HBG's Global War 1939 FAQ

• Customizer

Raider,

––Don’t be alarmed,…the guys from HBG have been ‘snowed’ with the startup of their 1st boxed game, ‘Amerika’ on Kick-Start. I believe they’re taking a day or two off with their families for the holidays right now.
    ––My GW39 map, units, and a bunch of other “stuff” should be at my house when I get home today. I’ve been keeping up with all of the rules & stuff for quite some time and felt it was now sufficiently developed to “jump in with both feet”, especially as the map has been revised.
    ----IMHO, Global Warfare-1939 is proving to be the BEST A&A game yet! And next year’s 1934/36/39 version should be the ULTIMATE in A&A wargaming.

Happy Holidays,
    “Tall Paul”

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '10

@Tall:

––IMHO, Global Warfare-1939 is proving to be the BEST A&A game yet! And next year’s 1934/36/39 version should be the ULTIMATE in A&A wargaming.

Happy Holidays,
    “Tall Paul”

It does sound very interesting!

• Any chance that I could get some official answers to my earlier questions? – We would like to resume our game this weekend.  Thanks.

• '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '13 '10

While not official thought I’d offer my opinion. With maybe helping out with a new thought process for your group…or confirm what your group was already thinking along.

@Raider:

Have these questions been OFFICIALLY addressed:

1. When EXACTLY does a player activate a pro axis/allied neutral to his side? During CM, NCM, or both?

Are air units allowed to land in neutrals that are pro your side? (sorry if you already went through this).

This game originally was just a modified Global 1940 from my understanding and in that version you walked into the Pro-(your side) neutral during the NCM. In the rule book 6.1 Global 39’ it also mentions on page 12 that’s when you can walk through friendly neutrals. Or at least with the 40’ Global game that is how I read it. Maybe “assuming” to much, but with the knowledge this is a tweaked Global 1940 I would fathom that’s why it was missed being addressed.

@Raider:

2a) Can you fly in air units to defend a pro to your side neutral before you activate it

I would say no since you can’t go into it except during NCM. That’s only my opinion and still pretty new to Global 39’, but it comes back to not able to in Global 1940.

@Raider:

2b) Can you fly in air units to reinforce a territory the same turn you activated it?

Page 12 under section 6 says “Land units may move into friendly territories including the ones captured this turn, as long as they do not move through hostile territories.” With that knowledge I would say yes.

@Raider:

2c) If you NCM an inf w/bomber transport to activate a pro neutral, can the bomber land there too (same question as above really)?

My first instinct was to say no since not your territory at the start but….

Page 12 section 6 says, “Friendly territories include pro-neutrals of your side. Air units may fly over hostile territories, but must land in either a friendly territory that was friendly at the beginning of your turn, or on a friendly carrier by the end of the Place New Units phase.”
    Notice the first sentence so I would be leaning towards yes.

@Raider:

1. Are players aren’t allowed to move the newly activated units the turn they are activated. If so, does one just swap them out and the activated units are stuck there until the next player turn ?

Once again I am going back to Global 1940 for support, since as mentioned this is just a major tweak of that game, that those units do have to stay there the turn the country was activated. But can be reinforced with units if able to not travel through hostile territory.

Which if said country is surrounded by the “bad guys” not sure just flying a parachute division/regiment would be the best option.

Of course by no way official answers, this is how I read the rules with knowing it was originally advertised as a tweak of Global 1940.

Apologize if you didn’t want anybody answering except the makers but I find trying to answer other peoples questions is sometimes the best way to learn a game for myself.

• If germany wants to activate the pro axis balkan countries, does germany collect ipcs from them as well as they start collecting their fix ipc incomes?  Basically, germany activates romania, can germany be collecting the 4 ipcs from it and romania is still making its 6 ipcs per turn?  On top of that, can germany produce in those countries even though they are building their own units and such?  Like, can romania drop an infantry down and germany drop 3 infantry down(if they have a german controlled IC there) at the placement phase, all in romania?  DO the factories stay with the countries or do they turn german?

• '14

@ghr2:

If germany wants to activate the pro axis balkan countries, does germany collect ipcs from them as well as they start collecting their fix ipc incomes?  Basically, germany activates romania, can germany be collecting the 4 ipcs from it and romania is still making its 6 ipcs per turn?  On top of that, can germany produce in those countries even though they are building their own units and such?  Like, can romania drop an infantry down and germany drop 3 infantry down(if they have a german controlled IC there) at the placement phase, all in romania?  DO the factories stay with the countries or do they turn german?

I just posted the links to the 6.1 rules. These questions can be answered in the new rules. If you still have questions after reading the 6.1 rules post here and I will get back to you asap.

• Does germany still collect from romania even though romania is collecting its own income?

• On a different note, when will you have more of the expansion set:

http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/Global-War-Set-Global-War-Expansion_p_726.html

In stock?

• Page 25 in 6.1 rules under Germany.

• Page 25 is not clear on that.

• '14

Germany will collect ipc value from the axis minor territories as well as the axis minorcollecting there own.

• Thanks

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

@ghr2:

On a different note, when will you have more of the expansion set:

http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/Global-War-Set-Global-War-Expansion_p_726.html

In stock?

