What it was that made James Holmes go nuts.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Yea holy… we better be careful…

Here we are bugging him a bit, and he’s threatening to kill us.

We all know how unpopular he is around here too… I wonder if we’re all on a list?  Fk…  I’m buying another shotgun for my house just in case.

Djensen should be informed.  And perhaps the local police?  IL has clearly made the case that Comics lead to violent recourse, and he’s the only one with a Comic book character as his chosen alias…

What are we going to do?

• Here we are bugging him a bit, and he’s threatening to kill us.

I will kill with kettle corn. Not wasting ammo on chumps. Oh and nobody bugging me. Not once

@Imperious:

I live and breath anger , this does not come from reading comic books but from having to deal with moronic people like you on a daily basis.

But that was what the killer said, only he had anger against himself due to low self esteem. Does the irony hit home?

Look at the subliminal messaging!  The Irony really is starting to hit home!

Hides behind Lhoffman

@Imperious:

Vic Morrow, and his Soap’s for men.

what? He has been dead for like 30 years and what soaps?

How do you really know He’s been dead for 30 years?  Unless YOU killed Vic Morrow?  So you could wear his face as your internet avatar 30 years later?

Let me guess… he naturally choked on Kettle Corn?

Quick Hoffman! Do something!

• How do you really know He’s been dead for 30 years?

look it up? Also look up this “soap” thing you attach to him.

• Customizer

Kettle Corn! tastes the same coming out as it did going in!

Posting pictures of the choice weapons you want to kill us with isn’t cool IL…

• Kettle Corn! tastes the same coming out as it did going in!

That says alot, probably way too much.

• Customizer

@Gargantua:

Posting pictures of the choice weapons you want to kill us with isn’t cool IL…

Seriously. The an alarming amount of ammunition. I’ll bet whoever sold it to him was too apathetic to notify the FBI. Profit over public safety. боже мой!

• Customizer

Glad to see there’s a sense of humor in there though Imp. I was beginning to wonder. Back to the topic at hand. The nut job. Let’s say for the sake of argument that he read comic books with ideas in them that were too violent or anti societal and thats what pushed him over the edge. Do we ban comics? Were novels banned when that guy wacked Lennon with a copy of Catcher in the Rye in his pocket? What about that other work of fiction filled with super powered beings? The one with as many plot holes and continuity flubs as your average long running comic series. The one printed on paper worse than comics and that has outsold every other book in the world. The one that has been responsible for more deaths than a closet full of kettle corn could ever dream of. Should it be banned? Should it be relegated to children’s reading just because children read it too? I think not. And not because I believe in it but because some people like it just like I like comic books. You don’t like comics but saying that they should be just for kids is like saying Shakespeare should be just for teenage girls because it is made in the same medium as the Twilight books.

• No just have parents encourage them to stay away from low grade reading and promote classics.

• Customizer

Of course. That’s a given. Too often in this society of dual income families does the parent leave the child to te own devices. My point is lumping all comic books together as child oriented is closed minded. Don’t get me wrong, there is a ton of garbage on the comic book shelves. About 99% of the books coming out every week are utter trash but the same can be said for novels. Go to your local book store and I’ll bet you could carry in a back pack the number of worthwhile books in there out of the truck load that is on the shelves. It’s the same with TV and Video Games. I can’t even watch TV anymore. It’s all garbage pedaled to the lowest common denominator because that’s where the money is. Once in a great while do you get something that has intelligence on TV and it usually doesn’t last because the proles don’t want to think they want to be entertained without having to think. Not to sound pompous but the people here want more from their entertainment. That’s not to say that the low brow stuff can’t be entertaining, I’m guilty of that myself. I like Family guy but I don’t watch anything regularly. My main form of entertainment is podcasts. Half the stuff in my list is History, educational and news stuff. The other half is comedy and most of hat Kevin Smith. Which is the ultimate lowest denominator. But I find it funny and I don’t care who knows it. Like what you like Imp, but don’t dump on what I like just because you have an opinion that’s based on nothing but an outsiders notion. You said you like Ulysses by Joyce. I never read it, but I read Finnegans Wake and found it to be nonsense. Should I hen say Joyce writes Gibberish and gibberish only? No. Because I never read the book you spoke of I refrain from commenting in it. Please do the same with the stuff I read. If you read Maus by Speigleman and hate it then tell me about that but not about stuff you’ve never read. In fact. I’ll give you a challenge. Make a wish list on Amazon. Or Give me your amazon info and I’ll BUY you the first book. You read t and tell me it’s fo kids or it’s a piece of junk and that will be that. I’ll bet you though that you’ll buy the second part yourself.

