HBG - Axis & Allies Parts/Accessories and Custom Piece Sets Store!

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Yavid:

HBG put up an Axis Minor Set 2:

http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/HBG-Battle-Pieces–WW2-Axis-Minor-2-Germany_p_1667.html

Wow, this set is awesome. I’m surprised that it is called an axis minor set with the Bismarck being in it. I would think it would be called a German Expansion Set. Regardless what it is called. It is awesome! :-D

• Customizer

Yeah John Brown, I was a little surprised when I read the list of units. Most of the ground units and air units I think were shared by Germany with some of the minor Axis countries, with the possible exception of the Tiger I.
    The ships on the other hand, well, I just couldn’t imagine the Kriegsmarine letting go of a Bismarck or Graf Zeppelin. Then again, who knows? If the war had went differently and the German Navy was able to expand a lot, perhaps there could have been a time where as a reward for being part of the Axis, Hitler might have given the gift of a Bismarck to Hungary, or a Graf Zeppelin to Romania, or a Graf Spee to Finland. At the very least, maybe they would have gotten the specs to build their own.
    Of course, now that I think of it, not sure what good a navy would be to Hungary. Perhaps, had they won, Hitler would have granted Hungary a corridor through Yugoslavia to the ocean so they could build their very own naval base.
    At any rate, this set has me very excited. We talked about it a little last fall, but now it looks like more of a possibility.
    I do have one question: the list included a Tiger I (early war). I hate to show my ignorance here, but will these be different from the Tiger I’s already available to us from the Expansion set? If so, how are they different?

@knp7765:

Yeah John Brown, I was a little surprised when I read the list of units. Most of the ground units and air units I think were shared by Germany with some of the minor Axis countries, with the possible exception of the Tiger I.
    The ships on the other hand, well, I just couldn’t imagine the Kriegsmarine letting go of a Bismarck or Graf Zeppelin. Then again, who knows? If the war had went differently and the German Navy was able to expand a lot, perhaps there could have been a time where as a reward for being part of the Axis, Hitler might have given the gift of a Bismarck to Hungary, or a Graf Zeppelin to Romania, or a Graf Spee to Finland. At the very least, maybe they would have gotten the specs to build their own.
    Of course, now that I think of it, not sure what good a navy would be to Hungary. Perhaps, had they won, Hitler would have granted Hungary a corridor through Yugoslavia to the ocean so they could build their very own naval base.
    At any rate, this set has me very excited. We talked about it a little last fall, but now it looks like more of a possibility.
    I do have one question: the list included a Tiger I (early war). I hate to show my ignorance here, but will these be different from the Tiger I’s already available to us from the Expansion set? If so, how are they different?

Yeah, I was wondering about the difference in the tanks because they both say Tiger I, but like you said this one says early war. I would think there would be a difference. I would hope so at least.

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

@knp7765:

We are debating to put a Tiger 1 in it at all. Since these will be run with all the Axis Minor colors, we wanted to make sure that everyone had units they could use for their house rules. None of the Axis minor countries ever had a Tiger 1 but we feel we need a heavy tank. I do know we plan on putting a heavy tank in the Romania/Hungary Global Expansion Set so maybe we will take it out of this set and replace it with something else. Actually, I need to change the tiger 1 to a late model since “Kursk” will have the early model…and there are some difference, especially in the exhaust. Thoughts?

• @coachofmany:

@knp7765:

We are debating to put a Tiger 1 in it at all. Since these will be run with all the Axis Minor colors, we wanted to make sure that everyone had units they could use for their house rules. None of the Axis minor countries ever had a Tiger 1 but we feel we need a heavy tank. I do know we plan on putting a heavy tank in the Romania/Hungary Global Expansion Set so maybe we will take it out of this set and replace it with something else. Actually, I need to change the tiger 1 to a late model since “Kursk” will have the early model…and there are some difference, especially in the exhaust. Thoughts?

What about instead of German Tigers use the Carro Armato P 40?

• Customizer

Oooh! I would love to see the P-40. However, then you would have to increase the range of colors to include Italian Brown.

• @knp7765:

Oooh! I would love to see the P-40. However, then you would have to increase the range of colors to include Italian Brown.

