• @Mallery29:

If you don’t attack Ukraine, then I can put a FTR or two down there and still be in position to take UK on G2.  If its one FTR, it is only 51%, and down to 17% for you.  You leave Germany so many options by not attacking Ukraine.  Even if I don’t, on G2 you surely will lose that FTR and Bomber in Egypt…but “be my guest, be my guest, put your suicide move to the test”.

Save your pathetic fleet for what, a turn or two? Once you are pinched by the Indies/Caroline fleet, India will be squished like a bug.

It is not I who had strategies 2-3 days ago which were attacking German Battleship outside Syria and BS like that, and then preparing to lose even more fighters from London on UK2 against another German fleet.

My strategy keeps ALL 4 UK FTR and 1 Bomber ALIVE. No you can’t take Egypt from UK just because you fly FTR down to Libya. I can reinforce Egypt with the same troops and wait for you to attack, be my guest, UK can basically have there 4 INF, 1 ART, 1 Armor + 2 FTR waiting for your what, 4 to 6 German units and 1 FTR, lol, be my guest, we’ll see who would win that, while you have to think of Russia and UK building it’s fleet outside London. Point is, no Ukraine FTR is going to make you take Egypt , EVER, If I as UK player want to hold Egypt, I will hold it, with NO problem on when you start your G2 turn.

First you have to “pinch” the UK fleet, in order to do that, you need to be 2 spaces from them, not gonna happen, as you can see.

• Read and learn….I never said your fleet was the target…once its in a corner, India will fall (what resistance is your pathetic little fleet going to muster)

• @Mallery29:

Read and learn….I never said your fleet was the target…once its in a corner, India will fall (what resistance is your pathetic little fleet going to muster)

LOL, now you must explain how you plan to “corner” my fleet? I already win just there by making you chase me around for nothing, having your Japanese boats trying to “corner me” in.
    As long as my fleet is around there, it is clearly pain in the a-hole for Japan of course. You never now when I can build more boats with that existing fleet. Taking India is not that easy, do try. As you can see, just forget Egypt, not happening.

Another option I have, is just to let UK Fleet stay on India, except Transport, and I can build 2 Naval units with that fleet. That makes it very hard for Japan to attack it. As you can see, UK has a fleet it can expand on heavily if needed, yes it will be less cash for the UK, however, there is no problem clearly in holdning both Egypt/Africa AND India.

• Ahh…I see you work one turn at a time…

• TripleA

IMO got to kill that german fighter on R1.

Germany has like 4 naval batles ahead of him, bship, whatever the 2 subs hit, 2 other naval from uk.

Saving egypt allows uk to bomber + fighter the battleship transport, unless it goes to gib, but making him go to gib is 2 less units being shipped to africa that turn.

This is the whole point. You save egypt, you can get india fleet into the med. Now germany is faced with two fleets to sink and he has one less fighter than he otherwise would normally have for round 2. Germany can’t do Africa, that is big, now allies don’t have to send stuff to a logistically far away place.

Soothsayin know what I am sayin?

The aggressive strategy has always been the standard for 1942.Ukraine is good, forces germany to use tanks. Germany tanks are more important than russian tanks, because germany can do a “surge” strategy preventing UK / USA from getting a foothold on europe. You have to make an exchange of units otherwise you’ll end up getting surged and look stupid.

• @Cow:

IMO got to kill that german fighter on R1.

Germany has like 4 naval batles ahead of him, bship, whatever the 2 subs hit, 2 other naval from uk.

Saving egypt allows uk to bomber + fighter the battleship transport, unless it goes to gib, but making him go to gib is 2 less units being shipped to africa that turn.

This is the whole point. You save egypt, you can get india fleet into the med. Now germany is faced with two fleets to sink and he has one less fighter than he otherwise would normally have.

Soothsayin know what I am sayin?

The aggressive strategy has always been the standard for 1942.Ukraine is good, forces germany to use tanks. Germany tanks are more important than russian tanks.

I can still send Indian fleet to Egypt and let Germany face 2 fleets, it’s not like I gave up Egypt ? Egypt is saved with my strategy anyway, just read how I can choose to defend it, there is nothing Germany can do to take Egypt on G1 except being a basically 55-45 fight in German favor, losing a lot of forces and risking a German bomber.

I don’t want to abandon India, on the contrary, I might even reinforce the UK Fleet there, to make the headache for Japan complete.

Do please tell what Germany can “stack” on Ukraine on G1 before I choose to slaughter that on R2 turn, with 3 men supported by 3 artilleries, 5 tanks, 2 FTR and a whole lot of INF as a shield. Russia can take Ukraine anyway on R2 turn, nothing Germany can do to prevend that, unless a lot of Germans want to die of course.

• TripleA

Also the funny thing is, instead of buyin this game, all I did was sharpee in the territory values on the bottom, sharpee a few lines to make the 1942 seazones, and sharpee a few lines to make the new territories. Printed the setup.

It wasn’t exactly different from the 1941 game. Only 4 territories needed to get sharpeed in, like 6 sea zones. and the values e z enough to sharpee in. Plus I can just ignore the sharpee marks to play a 1941 game.
    ~

Germany should go into egypt round 1. Why would he not? 5v4 ain’t that risky.

• TripleA

Ran the calc, 73% chance to win with 1.69 units left.

In other words 73% of the time you kill everything and walk out with a bomber. 36% of the time you kill everything and have 1 or more armor units left. He must use transport to take back egypt.
    ~

I’d do gibraltar if I was trying to merge the baltic fleet with that fleet. I’d do libya if I was buying naval for southern europe.

