• I was just wondering what everyone thought of the new map.  I tried searching but didn’t see anyone talking about this.  The 42.1 map seems to be almost identical to the old revised map which has been around a long time now.

The new map seems to almost force the Allied forces to do KJF.  More of the UK/US atlantic ships are destroyed on G1 now, and US Pearl Harbor 2 doesn’t look feasible anymore for J1.  Also UK1 has fairly good odds to destroy the BB, CV, 2x FTR in SZ37, especially if RUS1 puts the Moscow FTR in Egypt.  Then you consider that UK starts with an IC in India and Kwang and Kiang are now 2IPC each so buying IC’s for them doesn’t seem worth it anymore.  Not to mention the distance from a 3IPC japanese mainland territory to India is a minimum of 3 turns away with tanks.  (It used to be J1 you were dropping 2 IC’s and taking india either J1 or J2, MAYBE J3/4 if UK defended it.  Now it’s more like J6, if ever.  In all my revised games i think i saw a KJF maybe once ever, now it seems to be just the opposite.)

Before it was a race to Moscow and Berlin, now it seems to be a race to Caucuses and India with the heat shifting from Germany to Japan.

• I like the switch in focus since I typically like playing japan anyway. However, I find the maps not lining up a little irritating. I will so have to download a supreme 42.2 map assuming one is eventually on the way.

• I also usually play Axis, mostly because the people i play aren’t as good as i am, so i pick the harder side to win with which has historically been Axis.  I still end up winning almost all my games.

I kind of like the switch in focus also, i just hope it doesn’t make it TOO difficult for Axis to win like Cromwell describes.  Do you foresee an Axis bid soon for japan, if so how much and where would you put it?

• @Sean.C:

Before it was a race to Moscow and Berlin, now it seems to be a race to Caucuses and India with the heat shifting from Germany to Japan.

From my experience it also depends on the VC conditions. If the Allies go KGF on Standard Victory then Germany can simply on focus taking Leningrad while Japan masses against India and takes Honolulu. Single pushes by Germany to take the Caucasus may be impossible, depending on the presence of UK and US units to bolster its defense.
    Allied KGF strategies on standard can also work if the UK manages to hold to India long enough and withdrawal its stack of units safely to Russia to prevent its fall before Germany falls to the Allies.

Overall the map isn’t significantly different from 42.1 regarding income. Which means that the Allies should be able to hold Japan long enough after India falls to take down Germany. Losing the IC is bad news but at the same time it wins a lot of time for Russia on Asia.

I agree with 42.2 favoring a KJF (but at the same time choosing that option weakens Russia because of sending the fighter to Egypt) but then the hard challlenge is to stop Germany from conquering Russia.

Oh, and the harder side of both editions of 42 is considered to be Allies, not Axis.

• @Cromwell_Dude:

1942.2 map just quickens the Allied victory, in my opinion.

I feel like the sitrep in the Atlantic slows me down as Allies… could you be more specific about how it quickens the Allied victory (if for no reason but to improve my game?)  =)

• TripleA '12

I much prefer this new map to the older one. I love the additions of new territories and sea zones, and the fact that French Indochina Thailand/Malaya are no longer connected to Kwangtung. I like the interaction of the territories on the eastern front.

Maybe a vote option could be added to this thread?  :-)

• @Lozmoid:

Maybe a vote option could be added to this thread?  :-)

Couldn’t figure out how to change this post to a poll, so I made a new post.  Perhaps a mod can merge the 2 posts?

• @Cromwell_Dude:

Addendum: @MistuhJay-I just came on to say thank you because I couldn’t sleep. Just saw your post to me. I’ve got to get up in 6 hours. I will write you a sincere email tomorrow hopefully where I put my heart into it and not just respond to respond.

Much appreciated!

• @Hobbes:

I agree with 42.2 favoring a KJF (but at the same time choosing that option weakens Russia because of sending the fighter to Egypt) but then the hard challlenge is to stop Germany from conquering Russia.

