HBG's Global War 1939 FAQ

• @DMcLaren:

“A nation that loses its capital loses all of its saved IPPs (even if it does not technically surrender). Some nations can set up a second capital.”

Does the capturing player get to keep the IPPs?

No, the capturing player does not get to keep the IPP. See:
    http://www.globalwargame.com/www/question/money-from-deveated-nation/

(I’m guessing DMcLaren is asking about the 2nd edition of the 36/39 game, as his words are the exact words from the manual 9.20)

• I reread his post. I see he mentioned using 1st edition rule for bases in 2nd edition 36 39 game.

Just a reminder this thread is for the 1st edition rules.

• '20 '19 '18 Customizer

We’re using 2nd edition, version 1.2.

• Hi,
    here is a question we are contemplating with HGB Axis&Allies 1939 Revised Map, 7.2 Setup

Would neutral ships and more specifically neutral coastal ships defend themselfs (and in doing so prevent a landing) if an agressor attempted a landing into a landzone of that neutral country from the sea zone where that neutral countries (coastal) ships are located?

Or do you guys consider them harbored until after the fact just up for grabs for the agressor or the opposite faction via the rolling for neutral ships.

E.g. If Germany attempted a landing in Oslo from SZ7 where norwegian ships are also located.

Thanks in advance

• Yes the neutral ships get to defend.

• Hi,

got a question to the japanse sneak attack. If is use these sneak attack against us troops their not be able to shoot back in the first round of combat. This also involved the AAA firing at attacking aircraft?

thx for advantage

• @Ju87Stuka:

Hi,

got a question to the japanse sneak attack. If is use these sneak attack against us troops their not be able to shoot back in the first round of combat. This also involved the AAA firing at attacking aircraft?

thx for advantage

Yes

• SS thanks ur really good help. :roll:

The US starting to roll their willingness starting at 0.
    Does the UDSSR also starts at 0 or is the starting income + production level income ?

• @Ju87Stuka:

SS thanks ur really good help. :roll:

The US starting to roll their willingness starting at 0.
    Does the UDSSR also starts at 0 or is the starting income + production level income ?

Russia starts at 0. They roll 2 D12’s per turn for income. Also what ever territories Russia captures goes towards there income to.

• Can Communist China Units move into Russia after Russia annexed the Mongolian Landzones ?

• Ya

• After invoke the vichy rule is vichy a axis member ?

• Yes  but can’t move. Only defend and axis pieces can move into Vichy controlled territory’s.

• Hi,

i got question about com china and their IPC income. Com china is only allowed to place 1 inf.
    If udssr declares war on Japan. Com. china is allowed to attack/move into japanese orignial landzones. These ipc generated by com china are move to udssr ? or the complete lost ?
    same question if com. china move into empty nat.china landzones.

• @Ju87Stuka:

Hi,

i got question about com china and their IPC income. Com china is only allowed to place 1 inf.
    If udssr declares war on Japan. Com. china is allowed to attack/move into japanese orignial landzones. These ipc generated by com china are move to udssr ? or the complete lost ?

Com China can attack Japan at any time. Russia and Com. China can only attack together if Russia is at war with Japan. If Com. China captures a territory Russia doesn’t receive the money. Nobody collects it. Com. China can only capture a empty Nat. China territory and that icp is not collected for anybody.
    same question if com. china move into empty nat.china landzones.

• Don’t know if anyone here still alive to answer me but here goes.

Trying to understand the 7.2 rules but they seem to have been written by someone with a poor grasp of what a rulebook is suppose to be. A lot of is left implied. which is maddening because there’s a bunch of good ideas in there.

