Turning a Shinano into a Zuiho

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

Needed a Zuiho class light carrier for my Midway game to use at an upcoming game convention. Since the Japan sets won’t be out from HBG just yet, I had to get creative with my hobby knife. I still need to do a bit of fine grit sanding tomorrow, but I think it came out well enough to distinguish it from the Shinanos and Akagis out there…
    zuiho1.JPG
    zuiho2.JPG

Couple more comparo photos:

zuiho3.JPG
    zuiho4.JPG

• Helpful idea, Variable.  I’d be doing the same thing if I didn’t alread have plenty of classic edition carriers to use as CVE’s (and admittedly, yours look more historically accurate…)

I used one of the Shinanos so I could get a perfect color match without painting. As long as you’re careful not to stress the plastic, it can be shaved off with a hobby knife without turning white.

• @Variable:

I used one of the Shinanos so I could get a perfect color match without painting. As long as you’re careful not to stress the plastic, it can be shaved off with a hobby knife without turning white.

Yeah, since I’m using classic-EotH pieces for slow task forces, color matching is a low priority for me at the moment.  The one thing that Zuiho adds to the actual tactical options that a generic classic-carrier-turned-CVE doesn’t is a fast version, i.e., a CVL as opposed to a CVE.  If I could figure out how to turn a Wasp into an Independence class, I just might try turning a Shinano into a Zuiho as well (at which point I’d probably start thinking about the possibility of turning an Illustrious into a Colossus.)  I don’t know if that’s remotely possible.  I’ll have to take a close look at it tomorow…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m