Hopefully soon. We can get one or two together here and there as inventory and time permits. Contains a lot of custom painted pieces still. Keep checking back or use our other sets to build your own custom kit. The complete parts list is on the site. Perhaps you can substitute some other pieces we have?

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

A group of us got together yesterday to set up the board, see what pieces we were missing, and start pulling the rules apart to see how the game plays.

We used the rules v6.1 and setup documents v6.1 that are posted for download on BGG. We came up with a lot of questions that we can’t seem to find answers to in the rules:

1. In what sea zone should the Argentinian navy be placed? The setup card lists a landlocked territory as their location.
    2. We are finding it hard to understand why Germany would NOT use the Vichy rule.
    3. Do fortifications in an attacked territory receive two defensive shots at 5 or less, or do they get one shot at 5 or less on 2d12?
    4. Do Russian partisans automatically form an infantry unit or can the Russian player choose to keep stacking partisans?
    5. If Russia attacks Germany first, does Germany still get its sneak attack on the first turn it attacks Russia? Japan�s sneak attack rule includes language that indicates it cannot already be at war with the power to sneak attack it. Germany�s sneak attack rule does not include this same language.
    6. If the secondary Russian capitol falls, what happen to the Russian IPCs? If Moscow is liberated, does it automatically become the new Russian capitol? If a liberated Moscow is retaken and is the capitol, what happens to any Russian IPCs? Can Russia again relocate its capitol a second time?
    7. Does the Japanese objective for the Dutch East Indies include all six islands? Do the Japanese have to hold Brunei to achieve the objective?
    8. What are the blue highlighted cells on the setup grids?

Reading through this thread actually raised another question:

9. It seems that folks here are playing as if Germany receives income from the minor Axis powers and the minor Axis powers each also receive income. That makes no sense, and nothing in the rules says that it works that way that I’ve found.

While folks just giving their opinion is cool, frankly, we want official answers to these questions.

Marshmallow

• '14

Give me 24 hours and ill clarify for you.

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@Tigerman77:

Give me 24 hours and ill clarify for you.

I’m pretty sure it’s been more than 24 hours…

We have come up with an additional question as well: If a bomber carries a paratrooper into combat does the bomber get to engage in combat as we’ll as the paratrooper.

Marsh

• '14

No. If the bomber is loaded with an airborne unit it is considered a transport for that turn.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

I just started trying to learn Global 1939 for the first time on the revised map, and to be completely honest I am confused.

On the 6.1 set up chart, it has Germany starting at 52 IPC’s, but I don’t know what this 24 production is.

Is this the maximum amount of units that can be produced by Germany in a turn?

It says in political situation that Minor Axis powers have a fixed income that they begin collecting on the turn they are activated by Germany.

Example: � Romania collects a fixed income of 6 production per turn. Germany only receives 4 production per turn for owning Romania.

Shouldn’t this say 6 IPC’s, instead of production?

It also says in the political situation that Minor Axis powers are limited to producing a maximum of 3 units per turn in their original territories. All production generated from territories captured by Minor Axis forces go to Germany.

Again, there is that word again, “production.”

Again, does this mean IPC’s or what does it mean?

I assuming that Romania can’t conquer territories for themselves, because essentially, their conquering territories for Germany.

Is this correct?

If so, they only get 6 IPC’s per turn.

How can they produce 3 units, their maximum?

The only way I see that being possible, is that they don’t spend for a turn or two and save their IPC’s.

Is this correct?

I’m assuming they can’t build industrial complexes in their own country because they are fighting for Germany, and this is why Germany can build IC in Romania because what would be the point for Romania to build one?

They can’t expand past Romania.

I’m just confused.

Can someone help me here?

I would appreciate it!

John

• '14

1. Production means: IPC’s produced per turn. So germany starts turn 1 with 52 ipcs but is only producing 24 per turn….+/- whatever they have gained or lost.

2. Romania is only worth 4 ipcs per turn when an axis country activates them. But, Romania will collect a separate income, or production, of 6 ipcs per turn. They may choose to save or spend ipcs like a regular counrty but may not build more than 3 units per turn. All minor axis countries conqour under the umbrella of the country who activated them.

Hope this has cleared thing up.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Tigerman77:

1. Production means: IPC’s produced per turn. So germany starts turn 1 with 52 ipcs but is only producing 24 per turn….+/- whatever they have gained or lost.

2. Romania is only worth 4 ipcs per turn when an axis country activates them. But, Romania will collect a separate income, or production, of 6 ipcs per turn. They may choose to save or spend ipcs like a regular counrty but may not build more than 3 units per turn. All minor axis countries conqour under the umbrella of the country who activated them.

Hope this has cleared thing up.

Ok, that clears it up. Thanks Tigerman77.

I forgot that 24 is the territory amount and 52 is the money amount. I looked on the Global map, and I believe I accounted for Germanys 24 territorial amount.

In the OOB games, they have the starting IPC’s the same as the territorial amount, and I think that was where my confusion was.

I still relatively new to this game.

Thanks again for answering my questions. :-)

John

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m