Why are the allies so gimped lately? Why transports suck?

• @Cow:

I’ll entertain you with a low luck triplea revised game. Hop on the lobby. I haven’t played one of those since aa50 came out. You can probably tell that by my last revised game with functioneta, lol. I still remember all the different openers though.

No thanks. After Spring 1942 1st Ed. came out I stopped playing Revised, the same way I retired from Classic when Revised came out. I rather play something new than going back to the old maps and strategies :)

• @Cromwell_Dude:

Agreed. I never can go back to Classic or Revised. I am curious though if I will prefer 1942.2 over 1942.1.

Heh, I feel slightly guilty that my copy of Revised (all I had the last 8 years) is being neglected due to 1942.2.

• TripleA

Everything gets neglected with aa50 sitting around. Even the newer maps.

Hell, even online I can host a game of aa50 and someone will join in 2 minutes or I could sit and wait an hour for global.

I hate the revised version without the transports defending, that is the most predictable version they ever printed. Not sure what people set the allies bid at, revised was around 9 axis, not sure if people bid or how much for the allies.

• TripleA

So from what I gather, you guys like this edition simply because it is something new. hmmm

• @Cow:

So from what I gather, you guys like this edition simply because it is something new. hmmm

I own AAP&E40 and AA50 but the Revised/Spring 1942 were always my favorites because they are simpler and easier to play. And since they are all different editions to me the new one is always an upgrade. On 2nd Edition they went much further than from Revised to AA42.1 and it is forcing me to rethink all strats, which is healthy and a bigger challenge.

• @Cow:

Everything gets neglected with aa50 sitting around. Even the ne

Don’t worry, man. At this rate, Axis & Allies 50th (52nd?) Anniversary Second Edition will be out by Christmas.  =D

• TripleA

I just like both sides being able to have aggressive and defensive strategies available.

• With all the different unit options coming out recently I can easily see A&A moving to a 12 sided die. It is getting to the point where you need a bigger spread in attack and defend to really create niches for all the different pieces. Especially if you want to incorporate HBG’s or FMG’s pieces.

• @MajorTaylor87:

With all the different unit options coming out recently I can easily see A&A moving to a 12 sided die. It is getting to the point where you need a bigger spread in attack and defend to really create niches for all the different pieces. Especially if you want to incorporate HBG’s or FMG’s pieces.

The more complexity you add, the harder it gets for new players.

• @MistuhJay:

@Cromwell_Dude:

Agreed. I never can go back to Classic or Revised. I am curious though if I will prefer 1942.2 over 1942.1.

Heh, I feel slightly guilty that my copy of Revised (all I had the last 8 years) is being neglected due to 1942.2.

it’s worthless now, bro, just as 42 2nd will be the minute 52anny hit’s!

• Lol! Maybe we should establish an annual moment of silence for all the obsolete versions of AA we’ve accumulated over the years?

“Ah, Classic. How I knew ye…”

• Customizer

Our group plays Classic quite often, Anniversary has been getting the most plays lately but quite often, especially after a bout of Global, we’ll play Classic to cleanse the palate.

• TripleA

aa50 still has more going on for it, so that board will not likely die.

• Your right, historically speaking transports were armed, but from what I can tell only with AA guns.  So how about transports defend on a 1, but can only hit aircraft?  And you still have to select transports last as casualties.  Transports weren’t built to take combat hits, they were built to carry people, and equipment, and to be protected by other ships.

• TripleA '12

I like that Transports can defend at 1 but hits cannot be assigned to air units, pretty cool.

• @Lozmoid:

I like that Transports can defend at 1 but hits cannot be assigned to air units, pretty cool.

You mean can be assigned to only air units?  Transports taking out any other sort of naval vessel just doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.  I never understood how a transport with some AA guns could ever take out a destroyer, let alone a battleship.  MAYBE a sub if it was on the surface, but not if it’s submerged which i would think it would be if it was either attacking or about to be attacked.

• TripleA '12

Sean, you’re absolutely right - I meant “Transports can defend at 1 but hits cannot be assigned to sea units”. My bad.  :-)

• TripleA

Transports can ram into other ships, historically they have done so as well. Though I could only find instances of transports ramming into subs.

In all fairness to transports, they aren’t exactly in big naval showdowns such as midway/wake etc. They are equipped with AA guns and they can ram into stuff.

• @Cow:

Transports can ram into other ships, historically they have done so as well. Though I could only find instances of transports ramming into subs.

In all fairness to transports, they aren’t exactly in big naval showdowns such as midway/wake etc. They are equipped with AA guns and they can ram into stuff.

[sarcasm]Someone call up Larry Harris!  We need to get the ship ramming rule into the next revision!   :-D [/sarcasm]

You’re absolutely right, i don’t ever recall seeing a mass of transports taking out ships on big naval showdowns like midway/wake.  Making you choose transports last i think keeps transports out of major sea battles, which is the way it should be.

@Lozmoid:

Sean, you’re absolutely right - I meant “Transports can defend at 1 but hits cannot be assigned to sea units”. My bad. � :-)

The only thing i can think of why this might not make it into the game, or why it didn’t make it into the game, is because it almost requires a completely extra step during combat.  You have opening fire with subs, then you’d have regular combat, then you’d have transport fire that gets assigned to only air units.

• TripleA

Tanks shoot down fighters in this game… Yet transports cannot ram into ships.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m