• i think i’m sold on the game. I’ll be looking to buy it for myself for x-mas. And pieces aren’t a problem I got enough of those. Axis and Allies could stop supplying pieces and (if this meant a lower cost for the game) I wouldn’t care. I only need but so many little army men. If anyone knows about Singapore 1942 go to the tread about it and let me know about that game please.

• @Pacific:

An atom bomb strike also affects the sea or land space that it’s dropped in for a period of time.Â

Over the years, I’ve gradually upgraded (as various games have appeared on the market to provide new pieces) the sculpts I use to represent nukes in board games.  For the bombs themselves, I use the eight white missile sculpts from Superpowers:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/495090/superpowers?size=large

The sculpts look more bomb-like when they’re horizontal rather than vertical, so as an added refinement I mount them on the eight black plastic slotted boss card holders from Risk: Metal Gear Solid.

For detonated bombs, I use the black plastic mushroom cloud sculpts from The Sushi-Jalapeno War by Xeno Games:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/108844/sushi-jalapeno-war?size=large

As post-explosion markers, I originally used the cardboard nuclear tokens from East & West…

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/99821/east-west-global-war-in-1948?size=large

…but I later switched to the plastic nuclear hazard tokens produced by Litko Game Accessories:

http://www.litko.net/products/Nuclear-Hazard-Token-Set.html

The Litko tokens are rather big, however, so I’m thinking of getting the radiation markers produced by HBG…

http://www.historicalboardgaming.com/HBG-Radiation-Marker-_p_734.html

…which are better sized but which (unlike most of HBG’s battle markers) are made of cardboard rather than acrylic.  (If HBG has any plans to produce an acrylic version of its radiation marker, that would be great news.)

• I bought this game around the time it came out (2001) and have played it quite a bit. If anyone out there is interested in discussing, strategizing, or theorycrafting about E&W, hit me up.

I haven’t posted on the Imp Games forums in about 2 years, but was banned from there less than a week ago for some reason  :?

Some of my synopses and houserule sets/rebalancing ideas are still posted on the Imp Games forum (afaik)

I was just recently talked into starting a new game of E&W, and I am hooked all over again :) I would love to find anyone else who is into this game.

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

The radiation markers from HBG are NOT cardboard, they are a pressed board 1/8" (3mm) thick.
    These markers are superior IMHO to about any marker on the market.
    They are printed on a treated surface using sublimation and are are scratch resistant.
    On your next order, I would very happy to send you a sample, just ask for one in the comments section.
    Thanks,
    Coach

• @Pacific:

I remember that I nuked North Korea (that nuke cost me 20 IPC’s IIRC) only to see my buddy smile and replentish all the infantry I killed on his next turn!  I forgot about some dang rule that gives NK access to LOADS of infantry.  What a waste of money that attack was.

At the end of the Soviet’s turn (presumably on the non-combat move phase; the rule is a little vague) if China is contributing any income to them, the soviet player may “move” up to 6 Chinese (i.e. neutral) infantry from Manchuria to North Korea. The rules go on to say that the infantry moved out of Manchuria are automatically replaced on the Soviet “place units” phase, and that Manchuria will always have he same number of Chinese infantry.

If Chinese support drops to where they are not sending income to the USSR, the rule says the Chinese infantry in North Korea are “returned to China” which sort of conflicts with the previous rule about there always being the same number of infantry in Manchuria. In my experience, when this happens, most players assumed the infantry in North Korea “spontaneously combusted.” I can’t recall there ever having been an “official” ruling from Imp Games on this point, but maybe there was and I just missed it.

• A bit of thread necromancy here, but with regards to pieces, E&W is meant to be played with the supplied pieces + the set from the original (1984) Axis&Allies. However, you can pretty much play it perfectly with the pieces from A&A:Revised, although having a ton of extra mini poker chips helps.

• Hey you. Miss all the Imp peeps. Seems we all drifted apart.

• @Imperious:

Hey you. Miss all the Imp peeps. Seems we all drifted apart.

Imp forums are down! Did you notice that? I checked it a while back and it’s 404’d

But yeah, I’ve become more of a D&D geek than a boardgame geek in the interim.
    The other thing is E&W has stagnated while the A&A brand has reinvented itself a few times since the early 2000s.

I kind of wonder what an updated E&W would look like? Like, with the naval rules where transports are hit last and just die automatically if unguarded, for example.

• They were down for years unfortunately.

• So for anyone who’s played E&W, what did you like about the game?

For me, what it comes down to is managing equipment. Like, it’s very much an IPM-style game, so keeping your tanks and aircraft safe while at the same time exerting force as effectively as possible, is the whole puzzle of E&W. The early attacks made by the Soviets are usually about reducing the number of front lines they have to fight on, but also destroying NATO’s equipment (particularly transports, but also armor and fighters.)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m