• While I agree the minis in 1942 2e are fantastic, I find many of the pieces very hard to distinguish from one another, especially the non-carrier ships. Unlike most, I prefer all of the models to be the same sculpt, with different colors for identifying each nations units.

Does anyone know if someone sells 5 different colors of the same unit sculpts that would work with 1942 2e (all 12 unit types)?  I looked at all of the products from Field Marshal Games and everything on eBay but couldn’t find what I’m looking for. Any ideas?

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

Shameless plug  :-P

historical board gaming dot com

• @P-Unit:

While I agree the minis in 1942 2e are fantastic, I find many of the pieces very hard to distinguish from one another, especially the non-carrier ships. Unlike most, I prefer all of the models to be the same sculpt, with different colors for identifying each nations units.

Does anyone know if someone sells 5 different colors of the same unit sculpts that would work with 1942 2e (all 12 unit types)?  I looked at all of the products from Field Marshal Games and everything on eBay but couldn’t find what I’m looking for. Any ideas?

Surely your jest!  Telling apart destroyers from battleships from transports from subs is pretty easy.  (OK, sometimes that cruiser in-between the battleship and the destroyer muddies things up a LITTLE but once you get to know your pieces, its not really that hard…)

But in any case, to find a piece-set where all the pieces within a type are identical and the countries’ units are distinguished only by color, you have two options as far as I can recall:

1. Go back to classic-style pieces (which, as variable pointed out, are mostly all, if not all, available on HBG’s site for sale by the piece.)  Of course this means using a more limited list of pieces.  From there you could try using Xeno, Table Tactics, and/or Enemy on the Horizon for supplemental piece types, like artillery, mechs, and smaller surface ships.  (These latter three are all oop & harder to find though; patience over time on ebay may be your only option.)

2. Use the piece set from The War Game.  Pieces from TWG (as it is known) are really quite good (they were molded and sculpted by Pegasus Hobbies I think), arguably even better than the best pieces from the AH versions of AA… but they are ALL GERMAN SCULPTS in different colors. I think that this may have hurt TWG, along with the fact that most of the TWG pieces were a little large to be compatible with AA pieces (e.g., their Tiger tank is roughly twice the size of AH’s Panther tank… and I’m talking about the fat version…which also makes them about twice the size of the new AA41 Tigers.)  I know I had a hard time with my Brits and Americans goose-stepping in Stahlhelms, and ended up mixing pieces at least in infantry, just as I’ll have a hard time with Germans in Brodie helmets in FMG’s upcoming WW1 game, but maybe that’s just me.  The quality of the pieces was very good, though.  And last I knew, the TWG pieces set was even being sold separately from the rest of the game for a smaller price (though I warn you it still will cost you more than most AH games just for the TWG piece set.)

• Update on the above: I just went back again to the TWG website and it seems they’re no longer selling pieces separately.  So looks like you’d have to spring for the full $150 for the whole game to get the pieces.  (Expensive, I know, but it isn’t a bad deal if you can afford it.  The board is like 4’x8’ in three sections and it comes with over 500 pieces, including ALMOST anything you’d ever want in a German piece-set in every country’s color, and nice sculpts, too.)

Anyway, if that suits your fancy, I wouldn’t wait too long, as it seems as though they’re running out and not planning to reprint.

• @DrLarsen:

I know I had a hard time with my Brits and Americans goose-stepping in Stahlhelms, and ended up mixing pieces at least in infantry, just as I’ll have a hard time with Germans in Brodie helmets in FMG’s upcoming WW1 game, but maybe that’s just me.Â

No it’s not just you – I concur with your analysis of TWG (of which I own two copies).  The best use I eventually found for the goose-stepping German standard infantry pieces was to use them to represent the minor Axis countries, plus the Axis co-belligerents (Finland and Thailand), plus the Axis-collaborating Vichy France.

• @Variable:

Site looks great, but I wasn’t able to find what I’m looking for.  Is there a set or individual pieces that cover all 12 of the units in A&A 19422e, in 5 different colors? If so, can you link them to me or send me a msg with the link, or should I contact you on that site?

• Infantry

• Arty

• Tank

• AAA

• Fighter

• Bomber

• Carrier

• Battleship

• Cruiser

• Destroyer

• Sub

• Transport

• @P-Unit:

@Variable:

Site looks great, but I wasn’t able to find what I’m looking for.  Is there a set or individual pieces that cover all 12 of the units in A&A 19422e, in 5 different colors? If so, can you link them to me or send me a msg with the link, or should I contact you on that site?

• Infantry

• Arty

• Tank

• AAA

• Fighter

• Bomber

• Carrier

• Battleship

• Cruiser

• Destroyer

• Sub

• Transport

There is no such thing because no AA version before AA422e has the exact same line-up of pieces and because no piece set since classic has used the same sculpts across all the countries.  TWG is probably the closest you’ll find in one package.

• Customizer

Or you could cruise eBay for a copy of the Classic A&A. The only problems would be the colors are different from the current pieces and you wouldn’t get artillery, destroyers or cruisers.

On a side note, with so many gamers on this forum that clamor for nation-specific sculpts, it boggles my mind that someone actually wants the same sculpt for every nation.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m