No naval purchase -> hitting egypt round 1. You may as well.
    ~
    The nice thing is if you take egypt, chances are he will use the transport to kill your armor instead of taking borneo. That frees up a japan transport for other things.
    ~
    check it out, G1 he probably wants to use 2 sub 2 fighter to sink the bship + 1 russian sub (this is a minimal attack). that leaves 1 fighter 1 bomber to kill cruiser (minimal attack). 1 fighter and 1 cruiser to go elsewhere.

unless germany buys naval for his battleship. uk goes OK got a destroyer in the med, got a bomber… attack battleship! 51% win 25% draw 24% lose.

Because transports don’t defend themselves, 1942 opens up lots of gambling possibilities, in fact you should gamble. Not gambling is like folding pocket queens when you put your opponent on ace king, this is a dice game, you are gambling by nature.

Most players come to play, so you may as well play, because if you don’t you will just cry about getting diced.
    ~
    you don’t have to reinforce egypt, but you do have to kill ukraine, it is a free fighter kill, why are you passing that up?

• @Cow:

Because transports don’t defend themselves, 1942 opens up lots of gambling possibilities, in fact you should gamble. Not gambling is like folding pocket queens when you put your opponent on ace king, this is a dice game, you are gambling by nature.

Most players come to play, so you may as well play, because if you don’t you will just cry about getting diced.

And this is the problem…… You should NOT gamble. Your goal should be to play well enough to force your opponent into gambling. When you do that, you are trying to put him/her in a position where their odds are poor but they have no other option to win.

Sure, when they lose they can say they got “diced”…but they really didnt. They got outplayed.

• TripleA

outplayed? Taking above 50% odds is playing well.

My whole point is, you can’t skip ukraine on Russia 1, that is just stupid. There is a fighter there, you have to kill it, there is no logical reason not to.
    ~
    As far as G1 opener goes, if egypt lives, uk has a 65% shot at sinking japan’s battleship carrier 2 fighter. (forgot what the draw % is).

Passing up on good attacks has cascading consequences. I would only do this if I was trying to merge that fleet with a sea lion purchase in the baltic sea or if I bought naval for southern europe.

In a standard game, yeah I’d sink that so America can have some kind of pacific strategy. Total victory game, I ignore the pacific entirely and rush for berlin.

The game is setup so there is lots of action on round 1.

• @Cow:

outplayed? Taking above 50% odds is playing well.
    My whole point is, you can’t skip ukraine on Russia 1, that is just stupid. There is a fighter there, you have to kill it, there is no logical reason not to.
    ~
    As far as G1 opener goes, if egypt lives, uk has a 65% shot at sinking japan’s battleship carrier 2 fighter. (forgot what the draw % is).
    Passing up on good attacks has cascading consequences. I would only do this if I was trying to merge that fleet with a sea lion purchase in the baltic sea or if I bought naval for southern europe.
    In a standard game, yeah I’d sink that so America can have some kind of pacific strategy. Total victory game, I ignore the pacific entirely and rush for berlin.
    The game is setup so there is lots of action on round 1.

I agree with COW here….gambling is part of the action…no risk, no reward.  The more risk, the bigger the reward.

• TripleA

When you pass up on attacks, there is no garauntee you will get a better attack next round (units can move away, get reinforced etc). So you can’t say “oh man taking 51% 65% and 73% battles is so risky.” It is even riskier not to especially when you factor in what those units could potentially do later on.

Attacking ukraine is a good move, there is a fighter, it is dead, he counters with mostly ground, you counter that. you will constantly be trading forces for ukraine, as russia gets severely screwed when it loses caucasus.

• @Mallery29:

I agree with COW here….gambling is part of the action…no risk, no reward.  The more risk, the bigger the reward.

This is why people lose…and blame the dice.

Playing A&A is minimizing the dice against you. And making the opponent take risks. Risks that you force them to take, risks that, when taken time and time again, will inevitably backfire.

If you continually force your opponent into 40-45% battles……sooner or later they will lose. And when they lose its the end, or at least the beginning of the end.

Outside of the first round, if you find youself engaging in many 50/50 battles, it is probably because you are losing. and need the dice to catch you up. Those who are winning have no need to engage in “risky” battles. They are already ahead and looking to maximize the mistakes their opponent is making.

• @squirecam:

@Mallery29:

I agree with COW here….gambling is part of the action…no risk, no reward.�  The more risk, the bigger the reward.

If I’m playing as the Germans, I just blame the jews.

• @Mallery29:

@squirecam:

@Mallery29:

I agree with COW here….gambling is part of the action…no risk, no reward.��  The more risk, the bigger the reward.

If I’m playing as the Germans, I just blame the jews.

LOL! Now THAT’S roleplaying right there.

• My wife always makes risky attacks(in my opinion). It certainly makes for shorter games.

• @wittman:

My wife always makes risky attacks(in my opinion). It certainly makes for shorter games.

Maybe she’s just used to quicker shorter things LOL (sorry couldn’t resist)

Its cool that she plays

• @WILD:

@wittman:

My wife always makes risky attacks(in my opinion). It certainly makes for shorter games.

Maybe she’s just used to quicker shorter things LOL (sorry couldn’t resist)

Its cool that she plays

Walked into that one!
    We used to play much more, but since we had our insomniac daughter, late nights and evenings together are practically non existent. My parents had Maddy lasr night so played 2 hours of Bulge and really did her good. Cannot see her asking for more any time soon.

• Yep kids can kill the night life, hope she grows out of it and starts sleeping soon. Look to the future though, just think when she starts dating you can start recruiting new players LOL.

• Dating? I don’t think so.  I Will need a bigger house to bury all the bodies.@WILD:

Yep kids can kill the night life, hope she grows out of it and starts sleeping soon. Look to the future though, just think when she starts dating you can start recruiting new players LOL.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m