• If Italy is still neutral on turn 1, can they still move units? buy stuff? get income? Not war obviously.
    • Minor axis are confusing me. They get their own income. Fine simple. They have to buy infantry with their seperate money they get. Okay. Not sure how they’ll ever manage to build more than 1 infantry every so often except Romania who makes 2, but hey! whatever. Germany also gets the printed value of the territory for himself. All good. Simple. Minor can build a max of 3 units in their own territory. k? Do they need an industrial complex? If no, then whats the point of the rule afterwards that says Germany can build a minor in their territory but not use it? But hey, Germany can build a major and use it. [insert 10 minutes of me typing incoherent rage towards the author and erasing here]

-Pro neutrals that have more than one territory like Finland or Brazil. Does the pro side need to go into each territory or can they simply take one to get them all.

• I’m guessing this is the same as global 1940 but the rules say nothing. UK moving into china is a declaration of war towards Japan. Meaning they can only do it from turn 3 and onwards.

• All mainland japanesse territory apart from Korea are territories that originally belong to China.

• Let’s say I have a german force moving into Moscow. Major IC gets demoted to minor. Right after, Russians move in and recapture Moscow. Since they took a minor IC, this one is destroyed? What if it’s another power liberating a territory from a country who’s capital has fallen.

• IF Major ICs can only be built on native 3 value territory, why does karelia start with a major on a 2 value one??

• Carriers can now scramble their fighters/tac to adjacent sea zone AND territories but air bases can still only do it to sea zone.

• can I blitz through not yet activated pro- countries during the non-combat move?

• The only real purpose of identifying territories with vichy france and free france markers is for where the french boats and french foreign legiona re going to go. Once those rolls are done, I can switch them back to UK and german/japan makers since they get the inco anyway.
      -Naval bases are now sea zone dependant. Which means the naval base in scotland only touches sz 15 and not sz 14 and 13.
      If so, does Madras get two for sz 67 and 66 or is it the same in the middle. Same for the one in south africa with sz 63 and 77.
      Following that logic, the naval base in Gibraltar only touches sz 35 abnd not 36. If so that is very silly.

• Commie China never gets more than 1 infantry per turn, or any other unit even if they own all of China.

Finally the supply rule. Which is pretty good. Real clear. Love the idea.
    But start of the game. Formosa. It’s got 2 veteran fighters. The island is not connected with a naval base but it has an air base.
    So at the start of the game, these 2 fighters start with penalties to combat and movement. Seems a bit silly.
    Rules say plane movement is halved. What happens if the plane movement is an odd number because of air base or technology? Round up/down?

that’s it.

• @Undertaker:

Don’t know if anyone here still alive to answer me but here goes.

Trying to understand the 7.2 rules but they seem to have been written by someone with a poor grasp of what a rulebook is suppose to be. A lot of is left implied. which is maddening because there’s a bunch of good ideas in there.

• If Italy is still neutral on turn 1, can they still move units? buy stuff? get income? Not war obviously.
      Yes and can attack UK

• Minor axis are confusing me. They get their own income. Fine simple. They have to buy infantry with their seperate money they get. Okay. Not sure how they’ll ever manage to build more than 1 infantry every so often except Romania who makes 2, but hey! whatever. Germany also gets the printed value of the territory for himself. All good. Simple. Minor can build a max of 3 units in their own territory. k? Do they need an industrial complex? If no, then whats the point of the rule afterwards that says Germany can build a minor in their territory but not use it? But hey, Germany can build a major and use it. [insert 10 minutes of me typing incoherent rage towards the author and erasing here]
      The minors yes have minor IC. If you save money for 2 turns than u can buy a tank for them. The IC on axis minors are like make believe. You could put the minors country token under them and when Germany buys a IC put a country token under that IC. But once you play more no need for it. You will know you can build a axis minor unit a turn anyway.
      -Pro neutrals that have more than one territory like Finland or Brazil. Does the pro side need to go into each territory or can they simply take one to get them all.

If you go in to the territory with the capital of a pro neutral then that activates all territories to your side. Other  wise it�s one territory at a time.

• I’m guessing this is the same as global 1940 but the rules say nothing. UK moving into china is a declaration of war towards Japan. Meaning they can only do it from turn 3 and onwards.
      Correct

• All mainland japanesse territory apart from Korea are territories that originally belong to China.

