• Russia can use both fighters and attack the Baltic and kill the crusier and transport in the first round.

• you can, but why would risk losing a Russian FTR, only to have the Germans not do Sea Lion and smite Russia to hell?  Let the UK/US do the dirty work for the Russians…Russia can’t afford to risk losing a FTR just for the “possibility” of Germany going SeaLion…you have bigger fish to fry (ie. West Russia and for those of you on board for hitting Ukraine).  If Germany goes SeaLion, those FTRs will come in handy in collapsing the German lines as you make a push through Europe…The way to save England is to attack hard as the Russians if the SeaLion route is chosen G1.

• @Mallery29:

Don’t forget the AA gun  :wink:
    I think you would have to take into account what the Russians would buy/do before you commit…a 4inf/2arm buy could do lots of damage to Germany…you could do it, but any failure would be auto game over for the axis.

Yup. This is starting to sound to me like a possible move if a lot of factors are met (one of which is ignorance of that this move can be made) but not really a valid strategy against a player who has faced it before.

• Or read this thread!Nice plan.  Remind me not to play you Hobbes.

• @wittman:

Or read this thread!Nice plan.  Remind me not to play you Hobbes.

LOL :D

• I agree with you that the Russia attack on the Baltic fleet is crazy, I am playing a friend this weekend and that is his plan. My hope is that he will lose both planes.

• well, as long as you don’t make any mistakes like that, you should win!

• He will need those planes to attack and defend Russia. His plan is to go heavy in the pacific with usa. If he does this, I am thinking that I should buy more tanks with Germany and drive hard towards Moscow. Do have any advice with a hard push from the USa in the Pacific? What is the best plan for Japan?

• Tanks are nice, but at 6 a pop, I would focus a G1 buy on a recommendation of 3inf/2art/tank/Bomber/SS…this helps eliminate the remaining Atl fleet in case they don’t go Pacific, and give you a push…you will need inf/art to take Russia…you should have enough off of planes and tanks w/additional bomber on G1 to push in Russia’s pudd…Since they are going KJF, be aggressive in Europe and be defensive in the Pac…focus on your first two turns taking the Russia backdoor (Buryatia), China territories (hit the territory w/the FTR on J2, but that FTR will be gone anyways on J2, so it will be easier), and possibly hit Burma, but I would just use FIC or Yunan as my stalemate point to prevent India from being aggressive.  You could go 3Trans/3Inf, CV/2Trans, 3Trans/DD, 2Trans/2DD, CV/2DD…it really is opend depending on the UK move…there are just different combos…use your transports to hit if possible Buryatia and the Chinese territory connected by sea (pull the Phillipines inf/art off for the attack).
    Oh, back to the German buys…a tank a turn may not hurt but if you go excessive, Russia could use your lack of troops to its advantage…I would not go past 2 tanks a turn.

• Thanks for your advice. I have played A&A for a long time and this game is much different.

• Not to dime Hobbes out, but I would see what he says on his Japan counter to a KJF, and see what you like/what works, because I’m still not sure myself what is best to buy for Japan out there, I just have my J1 down solid now…

• Thanks.

Hobbes, any good advice on a KJF. What should Jpaan buy on the first round? Later rounds?

• @Petebu:

Thanks.

Hobbes, any good advice on a KJF. What should Jpaan buy on the first round? Later rounds?

Haven’t played Axis yet. Japan’s got a better position on the Pacific but after a while it can’t fight both the IC and the US fleet at the same time from my experience as Allies.
    If the UK attacks SZ37 and that UK carrier is still standing then you need to smoke it (along with the UK transports) or you’ll risk losing East Indies or Borneo on UK2.
    My idea would be to for an IC and or just transports and then just focus to building ground units and pushing them towards India, including those involved on the J1 attacks. The propose of your fleet switches from stopping the US to protecting the J transports as much as possible and delaying US landings on Borneo/East Indies as much as possible, for that you can always add some bombers that can also be used on Asia.

• Can’t lose the Philippines either, so have to block the US if they come that way.(Why wouldn’t you?) If on J1 you attack Burma and the 3 Chinese territories you can reach and build an IC in Manchuria, you can place your fleet on the Philippines on J2 and that should blunt US’s aggression. I think that should buy the Axis the time to win a 3 VC victory.

• @wittman:

Can’t lose the Philippines either, so have to block the US if they come that way.(Why wouldn’t you?) If on J1 you attack Burma and the 3 Chinese territories you can reach and build an IC in Manchuria, you can place your fleet on the Philippines on J2 and that should blunt US’s aggression. I think that should buy the Axis the time to win a 3 VC victory.

Yeah, agree with the basic outline although you’ll need to get more units closer to India and Manchuria is a lot far (5 spaces) to reach India. That’s why you’ll need the fleet to protect the transports.

• @Hobbes:

An interesting theoretical possibility:

G1

• Buy 1 carrier (place in Baltic), 9 infantry
    • Attack SZ10 and SZ7. Attack SZ14 and land 1 inf on Gibraltar.

(UK buys ground units for India and 2 fighters, attacks SZ37, US goes KJF)

G2

• Buy 5 transports, 1 destroyer or 6 transports (if UK did not buy air for London)

UK buys 6 infantry, 2 arm, for a total of 8 inf, 1 aaGun, 1 art, 3 arm, 2 ftrs and 2 bombers (1 UK, 1 US)

G3

• Attacks with 7 transports (7 inf, 7 arm, 5 ftrs, 1 bmr) - wins 59% - if there’s an 8th transport… or the 6 German fighter…

To work the question is really about the UK1 move - if the UK (and the US) focus completely on KJF and leave the German Med fleet alive and in position on SZ14 until G3… and the German fighter on Ukraine survives… interesting…

curious about the 59%…shouldn’t it be higher?

• @Mallery29:

curious about the 59%…shouldn’t it be higher?

That number needs to be recalculated every time you try this. This move is basically a gamble and for some, 60% odds are just great.

• Well I’m just wondering where my error is, because I have it about 70% (which is great for the axis), so I figure I’m not carrying the one somewhere…

• @Hobbes:

(UK1 buys ground units for India and 2 fighters, attacks SZ37, US goes KJF)

UK2 buys 6 infantry, 2 arm, for a total of 8 inf, 1 aaGun, 1 art, 3 arm, 2 ftrs and 2 bombers (1 UK, 1 US)

Wait, if UK bought 2 fighters on UK1, wouldn’t they have 4 total fighters in London after UK2?  You only list 2…

Edit - I see you just edited your original post to list 4 fighters after UK2 now.  Maybe that is the reason for 59% vs. 70%?  You (Hobbes) calculated based on 4 UK fighters while Mallery29 did his numbers based on 2 UK fighters?

• @Mallery29:

Well I’m just wondering where my error is, because I have it about 70% (which is great for the axis), so I figure I’m not carrying the one somewhere…

The key factors are:

• Number of German transports and planes that can reach the UK at G3
    • UK1 and UK2 purchases

A lot can happen to change those…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m