• @AxisBrutality:

I will have to disagree, this is only true in the case of Japan moving ALL ships to Japan, of course, leaving FIC totally “naked” to the UK invasion, which I don’t think is a good idea at all.

With an Alaskan IC? I’d say that it may be the move to make for Japan, to threaten it and force the US to defend it or abandon it. Let the UK fiddle around FIC, Japan can always swing back to retake it.

• @AxisBrutality:

Have to agree with Hobbes here…and if your German player intends on buying a BB, its even MORE reason to take Ukraine….I see where the BB can help, but that’s 20 IPCs that could go to destroying Russia…you’re going to end up with a stack of Russians (R2) that you’ll never be able to eliminate in time.

–----------------------------------------------------------
    Point is, I don’t need to get rid of Russians, the only thing Germany has to do is to take Karelia, keep it, secure it’s northern flank and threaten UK. OR have total control in Libya, Algeria, Egypt and Syria, which is essential, and I can still threaten Caucasus.

1 BB means Germany having 2 BB in Italy or 1 Cruiser and 1 BB in the Baltic Sea, so another Battleship sthrengtens already existing Naval Forces of Germany in either Italy or the Baltic Sea, which gives Germany either way a potent Naval force with 2 transports which means they can send 4 units whereever they want to with all the air power and battleships all along. That is a potent naval force.

Too bad Moscow can’t be reached by sea, eh? ;)

I can agree on taking out Belarus instead of Finland of course, so that is no problem. But even 2 Armor lost in Ukraine, means 50% or all Russian armor LOST. � That German fighter there can’t be used against Egypt or Syria anyway, because Germany can take out Syria easy with the strategy I suggested. It is extremely easy for Germany to take Ukraine back, risking losing 2 INF at most. 50% of Russian armor which is 2 out of 4 tanks is wiped out and the same goes for 1 Russian ART which is 33% or Russian artilleries since they start with total of 3, which degrades Russian offencive capability.

If you attack West Russia and Ukraine, you’ll kill 6 INF (plus 1 INF lost to kill the Soviet armor on Ukraine on G1), 2 ART, 2 ARM and 1 FTR at the average expense of 6 INF, 1 ART and 3 ARM. That’s 51 IPC of German hardware against 40 of Soviet hardware.

As the Soviets you usually will never have another opportunity to deal so much damage to Germany. Plus you’re securing both W Russia and Caucasus and prevent a Karelia stack.

• Fic doesn’t have to be completely defenseless…remeber, I only spent 14 on the CV…I still have 16 to terrorize Asia with.  And once the American fleet is gone, who the hell is going to stop Japan?  The Solomons provides the stepping stone to the Phillipines.  Not saying its the best US1 move in the Pacific, but it may be the only reasonable thing to do…besides, by adding US reinforcements in the Pac US1, you can always meet back up at Pearl or Wake and begin to pinch the Japanese…so instead of the IC, add a CV and prepare for island hopping!

• A German navy built for offense will never succeed (unless you are playing bad Allies)…I can see a sub or a DD for defensive/counterattacks, but BBs are the biggest waste of money in 42 (no matter what edition you are playing)…ok, an Alaskan complex might be up there too.

• Too bad Moscow can’t be reached by sea, eh? ;)

If you attack West Russia and Ukraine, you’ll kill 6 INF (plus 1 INF lost to kill the Soviet armor on Ukraine on G1), 2 ART, 2 ARM and 1 FTR at the average expense of 6 INF, 1 ART and 3 ARM. That’s 51 IPC of German hardware against 40 of Soviet hardware.

As the Soviets you usually will never have another opportunity to deal so much damage to Germany. Plus you’re securing both W Russia and Caucasus and prevent a Karelia stack.
    –-----------------------------------------------------

2 out of 3 Russian factories can be reached by the sea, if they are taken, Russia is pretty much done :) That is one of the reasons Stalin won, Hitler didn’t manage to take Leningrad and Stalingrad, Moscow would have collapsed if that happened, the same is the case in the game.