• Evil was at work.

Had he wanted to end his life, he could have ended it quietly. Instead he takes the lives of others in some sick statement.

The only encouraging things to come out of this is knowing several people took bullets for people they loved.

• @Gargantua:

How 3 shells bust out of a shotgun stock is beyond me…

But great pic none the less!

And Ironic, that Bane is killed by a cannon on the batbike…

They are spring-loaded into a cylinder below the barrel.  Were the cylinder to break the spring loaded shells would pop right out…up to 10 of them depending on the shotgun.

• Customizer

@ABWorsham:

Evil was at work.

Had he wanted to end his life, he could have ended it quietly. Instead he takes the lives of others in some sick statement.

The only encouraging things to come out of this is knowing several people took bullets for people they loved.

Indeed. True heroes. Thank you for pointing this out.

@Crowninshield:

@Gargantua:

How 3 shells bust out of a shotgun stock is beyond me…

But great pic none the less!

And Ironic, that Bane is killed by a cannon on the batbike…

They are spring-loaded into a cylinder below the barrel.  Were the cylinder to break the spring loaded shells would pop right out…up to 10 of them depending on the shotgun.

Yes Crown you’re correct.  But… why the hell are the shells coming out of the STOCK!

I’ve never heard of a spring loaded stock… have you? :P

• @Imperious:

IL let me get this straight, I’m influenced by Comic Books because I read them?

Not exactly. If you read garbage your mind fixates on garbage and dumbs you down.

If your in an advanced placement History class, you learn what they teach.

If your in remedial History class, you learn what they teach.

It is so freaking basic, that three jugheads can’t get it straight and waste time with profanity laced commentary to shoot down another posters opinion because they got defensive and need a shoulder to cry on.

Don’t cry on my shoulder. Read something better.

Wow it’s 3 on IL

More like three zombies getting dispatched from 3 miles out with sniper rifle… not even worth the ammo.

Obviously you have not seen the type of comics I have read, big fan of R. Crumb too, not too mention some other comics, yet I don’t smoke weed, don’t drink (well once in a blue moon) and don’t do drugs, I played D&D and AD&D and Gurps amongst other games, and yet none of them have influenced me whatsoever, so that blows a big hole in your theory.

I repeat only the weak minded are effected and only the weak minded believe anyone can be affected.

• @Imperious:

I guess Stephen Hawking is a low brow lunatic…I mean, he’s been on the Simpsons multiple times, Futurama, ST:TNG, Red Dwarf, the British Comedy awards…

Can you make more extrapolations of unconnected thoughts that offer nothing?

Or perhaps actually understand the opinion offered and comment on that as opposed to inventing concepts that were never discussed?

Last I checked most of the shows equate to comic book level or in comics (like ST:TNG)…if Stephen Hawking can appreiciate this form of entertainment, then that goes against your crack pipe statement about comic books dumbing down society…it’s about self discipline/understanding… Intelligent people read comics, because sometimes when they have to deal with people like you, they WANT to escape from reality…funny that you couldn’t even make some half-hearted effort about my statement before about all the crazy people prior to comic books?  Your arguement and your head share a common thread…empty space.

• Obviously you have not seen the type of comics I have read, big fan of R. Crumb too, not too mention some other comics, yet I don’t smoke weed, don’t drink (well once in a blue moon) and don’t do drugs, I played D&D and AD&D and Gurps amongst other games, and yet none of them have influenced me whatsoever, so that blows a big hole in your theory.

No and No. Im talking about them in general. Every population you have some who don’t, but of those who do turn out to be crazy for the most part they don’t like classics and prefer things like comic books.

because sometimes when they have to deal with people like you, they WANT to escape from reality…

If that were true they DO have problems. A strong willed person would never get so defensive.

funny that you couldn’t even make some half-hearted effort about my statement before about all the crazy people prior to comic books?

Because in those times higher reading was only available to the rich and most were illiterate. Only proving how higher reading and education reduces out criminal behavior

To deny that being exposed to stories of violence and silly stories does not affect the individual as opposed to reading of classic or higher cultural influences shows a difference in what may become is really ignorant.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m