I still feel committed to a KGF on the 42.2 map, because I don’t see how a KJF strategy will act fast enough to work before Germany pummels Russia. I suppose the stack W.Rus and Ukraine opener on R1 will help, but in a KJF I feel as I have to put the the US 100% in the Pacific. If I do that, UK can’t get a solid Atlantic drop to ship troops over to help Russia make a stand or make a solid attack on France/Norway territories fast enough. Do you guys island hop or win in E. Asia first in a KJF?  With island hopping, it seems to take a bit longer on this map mainly because the US can’t hit the East Indies anymore from the Solomon Islands and Japan can counter a Borneo or Philippines take over…so more fleets are needed. With E. Asia, Japan still takes China and a Buryatia capture is even easier. How are players quickly recovering from that or how do you counter that in a KJF?

• With respect to the original poster, I like this map because it made me reinvent my strats…mainly for the allies though. The 42.1 map was starting to get predictable in certain situations…not to mention it had those hard to see lines in the German\Russia front. (if you are using the actual board and not playing online.)  Another notable difference is that US naval forces can’t get to UK in on move, it’s three spaces now…and to make it worse, any German naval units in the Baltic can strike at any UK SZ.

Due to noticeable changes this map feels like halfway between 42.1 and Anniversary map…I like it.

• First of all, i know its early but im almost certain Allies need a bid, albeit a small one. The gencon tournament saw bids go towards the allies, not the axis at almost all games. Two elite players facing each other, i believe Allies need an 6-8bid to a) buy a destroyer for the US or UK/ 1inf in egypt and 1 art in russia. I know Japan is in a tough spot, but Germany starts off incredibly better then before, even if Africa is tougher. Germany can wipe the US and UK fleets entirely on GER1, with a casualty of about 1 plane. After that UK needs to either help Africa by sending guys from India(but japan can hit stronger now…) But bids are always more fun anyway and balance is not the point of this thread…

On a side note, this picture of the 1942.2 setup on the axis and allies homepage is missing a crucial transport and destroyer in sz61
    The map is MUCH better. The more territories in asia is what 1942 absolutely need. Its longer to go through china(more territory to grab on the way), and 1 more territory from Manchuria to Moscow via the russian lands.

Eastern europe is alright, although not a big fan of that ridiculously big west russia which is overly important.

Western Europe is awesome. The double drop zone (finland-norway),(france-netherland),(balkans-Italy) is a real game changer and puts the axis in a different situation where they will have to play the counterattacking game instead of the stacking defense(which is always more pleasant anyway).

Africa is slightly more advantageous now to the allies, because of the extra territories, it will take longer for germany to conquer it, thus giving more time for the US to help.

I don’t know why people say Pearl Harbor cannot be done anymore - don’t forget that the Japanese sub is now absolutely untouchable with the new rules and can always go for Pearl Harbor. You can get 3 fighters(9), 1 bomber(4), 1 cruiser(3), 1 sub(2) and 1 AC(1) (grand total of 19) VS sub(1),destroyer(2),AC(2),fighter(4) (Grand total of 9).

Dont forget AC defends at 2 and Sub defend at 1 in 1942.2. Transports do not participate in battle. For those wondering how you can get 3 fighters in pearl harbor btw, it assumes you will land 2 fighters on the AC and 1 fighter on Wake island. Even if you lose the 2 fighters and the AC on the US counter attack US would lose at least on average 1 fighter and the destroyer.

I think KGF and KJF are both viable, but need to be done entirely…

• First of all, i know its early but im almost certain Allies need a bid, albeit a small one. The gencon tournament saw bids go towards the allies, not the axis at almost all games. Two elite players facing each other, i believe Allies need an 6-9bid to a) buy a destroyer for the US or UK/ 1inf in egypt and 1 art in russia. In fact 9 could have 3 inf, or 1sub+1inf buys as well. I know Japan is in a tough spot, but Germany starts off incredibly better then before, even if Africa is tougher. Germany can wipe the US and UK fleets entirely on GER1, with a casualty of about 1 plane and 2-3 subs. After that UK needs to either help Africa by sending guys from India(but japan can hit stronger now…) But bids are always more fun anyway and balance is not the point of this thread…

On a side note, the picture of the 1942.2 setup on the axis and allies homepage is missing a crucial transport and destroyer in sz61
    The map is MUCH better. The more territories in asia is what 1942 absolutely need. Its longer to go through china(more territory to grab on the way), and 1 more territory from Manchuria to Moscow via the russian lands.

Eastern europe is alright, although not a big fan of that ridiculously big west russia which is overly important.

