Any opinions on AL Chief Justice Roy Moore's stance…

• I have a sinking feeling that if this was a historical copy of the Koran, nobody would dare bring up this issue, becuase they would be branded “uncompassionate” or “bigoted.” Why is it that these people only want to do away with so-called “Christian” icons?

• @Deviant:Scripter:

I have a sinking feeling that if this was a historical copy of the Koran, nobody would dare bring up this issue, becuase they would be branded “uncompassionate” or “bigoted.” Why is it that these people only want to do away with so-called “Christian” icons?

if i had a dime for every time i asked myself that question, i could drop out of med school.

• perhaps there would be less people, but i would still protest it, as you know, im against all religions :wink:

• @Deviant:Scripter:

I have a sinking feeling that if this was a historical copy of the Koran, nobody would dare bring up this issue, becuase they would be branded “uncompassionate” or “bigoted.” Why is it that these people only want to do away with so-called “Christian” icons?

Well, one of the big differences between Christianity and Islam is that the second has a political message. It is strobngly political, setting up explicit laws (like done by the Jews before). It is not only a religion (in the sense of soul saving), but also was meant to unify the arabs, and it gives the tool for that.
    So, from my point of view: I don’t that fact of Islam. Many others though who are frequently brought up, are brought up in a misunderstood fashion. And some things about Islam are actually very good ideas and would be extremely helpful even today, when implemented by other cultures.

• I may have interpreted your post incorrectly Falk, but I think you missed the point entirely.

• I was waiting to see if anybody didn’t understand that either. :P

• Probably i have misunderstood D:S then.
    Why don’t you all just post in german, that would make such a lot easier … for me :)

• If I spoke German, I would. Its a cool language. But sadly, I only speak some spanish. :cry:

• I know some German phrases, just so that if I show go trapped in a time machine and was sent back to the Roman Empire, I could at least mingle with the Germanic barbarian folk. :)

Ja = No

Nein = Yes

Sprechen Sie Englisch? = Do you speak English? (though everybody knows English now, so you can just be safe going, "Does anybody speak English? Si/No?)?

Ich verstehe nicht = I am such an idiot

Entschuldigen Sie bitte! = Excuse me, I’m an American! (cause all Germans love Americans)

Wo gibt es hier Bier = I want beer

Entschuldigen Sie bitte, wo finde ich hier eine Toilette = Often used after getting wasted/drunk

• I’ve been thinking about the issue and have changed my mind.

1. No more new religious trappings on government property/facilities/coinage/tender.
    2. No taxpayer money to take down religious items currently on government property/facilities/coinage/tender.
      3)Donations to support the removal and refurbishing of current government property/facilities/coinage/tender will be accepted and used accordingly.

An individuals beliefs should be held in his mind and felt in his heart. It need not plastered up for the world to see(e.g., the boulder with the 10 Commandments in tablet form, the big cross somewhere in California_, and the big Jesus in Sao Paulo[I think, though outside the US, it is a good example if on government property.) If it is to be shown, let it be as exemplified by Mother Teresa or Francis of Assisi.

I value actions more than words. That’s why I volunteer at a pregnancy crisis center and on a suicide hotline. I have attended all my teenaged daughters’ activities, except when I was out of town due to my father’s illness._

• He’s a judge. If his superiors give him an order, he does so. He wants to keep the statue, fine, file the appropriate papers and go to court. This judge deserves to be fired.

• Yanny, there are judges on the bench today who have killed people in hit and run as well as DWI accidents.

This judge will push the limits as far as he can, but I believe he will obey the courts and laws in the end. If he breaks the law he will pay(unlike so many others.)

• Anyways, upon reviewing the case. The judge should step down.

• i think the whole situation is ridiculous.
    i don’t know the judge at all, but it seems to me that through many years of hard work, he’s obtained a position of some standing. This lifetime of work should be destroyed because of his desire to express himself “religiously”? What if he wanted to express himself over another issue - would it then be necesary to discard him then as well?
    For those who are so taken up with the idea of separation of church and state - the concept exists so it is necessary to apply it across the board?
    As for the corcavado in Sao Paulo - what good would removing this spectacular statue do Brazil? Would it erase the religious underpinnings of the country? Would the history be unmade? Would the country be a more beautiful, productive, or civilized one?
    Like it or not, Canada and America was founded, built, and has grown by the efforts of the religiously Christian (and Jewish), and often driven by their religious convictions. Will you erase this by silencing all vestages of Christianity across the country? Maybe. Would it make the country greater, stronger or more productive? Well, if my people (the Mennonites) are indicators, then i’d say certainly not.

• Brazil is not America, though I do take your meaning.

• Judge Moore is not breaking any law on the books. He’s breaking what the judges are calling the “rule of law” or the judges’ ruling.

No law has, as of yet, been shown to apply.

• @El:

Judge Moore is not breaking any law on the books. He’s breaking what the judges are calling the “rule of law” or the judges’ ruling.

No law has, as of yet, been shown to apply.

we’re having this “problem” in Canada right now. Judges are creating laws as they go along, or applying it in their discretion as they see fit. Although judges typically KNOW quite well the law, and they have see its application in many circumstances, still here they are not elected but rather appointed. This begs the question - why can they get away with this when there are legislators elected to deal with this? Where are the checks and balances?
    The idea of a federal judge creating a law in Alabama i see as being problematic. I could see some Alabamite having a problem with this as well . . . just imaginea hundred angry Alabamites - in the words of Dezertfish - fighting tyrannical oppressors with all of the 18 odd thousand guns that they’ve been accumulating . . . waaaa hoooo!!!

• American Civil War II, hmmm!

'scuse me guys!
    I gotta go buy
    some aqmmo.

Woo-hoo!!

• I’d join the Confederate Nation. 8)

• If CW II did happen, the South would probably win because the great majority of the armed forces (at least that I’ve met) hail from the south, mostly from Texas. I think I’ll just wait it out. With any luck, everyone will ignore Wisconsin…hehehe. Hmmm…what if it was every state for itself?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m