I went looking for a Heavy Romanian tank, then Hungarian, then Finnish coming up short on those searches (might have helped if I spent more than 2 mins looking) I found the Italian tank. I personally think that if it’s an Axis Minor set it should have Axis Minor equipment. Not just another German set in more colors.

• Customizer

@Yavid:

@knp7765:

I went looking for a Heavy Romanian tank, then Hungarian, then Finnish coming up short on those searches (might have helped if I spent more than 2 mins looking) I found the Italian tank. I personally think that if it’s an Axis Minor set it should have Axis Minor equipment. Not just another German set in more colors.

Okay Yavid, don’t screw this up for me. I WANT those new German units. I don’t care what they call the set.

Besides, you will probably get Hungarian, Romanian and Finnish stuff in the Axis Minors expansion set they are planning. Pretty sure that one was in the top 5.

@knp7765:

@Yavid:

@knp7765:

Okay Yavid, don’t screw this up for me. I WANT those new German units. I don’t care what they call the set.

Besides, you will probably get Hungarian, Romanian and Finnish stuff in the Axis Minors expansion set they are planning. Pretty sure that one was in the top 5.

LOL! :-D

• @knp7765:

@Yavid:

@knp7765:

shutting up… I know I said otherwise before but with the UK having 7 tanks (classic, Sherman, IS-2, Matilda, Valentine, Churchill, and Stuart) sculpts to work with why not let Germany have the Panzer IV also.

BTW holy crap 7 tanks that’s enough to do Light, Medium and Heavy. And Light Medium and Heavy Inf. Support tank. Plus a flame tank also.

The Axis Minor nations did use Panzer IV’s as well as other German Equipment. It is the easiest to make it a German/Axis Minor Set to cover more options for German controlled Minor Nations. We do plan on making the P.40 for Italy.

Option for Heavy Tank for Hungary (44.M) will be in the Hungary/Romania Axis Minor Global Expansion set, I believe it is No. 4 as of now.
    http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/tanks/tanks-a/25603/view/

None of the Axis Minors had them but I believe we need one don’t you think? Since they did not have them we could put a P.40 in the slot and we do plan on doing Italian brown. I must of left it off.

• Customizer

Ah, I thought it was odd no Italian Brown color for Axis Minors. Thanks for clearing that up Coach.

Also, thanks for that look at the 44.M. Pretty cool looking tank. The turret looks like a Panther turret. The chassis kind of looks like a mash-up of a Panzer III and 38(t) but bigger.

Nice to hear you still plan on doing a set for Italy sometime. Curious to see what all units you decide on.

Is the Italy set still planned at the end of this year?

• I just placed my big order from HBG hope to see the stuff soon.

@John:

We stayed away from Italy because FMG released their set but we will do an Italian set, not sure on release.
    We have many projects in line.

• @coachofmany:

@John:

We stayed away from Italy because FMG released their set but we will do an Italian set, not sure on release.

Just throwing it out there but I would like to see France, 2nd Russian, or 2nd UK set after Axis Minor 2

@Yavid:

@coachofmany:

@John:

Just throwing it out there but I would like to see France, 2nd Russian, or 2nd UK set after Axis Minor 2

I’m all for that and some Anzac!

What did you just order from HBG? :-)

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

Looking like the the Russians will be restocked (again  :x ) before the month’s end, and the Japanese Expansion Set should be on the way before month’s end, shipping to all of you (and me  :-D ) beginning of April.

@Variable:

Looking like the the Russians will be restocked (again  :x ) before the month’s end, and the Japanese Expansion Set should be on the way before month’s end, shipping to all of you (and me  :-D ) beginning of April.

That is good news. Thanks Variable! :-D

• @John:

@Yavid:

@coachofmany:

@John:

I’m all for that and some Anzac!

What did you just order from HBG? :-)

Russian set x2, Neutrals x1, Allied Minor (ANZAC, UK, and French) x2 each, US Marines x1, Germany x2, Japan x2, V-1 tokens, Neutral Inf. in 3 different colors, Communist China Roundel, extra trucks for USA, Japan, Russia, ANZAC and UK, Some Me-262s I’m going to paint brown to be Su-9s, and a lot of White transports so I can set them up in Convey Zones to make them easier to see.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m