Western Europe is awesome. The double drop zone (finland-norway),(france-netherland),(balkans-Italy) is a real game changer and puts the axis in a different situation where they will have to play the counterattacking game instead of the stacking defense(which is always more pleasant anyway).

Africa is slightly more advantageous now to the allies, because of the extra territories, it will take longer for germany to conquer it, thus giving more time for the US to help.

I don’t know why people say Pearl Harbor cannot be done anymore - don’t forget that the Japanese sub is now absolutely untouchable with the new rules and can always go for Pearl Harbor. You can get 3 fighters(9), 1 bomber(4), 1 cruiser(3), 1 sub(2) and 1 AC(1) (grand total of 19) VS sub(1),destroyer(2),AC(2),fighter(4) (Grand total of 9).

Dont forget AC defends at 2 and Sub defend at 1 in 1942.2. Transports do not participate in battle. For those wondering how you can get 3 fighters in pearl harbor btw, it assumes you will land 2 fighters on the AC and 1 fighter on Wake island. Even if you lose the 2 fighters and the AC on the US counter attack US would lose at least on average 1 fighter and the destroyer.

I think KGF and KJF are both viable and its hard to see a ‘‘better’’ option.

Good game, happy i bought it, much needed refreshment from the 1942 revised i played the hell out.

On a side note, allowing America to buy 1 inf per turn and place it in green china territory is an awesome house rule that should be used everytime. Adds a lot of fun to the game.

• @adaptation:

On a side note, the picture of the 1942.2 setup on the axis and allies homepage is missing a crucial transport and destroyer in sz61

The missing transport and destroyer are in SZ62 instead of SZ61.  They are in the picture, just in the wrong sea zone.

• @adaptation:

Over 95% chance of victory with average IPC losses around 16-18 depending on if you chose to lose a bomber or fighter after your sub.

Then you end up defending with 2 fighters ( 8 ), 1 cruiser (3), and 1 AC (2) (grand total of 13) VS 2 fighters (6), 1 bomber (4), 1 destroyer (2), and 1 battleship (4) (grand total of 16).

Over 95% chance of losing your Japanese fleet with an average IPC loss around 18-20 for America depending on if they chose to kill a fighter or bomber after their destroyer.

Then you have to consider that UK1 has almost a 70% chance of wiping out the other half of your japanese fleet.

You’re goal here is India, not America.  The only reason people did it before was it was a slam dunk with no losses most of the time with units you didn’t need for India anyhow.  It’s a completely different story now.  Now your looking at the annihilation of a majority of your fleet that you actually need to help take India.

• @Cromwell_Dude:

Ok, I had some free time. Thought about your post today. And, your post was exactly what I needed at this moment. I needed some thing / some one to just push me over the edge and play the new 1942. I would sound like a complete idiot to say any more without playing the game. I’m going to see if I can get a game going Labor Day weekend.

Awesome! Let us know how it goes.

• Agreed…the UK wipes out the Southern fleet, then US1 finishes off your last carrier…Japan can’t provide any FTRs to Germany if needed, can’t take India (India will be in position to take Asia now)…Even if UK doesn’t attack, let the US come towards Japanese soil…I encourage it.

• @Sean.C:

@adaptation:

Over 95% chance of victory with average IPC losses around 16-18 depending on if you chose to lose a bomber or fighter after your sub.

Then you end up defending with 2 fighters ( 8 ), 1 cruiser (3), and 1 AC (2) (grand total of 13) VS 2 fighters (6), 1 bomber (4), 1 destroyer (2), and 1 battleship (4) (grand total of 16).

Over 95% chance of losing your Japanese fleet with an average IPC loss around 18-20 for America depending on if they chose to kill a fighter or bomber after their destroyer.

Plus US player submerges the sub right at the beginning of the J1 attack, allowing it to participate on the counter on US2…

Then you have to consider that UK1 has almost a 70% chance of wiping out the other half of your japanese fleet

You’re goal here is India, not America.  The only reason people did it before was it was a slam dunk with no losses most of the time with units you didn’t need for India anyhow.  It’s a completely different story now.  Now your looking at the annihilation of a majority of your fleet that you actually need to help take India.

Yup, if the UK attacked SZ37 then Japan has to wipe out any remaining UK fleet from that attack and get the UK transports as quickly as possible. Attacking the US fleet almost removes Japan from the Pacific after US1.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m