• @Petebu:

What was the common factor why the Allies won in your games?

How and when to prevent India from falling to Japan, either if you are going for KGF or KJF.

If you are playing Allies, for the first five rounds your goal is to stop the Axis from raising their combined income from more than 80 IPCs. Achieve it and you’ll be on your way to victory.

• It sounds like buying a carrier for Germany is not a good idea. I read some post on here that some players were buying the carrier for the Baltic sea.  The carrier would take away the hard push towards Moscow.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

You know, I played chess a few (3 times) and white won every game.

Clearly it’s imbalanced, and black needs an extra pawn on the board.

• @Gargantua:

You know, I played chess a few (3 times) and white won every game.

Clearly it’s imbalanced, and black needs an extra pawn on the board.

Very true. I’ve had that experience with chess myself.

I bid a Queen for black.

• I’ll take white and give you 2 pawns.

• @Vance:

I’ll take white and give you 2 pawns.

Deal. I place the black pawns on d3 and e3. You may start the game.

• TripleA

@_@

Well, the opener is extremely dicey, even with low luck. I don’t mind the standard opener being a bit of a gamble, but it is going to ruin lots of low luck games.

2 subs don’t always beat a destroyer… I really hate the setup. It is such a big swing, you send 2 subs to get dd 2x tran… you lose or draw -12 for 0 or 8, you win -0 or -6 for 22. I mean come on.

Don’t get me started with egypt. Say you win, fighter + bomber hits bship, which is a huge risk for both players. Say you lose, 2 fig + bomber, say bye to your africa dreams, and thanks for playing.

Say egypt fighter is still around, hits the east indies jap fleet with 60% odds. It is so polarizing how that turns out.

Say you go to gib, your bomber would have to take out the destroyer, otherwise dd + bomber vs bship,

The whole game is just flipping coins, if I want to play a real war game, I’ll pull out aa50.

The first round pretty much decides how the game goes.

• TripleA

you know two pawns could be really bad if white choose where to put them.

• @Slackaveli:

@Petebu:

Playing my first game tonight and I will be the Axis. My plan is to drive very hard after Russia with Germany. Do you think it is wise to by a carrier for Germany?

i like inf plus bomber on G1, tanks on G2 and 3 depends on how it’s going. get a russian factory and drop artillery there

Agree with Cow…had the US knock out both my subs, lost the BB, then my Ukraine stack got rolled…it is dicey.  But still would hit that US fleet everytime.  
    5inf/2art/SS/Bomber G1…hope Russia is dumb and doesn’t hit Ukraine.

• No complaints here on 42.2’s balance, per se. My gripe is that my opening options feel so limited-moves like attacking the US fleet with subs/UK going kamikaze at East Indies/Russia taking Ukraine & WRus feel more like forgone conclusions than true “options.”

• TripleA

If I bought naval for germany it would be for africa, rather than coin flipping for egypt. I shuffle guys there. Oh wait, Europe is worth more money, so I am buying ground and pound for russia… thanks for helping me make that decision easy larry harris.

You will win or lose this game at either caucasus or india. How egypt turns out determines who is winning or losing the game. Obviously if uk totally misses, germany gets africa and THANKS FOR PLAYING. or if the other result happens and germany totally misses, BYE GERMAN NAVAL AND HELLO TO IRON MOUNTAIN INDIA.

Real talk, this game is bad.
    ~
    Honestly, transports defend, armor @ 5, -1 cruiser off of australia, +1 armor for libya.

transports defending just helps the allies get on their feet and shipping men into the fight and nerfs the 2 subs attacking opener to the ground. to make up for this the axis get an armor to take egypt and a cruiser is lost off of australia.

The armor change helps axis strategies tremendously, be it a surge strategy for defending europe or japan’s armor blitz to russia.

Now, you can all have fun, roll dice, have a back and forth close game. Instead of win or lose off the bat. yay everyone is happy.

• @Hobbes:

@Vance:

I’ll take white and give you 2 pawns.

Deal. I place the black pawns on d3 and e3. You may start the game.

I concede.  sigh.

• @Cow:

If I bought naval for germany it would be for africa, rather than coin flipping for egypt. I shuffle guys there. Oh wait, Europe is worth more money, so I am buying ground and pound for russia… thanks for helping me make that decision easy larry harris.

You will win or lose this game at either caucasus or india. How egypt turns out determines who is winning or losing the game. Obviously if uk totally misses, germany gets africa and THANKS FOR PLAYING. or if the other result happens and germany totally misses, BYE GERMAN NAVAL AND HELLO TO IRON MOUNTAIN INDIA.

Real talk, this game is bad.

Exactly. Deciding how much to send exactly to conquer or liberate Africa is one of the key decisions for both the Axis and the Allied player. Send too much and you’ll be overspending for the income you get back.
    With the R1 move of the Moscow fighter going to Egypt it pretty much solves this issue of a risky G1 attack on Egypt. At the same time Germany can attack the cruiser on SZ14 with a sub and the Battleship… or place a destroyer on SZ15 to block the UK destroyer… plenty of options.

It’s a matter of choices for both sides. If Germany sends too much to Africa then it will take it longer to secure Karelia and go for Caucasus, while the same time the UK either defends Africa or holds Japan on the Indian Ocean. Japan, on the other hand, either goes for India or, if it’s too well guarded, bypasses India and goes after Russia by sending all of its starting units through Kwangtung-Szechwan-Kazakh. Or tries to hold out the Americans on the Pacific. And the UK/US need to decide whether to go KGF or KJF…

Lots of different choices here. Much better than Revised/Spring 42 where you basically had to defend/conquer Russia and that was it.

