Scrambling and aircraft carriers during amphibious assault

• Game situation:

Soutern Italy is being attacked by US from Gibralter SZ. Italy has no fleet, but has 3 fighters in siuther italy ready to scramble from the AB.  US does amphibious assault.  They bring 2 cruisers and 7 transports.  They have in gibraltor SZ 3 aircraft carriers fully loaded.

Question: can US player move its carriers during Combat Movement to protect the fleet?

• Yes.  You’re permitted to move naval units during the combat move phase if there is a possibility of combat (in anticipation of a scramble).

• The carriers have no attack value but can participate in combat, so they can be used to take hits instead of the other ships even if it means crashing planes.  Also remember that shore bombardment is stopped if Italy scrambles a fighter to create a naval battle.

• I disagree.  Per the rules of combat movement you can only move pieces that will go into combat.  Since you have no way of knowing combat will take place the carriers cannot move.  Scrabling happens after ALL combat moves take place.

If scrambling changes this rule, please let me know where because I lost 2 cruisers and 7 transports from this attack!

• @manincellv:

I disagree.  Per the rules of combat movement you can only move pieces that will go into combat.  Since you have no way of knowing combat will take place the carriers cannot move.  Scrabling happens after ALL combat moves take place.

If scrambling changes this rule, please let me know where because I lost 2 cruisers and 7 transports from this attack!

Again, you are permitted to move naval or air units if there is a possibility of combat due to a scramble.  Scrambling DID change this rule, and it would have to, as otherwise there would be no reasonable way to ever perform an amphibious assault again (without crazy investment in BBs and CAs, as those are the only units that bombard and thus, per pre scramble rules, the only units that could tag along).

If your opponent tried to convince you otherwise, your opponent has done you wrong.

• I reread the scrambing rules and find no mention of this.  Unless there was an errata or some clarification from Larry, then moving the carriers is NOT permitted unless it moves them into a combat situation (ie ships present).  I guess BB and CR units will go up in stock now.

• It’s on the FAQ somewhere. BTW, kcdzim is an official ruler on these situations. He’s up there right below Larry and Krieg themselves for dealing with rules. His word is good.  :-D

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Actually, I saw a game where someone sent JUST a carrier along with his transport, to launch an amphibious assault into norway.

West Germany had a single fighter…

The plan was to see if the player noticed he could scramble or not…

If he scrambled, the carrier would retreat to the coast of Berlin taking probably a hit.

If he didn’t see it. He takes norway!

• Manincellv,

You’re wrong. The carriers can move during combat in anticipation of a possible combat due to scrambling. As previously mentioned the carriers have no combat value but can be taken as casualties.

• Alrighty then.  Case closed.  You can move carriers with any supporting ships when conducting an amphibious assault with the “anticipation” of scrambling.

• '20 '16 '15 '14

As someone who has had to read a LOT of pages of rules related to AAG40 (but WHAT a fun game!), the answer to your question is referenced here, in the AA 1940 Pacific Rules FAQ (page 4):

"Q. Let’s say I’m doing an amphibious assault and there are no enemy ships in the sea zone
    around the island I’m attacking, but the island has an airbase and enemy fighters. Can I move
    extra ships and planes into the sea zone along with my transports that won’t support the
    assault just in case my opponent decides to scramble the fighters to defend the sea zone?
    What about if there’s only an enemy sub in the sea zone? Can I move a destroyer in along with
    my transport just to keep the sub from getting a free shot at it, even though the destroyer will
    not participate in the assault?

A. Yes, in both cases. You may move units into a sea that presents a danger to your units during
    combat movement, even though they may not actually end up fighting. Just the chance that there will
    be combat is enough to allow it."

Attached is that FAQ for your review, and happy gaming!

AA 1940 Pacific Rules FAQ.pdf

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m