Yes, one good point is that Russia can take out 51 vs 40. However at what cost if you understand what I mean? Germany has 41 IPCs and a lot more units, which means, Germany can afford to lose a little more, Russia on the other hand has to sacrifise it’s offensive capability, leaving Russia with only 2 ART and 2 Armor after G1 turn.

You can’t prevent Karelia attack, there will basically be like 1-2 INF on Karelia left when it’s German turn, and it’s easy to take that out. 3 German INF on Finland + Baltic area with another 1 INF and 1 Armor and the rest wipes out Russian 2 tanks in Ukraine, with 1 or 2 INF losses. Germany doesn’t lose any IPC’s , they gain 1 IPC in Syria with most of UK ships annihilated, and Russia is dependable on UK since they are closest to Karelia.

• @Mallery29:

Fic doesn’t have to be completely defenseless…remeber, I only spent 14 on the CV…I still have 16 to terrorize Asia with. � And once the American fleet is gone, who the hell is going to stop Japan? � The Solomons provides the stepping stone to the Phillipines. � Not saying its the best US1 move in the Pacific, but it may be the only reasonable thing to do…besides, by adding US reinforcements in the Pac US1, you can always meet back up at Pearl or Wake and begin to pinch the Japanese…so instead of the IC, add a CV and prepare for island hopping!

And a factory is also “only” 15, giving you 2 units each round, how many units per round does carrier give you? None. And carriers need to be loaded with fighters or else they suck and are easy to kill. Attacking with carriers is even worse, no offense capability at all.

• Kind of hard for Hitler to get to Stalingrad when the straits were closed…and your buy is useless…'nuff said.

• @Mallery29:

A German navy built for offense will never succeed (unless you are playing bad Allies)…I can see a sub or a DD for defensive/counterattacks, but BBs are the biggest waste of money in 42 (no matter what edition you are playing)…ok, an Alaskan complex might be up there too.

Again, you are not arguing why it is a “bad” idea, you just say it’s a bad idea. A new battleship gives BOOST to a exsisting Cruiser in the Baltic Sea OR another Battleship in the Mediterranian Sea. That gives Germany 2 Battleships to attack shores with Egypt OR Syria OR Caucasus because a enemy unit can fire. The same thing if the Battleship is places in the Baltic Sea, both can fire all the time at Karelia and threaten UK all the time. A destroyer which you are suggesting, CAN’T do that and does not secure German fleet. We are talking about a difference of 8 IPC between your and mine suggestion, and I don’t think 1 Armor + 2 saved IPC for next round will do a “massive” difference on the eastern front at all, but on the Seas - a HUGE difference!

• Last I checked, CVs attack at a 1, defend at 2.  Add 2 FTRs, attack at 3, defend at 4, and you have mobile hand of God……How do you think the Pacific was won? With BBs?  CVs and SS my friend!

• @Mallery29:

A German navy built for offense will never succeed (unless you are playing bad Allies)…I can see a sub or a DD for defensive/counterattacks, but BBs are the biggest waste of money in 42 (no matter what edition you are playing)…ok, an Alaskan complex might be up there too.

Again, you are not arguing why it is a “bad” idea, you just say it’s a bad idea. A new battleship gives BOOST to a exsisting Cruiser in the Baltic Sea OR another Battleship in the Mediterranian Sea. That gives Germany 2 Battleships to attack shores with Egypt OR Syria OR Caucasus because a enemy unit can fire. The same thing if the Battleship is places in the Baltic Sea, both can fire all the time at Karelia and threaten UK all the time. A destroyer which you are suggesting, CAN’T do that and does not secure German fleet. We are talking about a difference of 8 IPC between your and mine suggestion, and I don’t think 1 Armor + 2 saved IPC for next round will do a “massive” difference on the eastern front at all, but on the Seas - a HUGE difference!

• You want my argurment why its bad?  Subs, subs, and more subs….UK1, 5 subs…US1 7 subs…(I’m a little overboard on it, but I have to argue the point)…last I checked, you have NO DD!  UK2 will throw all its subs and planes against your waste of money.  I hope you have a white flag with you.