• Let’s say I have a german force moving into Moscow. Major IC gets demoted to minor. Right after, Russians move in and recapture Moscow. Since they took a minor IC, this one is destroyed? YESWhat if it’s another power liberating a territory from a country who’s capital has fallen.Still Destroyed ic.

• IF Major ICs can only be built on native 3 value territory, why does karelia start with a major on a 2 value one?? Just a starting setup

• Carriers can now scramble their fighters/tac to adjacent sea zone AND territories but air bases can still only do it to sea zone.Correct

• can I blitz through not yet activated pro- countries during the non-combat move? Yes Germany can activate the 3 minors on turn 1 plus Finland

• The only real purpose of identifying territories with vichy france and free france markers is for where the french boats and french foreign legiona re going to go. Once those rolls are done, I can switch them back to UK and german/japan makers since they get the inco anyway.No but get income
      -Naval bases are now sea zone dependant. Which means the naval base in scotland only touches sz 15 and not sz 14 and 13.
      If so, does Madras get two for sz 67 and 66 or is it the same in the middle. Same for the one in south africa with sz 63 and 77.
      Following that logic, the naval base in Gibraltar only touches sz 35 abnd not 36. If so that is very silly.

• Commie China never gets more than 1 infantry per turn, or any other unit even if they own all of China. Correct

Finally the supply rule. Which is pretty good. Real clear. Love the idea.
    But start of the game. Formosa. It’s got 2 veteran fighters. The island is not connected with a naval base but it has an air base.
    So at the start of the game, these 2 fighters start with penalties to combat and movement. Seems a bit silly.
    Rules say plane movement is halved. What happens if the plane movement is an odd number because of air base or technology? Round up/down? This rule I have not used in game. I would need to go back and check.
    Best not to use.

that’s it.

• Thanks for the quick reply.

-While I have you attention, is there any picture of the revised map anywhere on the web that’s not made for ants? I’m trying to see the difference in borders but the picture for ants on boardgame geeks is the only one I could find.

-Naval bases are sea zone dependant? So I have to build one in a territory specially for a particular sea zone? Which means the naval base in scotland only touches sz 15 and not sz 14 and 13.
    Following that logic, the naval base in Gibraltar only touches sz 35 abnd not 36.

• For south Africa and India, it says I have to produce a required amount of infantry on the factory. Is the amount required every turn or simply when the factory is being used.

• And finally, can players that play on the same turn, like the commonwealth use the same transports as if they were the same power or do I have to fall back on the transports rules of axis and allies? For example 2 canadian transports carrying and dropping 1 anzac, 2 british and one FEC unit.

• @Undertaker:

Thanks for the quick reply.

-While I have you attention, is there any picture of the revised map anywhere on the web that’s not made for ants? I’m trying to see the difference in borders but the picture for ants on boardgame geeks is the only one I could find.

-Naval bases are sea zone dependant? So I have to build one in a territory specially for a particular sea zone? Which means the naval base in scotland only touches sz 15 and not sz 14 and 13. Its in sz 14
    Following that logic, the naval base in Gibraltar only touches sz 35 abnd not 36. Correct. Also 2 naval bases go into Hong Kong.

• For south Africa and India, it says I have to produce a required amount of infantry on the factory. Is the amount required every turn or simply when the factory is being used. Only if you buy and place there for those factories.

• And finally, can players that play on the same turn, like the commonwealth use the same transports as if they were the same power or do I have to fall back on the transports rules of axis and allies? For example 2 canadian transports carrying and dropping 1 anzac, 2 british and one FEC unit. UK, Fec and Anzac all play on same turn. But you have to wait a turn to unload from another countries transports.

Heres a map pic. You need to download the setup sheets for 7.2. That will tell you where everything goes.

image1(27).png

• Thanks. Any pic of the entire map?
    All the pics on the net are made for ants.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m