Best Version of Axis and Allies -OVERALL- Out of the box

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

If an alien ship of 1000 invaders landed on the earth, and asked to play the BEST version of Axis and Allies - out of the box + FAQ sheet.

Which one would you choose to play?  Assuming, that if they are not impressed enough… they will destroy the earth.

Consider carefully which version you feel is the best, after closely examining the criteria below:

-Playability (easy or hard)
    -Replayability
    -rule clarity
    -length of game (lets be honest, 4 to 10 hours is probably most ideal)
    -Accurate (In terms of cities, maps, etc.
    -Piece quality (we all hate NO money, and NO chips)
    -Interest
    -Price
    -Longevity/Future (Which one of this is going to stand the test of time.)
    -Box Art and Box Size
    -Scope of learning

I’ve chosen anniversary as the best option. As much as Global is the bomb! I think Anniversary was the best mix of everything,  not too complicated, not too simple, not too big, not too small.  6 player playable, and 2 setups for maximum replayability!  It was the Pioneer of the new naval combat system, and had the best technology program.  And without a reprint coming, it’s value is considerable, and it’s treasured amongst the players.  It got my vote…

Also - do note if you are the proud owner of every said game!  I am… and I bet most of you are too!

• me, I chose the original since its the one i’m familiar with and played.

• @Gargantua:

If an alien ship of 1000 invaders landed on the earth, and asked to play the BEST version of Axis and Allies - out of the box + FAQ sheet. Which one would you choose to play?  Assuming, that if they are not impressed enough… they will destroy the earth.

My preference would be to design an A&A-style game version of the movie Independence Day, call it “Americans and Aliens”, and challenge the invaders to a winner-take-all tournament.  Since the rules would reflect the movie, we’d be guaranteed to win.

• I’d like to see Master of Orion turned into an Axis and Allies type boardgame.

• @Scarapis:

I’d like to see Master of Orion turned into an Axis and Allies type boardgame.

You could have a look at Twilight Imperium 3rd edition (and its two expansions), by Fantasy Flight Games.

• @CWO:

@Scarapis:

I’d like to see Master of Orion turned into an Axis and Allies type boardgame.

You could have a look at Twilight Imperium 3rd edition (and its two expansions), by Fantasy Flight Games.

did see it, but thought the game a bit pricey for me.

• Europe (1999)

Either you Love it or you Hate it…for the Aliens it would be highly addicting since they don´t know how to play the Allies right! :-D :-D :-D :-D

I would vote for Europe 1999 as “Best game to play as Germany”.

:D

And I will agree… OOB, it was one of the most -fun- games I got to play.

The $12 to spend anywhere at game start, and middle east rules… are sorely missed.

• those 12$ bucks are making it so Individual…

Wow Anniversary seems to be the one…

• Customizer

Anniversary for me. Only played the original Europe and Pacific once each as my buddy has them and after we played them the two 1940’s came out. I liked the 12 IPC thing. In Pacific I liked the round one defenders suck rule. Just got Guadalcanal and D-Day but only played Guadalcanal once and not D-Day. Global is great but too long. Havent played the 40 games separate since Europe 40 came out and dont think i will. Bulge is OK but I need to play it more to say whether I like it or not.

Anniversary is great for all the reasons Garg said.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m