• I asked this question a while back, but since Alpha 3, I have heard of many different options for Germany in terms of attacking Russia.

So on which turn do you attack Russia?

Please explain why, and if you want to be elaborate, explain where and what you attack with.

• I choose G4. By going G4 you can move twice as many units on the front for the initial wave, lessening the chance for counter attack. I build a minor IC in Romania, and coupled with the infantry from Bulgaria I can add 10+ units to my southern force in time for the initial attack. G4 gives you time to position all your initial units anywhere you want them to be. Also, you can dedicate your airforce and Navy to 3 solid rounds of crippling the UK or helping out Italy.

• just to give an overall - and very brief assessment:

g1 sucks since than usa can go full bmbrs and uk can drop egy fac in uk1. means basically gg

by going g2 u can both feign sealion, opening med for ita and stack novgorod 100% on g3.

g3 is similar to g2 with only major exception being ger slower than a g2 by 1 round.

g4 is letting allies outproduce axis for too long and giving too much time to uk and usa to take proper positions. similar to g1 it basically means gg.

so for barb, a g2 dow is usually the most optimal one.

ps: check the most optimal g1 topic for further details.

• G1 FTW!

• I said G3, but I like to have Italy start the fight on It2, then Germany NCM their stack into the Italian own E Poland. It allows the Germans to bring a couple ftrs if they want to, and they still get the the wheat NO.

• Depends on the mood and the game; but anywhere between and including G1 to G3.
    G1 to have fun n’ mess around - G3 if I did/want to do Sealion - G2 normally.

• @WILD:

I said G3, but I like to have Italy start the fight on It2, then Germany NCM their stack into the Italian own E Poland. It allows the Germans to bring a couple ftrs if they want to, and they still get the the wheat NO.

Plus put a German sub in z125 and Russia misses the Murmansk NO (ie Germany gets $5; Russia doesn’t!).

• G3, unless Uk places 9 Inf on 1; then I go G2, but only if I bought a DD on G1.

• Why build 9 Inf as UK on Turn 1 w/the UK? 4 Inf, 4 Art is a better build. More offense. Better invasion capability later in the game. You can also counter better if Germany invades Scotland.

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Best solution is to attack with Japan round 1.  Attack with Italy round 3.  Attack with Germany by moving into Italy’s spot in USSR round 4.  Build minor IC in Romania G2.

• We did Japan turn 2 and then Germany turn 3. I was going to go turn 2 with Germany but by taking one extra turn I could put all of my German units exactly where I wanted them in terms of attacking. Idk why people are talking about if UK has fleet around the UK.  That should never happen. Germany’s two goals turn 1 are to take France(maybe leaving South France for Italy if you want them to get extra income) and take out the UK fleet(other then in the Med, that is Italy’s job). With fleet + airforce you have more then enough to do it(unless the dice screw you).  As long as you do Germany by turn 3 I think you are good. For no reason should Russia be able to attack first. Also Germany shouldn’t attack alone either. I think Japan is a better option then Italy as a partner. Germany builds as many tanks as it can afford.

• What kind of Strategy are you guys using for G2? It just seems that you will have no reinforcements and will be more susceptible to counter attack. I’ve never done it, so I have no idea.

• @KillOFzee:

What kind of Strategy are you guys using for G2? It just seems that you will have no reinforcements and will be more susceptible to counter attack. I’ve never done it, so I have no idea.

They way I would do a G2 attack would be:
    G1) do not attack Yugoslavia, lose artillery before mech in France, NCM everything in range to Hungary
    G2) build 10 artillery in Germany, march into East Poland, strafe Yugo with some infantry from Hungary and mobile units from France then retreat them to Hungary, and NCM some planes to Hungary.
    G3) build 10 mech in Germany, attack either Belarus or North Ukraine using units from East Poland and Hungary.  NCM 10 artillery from Germany to Hungary, and the 10 mechs will catch up to them next turn.  Keep building 10 mech per turn in Germany for a few rounds.

I prefer going south (North Ukraine) but if you build transports G1 you might prefer going North (Belarus).  Either way, they will probably withdraw from Novgorod and/or South Ukraine.  Around Bryansk you will come up against a wall of Russian infantry/artillery that will force you to stop for a turn.  When that happens the 10 artillery you built round 2 will catch up to the front and the artillery/mech combos supported by air units stationed in East Poland will allow you to crush the Bolsheviks.  The advantage to this fast Barbarossa is that it gives Russia fewer turns to build infantry.

• Another Axis Victory….this time in 6 rounds(took 9 last time), Germany attacked Russia turn 3, Japan attacked turn Russia 1. Victory in Europe. 6 victory cities for Germany, 2 for Italy. Allies couldn’t respond fast enough or well enough to make any difference. It came down to Germany and Japan pounding the crap out of Russia. Japan didn’t declare war on the UK or the USA. USA entered war end of turn 3 and the UK declared war on Japan the next turn. Two major navel battles were fought in Hawaii and both were won by the USA. Japan wiped out the rest of the allied fleets with their super sub tech. Japan took all of China but lost part of it by the end of Round 6. The land battle was turning against Japan in China.  The USA had a fleet sitting two spaces from Japan.  USA had a round 6 invasion of Norway.  I believe that is about it in terms of things of note.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m