread like never before.
    Have you not approached AmazonUK or any other games group?
    Excuse me if this is a rude question.

• Customizer

Not rude at all, but I don’t have anything to do with FMG or HBG’s units.

• @jim010:

Wow.Â

Everybody gets their own roster of units (except France).

I’m in.

HBG, FMG, do France next.

I agree. when is the French set out again?

• Battle of France theatre game…… France, Holland and British expeditionary force versus Germany & Italy.  There would have to be terrain rules (i.e. forest, city, mountain, & river crossings slow mech & armor) and fortifications (maginot line).  If you could get it just right, the sickle cut move could be the high risk high reward gambit (like sealion in Global) versus the standard “keep the right flank strong” approach that would be more likely to work but if you screw it up get bogged down and lose by attrition.  UK tries to evacuate troops if things go badly, while Italy makes a small move in the south.  Very cool.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

If only they could make it so you could play it -blind- with each side -somewhat- unaware of what their opponent was up to.

Like task force markers moving on the map, but the actual individual units divided up and hidden behind a seperate board.

• @Gargantua:

If only they could make it so you could play it -blind- with each side -somewhat- unaware of what their opponent was up to.

Like task force markers moving on the map, but the actual individual units divided up and hidden behind a seperate board.

• Another angle which might be taken on the Battle of France could be through a political rule option which sees all of France being occupied by Germany but without the French government surrendering and without a Vichy regime being set up.  In this kind of scenario (which Churchill was hoping would happen), the French government would set up a government-in-exile in London and would continue to fight from the various corners of the French colonial empire.

• Customizer

@Gargantua:

Something like the game Shogun? Rather, I guess it’s called Samurai Swords now.

• Has anyone seen the 2nd edition maps of both Europe and Pacific next to each other? Did they fix the ocean color so they match? Did they fix the Russian territory color so they match?

• Customizer

@Yavid:

Has anyone seen the 2nd edition maps of both Europe and Pacific next to each other? Did they fix the ocean color so they match? Did they fix the Russian territory color so they match?

I would like to know this as well. I would also like to know what the top edge of the pacific board looks like. The national production chart was conveniently out of frame in all the pictures. I hav this erie (but hopefully unfounded) feeling that the chart might include 2 rows.

• Notice how the IPCs on the Europe map go up to 40, so the Pacific map IPCs could start at 1 and if you’re playing Global you just add 40.  Whatever, use monopoly money.

• Customizer

I think they would have to make the maps that way for people that want to play Europe or Pacific by themselves. Not everyone would necessarily want to play Global. I agree that it’s kind of a weird way of doing the IPC chart. They probably should have left that as a separate piece.

• Customizer

Separate detached chart is thebest solution in most cases. However if charts are printed on both maps I strongly prefer a global chart. I really think most people buy pacific for global and not for separate standalone game anyways.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m