• @Mallery29:

Last I checked, CVs attack at a 1, defend at 2. � Add 2 FTRs, attack at 3, defend at 4, and you have mobile hand of God……How do you think the Pacific was won? With BBs? � CVs and SS my friend!

Lol, so when you want to buy a DD , that’s great, but when I want to buy BB which is a lot better for existing German forces, then it’s “useless”, that’s really funny.

Attacking at 1, wow, I guess a battleship is SCARED of that, Lol.  Yes, a carrier can have 2 FTR, how much do they cost? Oh, 20 IPC, same cost of the BB which can take 2 hits and attacks and defends at 4 !

• The DD is to protect the BB against a suicidal Bomber/DD from UK…the subs in concert with the air force at France provides the fodder so you don’t have to sack planes against an invasion…that’s what you have to prevent…an invasion…going on the offense on the seas for Germany after G1 will only cause your surrender by turn 5.

• @AxisBrutality:

@Mallery29:

Last I checked, CVs attack at a 1, defend at 2. �� Add 2 FTRs, attack at 3, defend at 4, and you have mobile hand of God……How do you think the Pacific was won? With BBs? �� CVs and SS my friend!

Lol, so when you want to buy a DD , that’s great, but when I want to buy BB which is a lot better for existing German forces, then it’s “useless”, that’s really funny.
    Attacking at 1, wow, I guess a battleship is SCARED of that, Lol. � Yes, a carrier can have 2 FTR, how much do they cost? Oh, 20 IPC, same cost of the BB which can take 2 hits and attacks and defends at 4 !

You also assume that my G1 buy is a DD…I would go 5inf, 2art, 1tank, 1Bomber.  This especially if R1 takes out my Ukraine FTR…

• @Mallery29:

You want my argurment why its bad? � Subs, subs, and more subs….UK1, 5 subs…US1 7 subs…(I’m a little overboard on it, but I have to argue the point)…last I checked, you have NO DD! � UK2 will throw all its subs and planes against your waste of money. � I hope you have a white flag with you.

Lol, so you wanna buy just subs with UK and US money ? Say bye bye to Russia pretty fast, since my strategy with Japan focuses on sending as many Japanese as possible to the mainland.

Same with Germany, it will take UK a lot of time before they reach German naval fleet outside of Syria, with 2 battleships. A DD can be bought way before they reach that point.
    Germany having a fleet, gives it ability to project Artilleries and INF a LOT faster, total of 4 units.

• As I’ve stated in 1st edition, the key to the game is Russia…Africa is a nice “have” for the Axis but an extreme waste of resources.  And Africa will be Germany’s after G2 anyways with 3inf,2tanks,1art…you don’t need a second BB to take Africa and then have it sit in the med (I think it was COW who said it best, a stationary piece is a useless piece).

• Good luck kid!

• @Mallery29:

The DD is to protect the BB against a suicidal Bomber/DD from UK…the subs in concert with the air force at France provides the fodder so you don’t have to sack planes against an invasion…that’s what you have to prevent…an invasion…going on the offense on the seas for Germany after G1 will only cause your surrender by turn 5.

You need to read what I wrote, there is NO UK DD there when Germany is done on it’s 1st turn. German BB takes out UK DD outside Syria, and invades Syria with 1 INF and 1 ART, this should be easy to understand, yes ?

So there is NO UK DD there, and Syria is taken by 1 German INF and 1 ART.

Now, your UK Turn. In order for bomber to attack my German BB it takes 5 spaces to get there, which means you have to land on Egypt. You are dead there when G2 turn starts. So bomber is bye bye there. The only suicide you can do is using UK FTR, but then again, Japanese fleet survives at E.Indies

• The Germans have no DD! Oh my god, it’s like I’m talking to a brick wall….You win, you’re right…enjoy life…

• @Mallery29:

The Germans have no DD! Oh my god, it’s like I’m talking to a brick wall….You win, you’re right…enjoy life…

Did I say Germans had a DD = Destroyer? You said UK can attack German Battleship with UK Destroyer and a bomber, I am saying that there is NO UK Destroyer there after Germany is done with Syria on their first turn!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m