Mediteranean Amphibious Assault question

• I have an AA42 map. Say I am Germany and my opponent has a lone DD in SZ15 guarding Anglo-egypt Sudan.
    Can I take out the DD with my land based planes first and then move my BB and transport in for the invasion? If not please explain…

• sort of.  All combat moves are simultaneous and all combat moves must be completed before any combat occurs.

You can move the BB and transport into SZ 15 with the UK destroyer and declare your intention to unload for an amphib assault.  You can also move planes to SZ15.  But what this will amount to is a battle between the UK destroyer and the German BB & planes (the transports is peripherally involved in the battle, in that if you lose, you would need to retreat).

Then you conduct the naval battle.  If you win, then you have the land battle with the transport units.  But you cannot bombard, because the BB was used in the naval combat.

• Got it -thanks! So then can I legally attack the DD with just my BB and transport, sink it, and use my land based planes that weren’t used there to help in the amphibious assault?

• @Der:

Got it -thanks! So then can I legally attack the DD with just my BB and transport, sink it, and use my land based planes that weren’t used there to help in the amphibious assault?

Not exactly.  Before any dice are rolled, during the combat MOVE phase, you choose where you want each of your units to fight, but they can only participate in one battle each.

Each plane you send to Egypt to help with the amphibious assault does not participate in the naval combat in SZ15.  Each plane you send to SZ15 fights in the naval battle, but cannot participate in the amphibious assault in Egypt.

So, you can risk it, and use only the BB against the DD in SZ15, and have both planes and the units from the transport roll against the UK units in Egypt.  Considering the BB has two hits, it’s LIKELY you’ll win, but there’s always a chance you get skunked against the destroyer and your BB dies, in which case you would HAVE to retreat the transport.  If that occured, both planes (and any land units not from the amphibious assault) would be required to commit to one round of combat in Egypt before they could retreat.

Does that make sense?

• Yes and I’m realizing I’ve been playing this game totally wrong for years! Thanks.  :|

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m