• @Gargantua:

Where’s the 6th FallschirmJager? The Green Devils?!?!

They were organized into the 91st German Div.

• I have to go with the good old Big Red One on this poll.

• @ABWorsham:

@Gargantua:

Where’s the 6th FallschirmJager? The Green Devils?!?!

They were organized into the 91st German Div.

Thanks. Had forgotten that and that the 91st’s commander, Falley, was the first
    German general killed in Normandy.
    The fight between the paras is a good one in Band of Brothers.

• @Deaths:

the 12th were Hitler youth lead by LSSAH officers and NCO’s.   I don’t see how they could even count since they were not on the Sea wall on the 6th.

this will almost count as well on the 352nd Inf. Div. since they lacked on translators for the Ostbatallion Reg. and Folks Germans. Being refreshed with 17/18 year olds. Mainly led by Vetran Officers or NCO´s and called fully equipped and ready since 1st of March ´44 but basicly not properly trained due lack of ammo and food shortage.

Any how I´ll Go with the 21st Panzer Lehr Div. 8-)

U.S. 101 would be a close 2nd to me

• 21st and Panzer Lehr were 2 different divisions.
    Pz Lehr was near Le mans on the 6th and was  the strongest Panzer division in France, with 180 MkIVs and Panthers.
    The  21st only had one good battalion of MkIVs, the other battalion was mostly made of old French tanks. It was also the only one to see action on D Day.

• @wittman:

21st and Panzer Lehr were 2 different divisions.
    Pz Lehr was near Le mans on the 6th and was  the strongest Panzer division in France, with 180 MkIVs and Panthers.
    The  21st only had one good battalion of MkIVs, the other battalion was mostly made of old French tanks. It was also the only one to see action on D Day.

my bad mixed it up…I personaly prefer the Lehr Division led by Bayerlein but according to the topic I picked 21. PD by Generalleutnant Edgar Feuchtinger and mixed it up, you´re right. Thanks for letting me know.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

No offense to any Americas, but I’m rooting for the 91st. :P

• Americans do not get offended. They won didn’t they?
    Garg you really like those German paras? You must really love Heidrich’s 1st who fought in Italy then. I have been to Cassino, but was 17, so need to go again.

• @wittman:

I have been to Cassino, but was 17, so need to go again.

And to put another perspective on your earlier visit, keep in mind that quite a few U.S. infantrymen in WWII were just a couple of years older than you were when you went to Cassino.

The Average age of the defenders was 17.96,  almost 18 :P

• 08/15 at war…

• sorry had to vote for my old group the 101st.

• When did the Battle of Monte Cassino become stictly a German-American Battle? It was a battle between the Germans and the Americans, British, Poles, Free French, British Indian, New Zealand.

• I thought it was the battle with the largest number of troops from different countries. Weren’t there some Brazilians present too? (A&A is historical!)

• @ABWorsham:

When did the Battle of Monte Cassino become stictly a German-American Battle? It was a battle between the Germans and the Americans, British, Poles, Free French, British Indian, New Zealand.

and don’t forget the Gurkhas!  :-D

LOL, the worst part was when the allies bombed the Monastery @ Monte Cassino.

Only civilians managed to be killed, and the deal the germans had, was that so long as the Monks stayed in the Monastery, it wouldn’t be occupied.

Thereby bombing it, and killing the monk’s, forcing them to leave… it suddenly became a German outpost!

• '12

@aequitas:

@wittman:

Pz Lehr was near Le mans on the 6th and was � the strongest Panzer division in France, with 180 MkIVs and Panthers.
    The � 21st only had one good battalion of MkIVs, the other battalion was mostly made of old French tanks. It was also the only one to see action on D Day.

my bad mixed it up…I personaly prefer the Lehr Division led by Bayerlein but according to the topic I picked 21. PD by Generalleutnant Edgar Feuchtinger and mixed it up, you´re right. Thanks for letting me know.

Panzer Lehr was the 130th Panzer Division.

• @moralecheck:

@aequitas:

@wittman:

Pz Lehr was near Le mans on the 6th and was � the strongest Panzer division in France, with 180 MkIVs and Panthers.
    The � 21st only had one good battalion of MkIVs, the other battalion was mostly made of old French tanks. It was also the only one to see action on D Day.

Panzer Lehr was the 130th Panzer Division.

You are refering to the Panzer Lehr Regiment 130 wich was part of the Panzer Lehr Division.
    Panzer Lehr Division is also often just called Lehr or Panzer Lehr as the Division. (but it may varie)

Structuring :

Panzer-Lehr-Regiment 130                 /Tank Reg. 130

Panzergrenadier-Lehr-Regiment 901  / Mechanized Inf.

Panzergrenadier-Lehr-Regiment 902  / Mechanized Inf.

Panzer-Artillerie-Regiment 130

Feldersatz-Bataillon 130                   Â

Panzeraufklärungs-Lehr-Abteilung 130   / Reconnaissance

Heeres-Flak-Artillerie-Abteilung 311      / Anti Air Artillerie

Panzerjäger-Abteilung 130                    / Tank Destroyer

Panzer-Lehr-Pionier-Bataillon 130          / Pioneers-Engineers

Panzernachrichten-Abteilung 130           / Communication

Panzer-Versorgungstruppen 130            / Supplys

I´ll try to  be more specific next time.    :-)

• '12

Lol, that was specific enough!!!  :-D

Pieper’s Blowtorch Batallion has the coolest name of all time.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m