• @wittman:

Thanks Worsham and others. WW1 not in my military history knowledge, so have been following you all without commenting. I had understood the Germans’ 1918 offensive nearly worked. I think the US’ arrival on the Western Front, therefore, probably tipped the balance against them.

That plus the fact that, by 1918, four years of Allied blockade had resulted in widespread hunger in the German Army and the German population at large.  As one example: when the Germans introduced their successful infiltration tactics late in the war, advancing German infantry who captured Allied lines would sometimes halt their attack in order to stop and eat when they got to the Allied supply dumps.  Allied superiority in armour also had some effect (bearing in mind that tank technology was still primitive), and Allied planning for 1919 – had the war not yet ended – included ideas for the use of armour closely supported by aircraft…a forerunner of Blitzkrieg tactics.

• Ironic how we have all tried to starve England with a  convoy strategy and it was the Allies who did it to Germany in WW1.

• It’s widely thought that Germany’s conquest of Romania is all that kept the German Army and People from complete starvation. Germany brought by train between 300 and 400 million tons of grain occupied Romania.

Germany also had a few long range U-Boats that went to the U.S to get precious supplies. In the early years of the war, the U-Boats were welcomed as heros.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m