• What are you guys doing with your CA in G1? Does it attack SZ7 with the 2 SS (and optional Bomber/FTR )?  If the CA does and survives it seems like that sets back UK sending fighters in route to India or help killing the German BB if it killed the UK CA SZ14 (off Gib). I’d want to send a FTR, Bomber and maybe the surviving DD from ECanada to clean out SZ7.

The Altantic seems totally owned by the Axis now and it seems you have to plan your US/UK3 drop to perfection in order to even have a meaningful shot at invasion.

In the Pacific I don’t see the US being as effective as they used to be with having to commit so much to the Atlantic. Picking a KFG or KJF and sticking with it holds more true now it seems. Not that much room to balance with the US, which I believe was previously available.

• @ICinBrazil:

What are you guys doing with your CA in G1? Does it attack SZ7 with the 2 SS (and optional Bomber/FTR )?  If the CA does and survives it seems like that sets back UK sending fighters in route to India or help killing the German BB if it killed the UK CA SZ14 (off Gib). I’d want to send a FTR, Bomber and maybe the surviving DD from ECanada to clean out SZ7.

The Altantic seems totally owned by the Axis now and it seems you have to plan your US/UK3 drop to perfection in order to even have a meaningful shot at invasion.

In the Pacific I don’t see the US being as effective as they used to be with having to commit so much to the Atlantic. Picking a KFG or KJF and sticking with it holds more true now it seems. Not that much room to balance with the US, which I believe was previously available.

Nevermind. That scenario isn’t as bad as I thought. The FTR could still help clear out SZ7 and land in Archangel en route to India. Not to mention the other could potentially wipe out a sitting duck transport in the Baltic and end up in Archangel too. I’d just don’t like the German BB surviving.

• @ICinBrazil:

What are you guys doing with your CA in G1? Does it attack SZ7 with the 2 SS (and optional Bomber/FTR )?� If the CA does and survives it seems like that sets back UK sending fighters in route to India or help killing the German BB if it killed the UK CA SZ14 (off Gib). I’d want to send a FTR, Bomber and maybe the surviving DD from ECanada to clean out SZ7.

With me, just like that.

My first landing spot has been Algeria on US2. A drop on UK3 is possible but so far unlikely, depends on the naval situation.
    The rest is to set up a chain using 2 or 3 US transport fleets, depends on where you want to land. 2 transport fleets and you can set a shuck from Eastern Canada to either Morocco, NW Europe/France or Norway/Finland. With 3 fleets the shuck goes from there to the UK and then the units can be dropped in Germany itself.

• @Hobbes:

@ICinBrazil:

What are you guys doing with your CA in G1? Does it attack SZ7 with the 2 SS (and optional Bomber/FTR )?� If the CA does and survives it seems like that sets back UK sending fighters in route to India or help killing the German BB if it killed the UK CA SZ14 (off Gib). I’d want to send a FTR, Bomber and maybe the surviving DD from ECanada to clean out SZ7.

With me, just like that.

My first landing spot has been Algeria on US2. A drop on UK3 is possible but so far unlikely, depends on the naval situation.
    The rest is to set up a chain using 2 or 3 US transport fleets, depends on where you want to land. 2 transport fleets and you can set a shuck from Eastern Canada to either Morocco, NW Europe/France or Norway/Finland. With 3 fleets the shuck goes from there to the UK and then the units can be dropped in Germany itself.

By US/UK3 drop, I meant dropping a combined naval in UK SZ, not necessarily invading on that turn.

Getting to Africa was fairly easy in 42.1 I felt. But in 42.2, how the heck are you getting to Algeria in US2 if:
    A) 2 German SS took out your DD and 2 transports OR
    B) The Med German BB will be there waiting to sink your fleet along with some possible fighters from France OR
    C) You are wanting to commit your first US fleet to head north towards UK for combined naval force.

If trying to orchestrate strongly against any of the above, you seem to be greatly diminishing any WUS builds, which I don’t like. I want to hit the Philippines or Borneo sooner rather than later while being able to counter a Japan counter. US pacific campaign will be slow moving in this version…or you’ll really have to stick to a KGF tightly.

• What are you guys doing with your CA in G1? Does it attack SZ7 with the 2 SS (and optional Bomber/FTR )?� If the CA does and survives it seems like that sets back UK sending fighters in route to India or help killing the German BB if it killed the UK CA SZ14 (off Gib). I’d want to send a FTR, Bomber and maybe the surviving DD from ECanada to clean out SZ7.

With me, just like that.

Confused…how does sending the CA to SZ 7 delay the UK FTRs to India? � They can still land in Archangel…I understand you are protecting the BB (leaves the Baltic Transport avail to attack, but that FTR can still land in Archangel as well)…

Hobbes, landing US2 in Algeria? � Doesn’t that open to you losing those sea units G3? � Seems wasteful.

• Yeah. I realized that after I posted that you can still clear out SZ7 as UK and get the fighters to Archangel.

• @Mallery29:

Hobbes, landing US2 in Algeria? � Doesn’t that open to you losing those sea units G3? � Seems wasteful.

If you buy a carrier and 1/2 destroyers it may be enough to defend a landing, depending on G2 moves and losses. And if the US has the opportunity it should take it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m