• If the Germans are going to build 4 transports on G2, and then 5 inf and 5 arty every respective turn afterward, how should I go about stopping them as Russia if I know the German player has the intent of constantly landing man in Novgorod every turn?

• Depends on what everybody else is doing, but I’d say abandon it (or at least defend it minimally) and if possible strike into Germany from the southern regions.

• If the Germans build 4 Trans on Turn 2(too many in my opinion, usually 3 is good), then they’ve sacrificed too many IPC’s on Transports. If the Germans build 4 Trans on Turn 2, then most likely they won’t attack until Turn 3. By that time, you can have a large stack of Inf in Nov to defend. Also marshal your forces in Bel w/lot’s of Inf w/Art to counter attack back into Nov and defend a northern attack by the Germans into Bel/Epl, then up into Bel or Nov. If you must, leave 1 Inf behind in Nov and be prepared to counter attack w/lot’s of Inf & Art from Bel. Also, if Germany G3’s Russia, you should possibly also have some fast movers(i.e. Mech & Arm) from Russia to counter attack. Hope this helps… If you need or want additional info, let me know. Is this an online game or an in person game?

• 5inf 5art is 34ipc a turn, then you figure in the transport cost, plus after turn3 he’ll be making like 50ish?

you’ll be outproducing him in no time, especially if he’s diverting resources to other ventures like convoying UK or building up the luftwaffe.

did germany buy navy g1 as well?

• Well here is a more detailed plan of what I believe the German player is going to do. (This is a face to face game)

G1: Buys 2 transports, 1 minor IC in Romania
    Attacks sz 110 and sz 111, but not sure about what he will bring.

G2: buys 2 more transports and any combination of ground units.
    Moves units along the Russian border

G3 and beyond: Buys 5 inf 5 art (35 IPCs), plus tanks in Romania
    Lands guys in Either Novgorod or Baltic states, together with his land based forces if he chooses the latter.

My problem is that if he lands all is forces in the Baltic states on G3, he will have a force of 20+ inf, 9 arty, and 6 tanks. Even if I can counterattack, there’s no way I can have any success against it, not to mention being susceptible to counterattacks by his forces in Romania and Slovakia.

I was thinking that a good strategy might be to buy a bunch of bombers as UK or US, and then smash his transports, because his transports will be in sz 115, and he will not be able to scramble any fighters. What do you think of this?

• if you anticipate a j2 DOW in pacific then go all bombers US1 and place them in e/c usa.  us2 they fly to UK, and us3 they sink the trannies.  not a horrible idea.  and if j3 is the DOW just move everything back a turn and you’ve gained some ground/time in pacific

also, regarding russian counters…

it’s my experience that russia can’t really try to start countering or strafing until their forces combine in bryansk.  there you can martial the entire might of your army and utilize it while still providing defense for the south.  so don’t worry about losing leningrad and the 3 front territories without counters or even counter threats.  with that many art he’s gonna want to attack you, and that’s how the russians win on the eastern front.  that or an underdeveloped axis stack parks next to them and gets mauled by the bear

• @KillOFzee:

Well here is a more detailed plan of what I believe the German player is going to do. (This is a face to face game)

G1: Buys 2 transports, 1 minor IC in Romania
    Attacks sz 110 and sz 111, but not sure about what he will bring.

G2: buys 2 more transports and any combination of ground units.
    Moves units along the Russian border

G3 and beyond: Buys 5 inf 5 art (35 IPCs), plus tanks in Romania
    Lands guys in Either Novgorod or Baltic states, together with his land based forces if he chooses the latter.

My problem is that if he lands all is forces in the Baltic states on G3, he will have a force of 20+ inf, 9 arty, and 6 tanks. Even if I can counterattack, there’s no way I can have any success against it, not to mention being susceptible to counterattacks by his forces in Romania and Slovakia.

I was thinking that a good strategy might be to buy a bunch of bombers as UK or US, and then smash his transports, because his transports will be in sz 115, and he will not be able to scramble any fighters. What do you think of this?

Wait, so he is relying on a BB and CR to defend the TT shuck?

• Well he generally will buy a DD to supplement his fleet, but other than that, he has a 1 BB, 1 CR, and 1 DD to defend his transports.

And when we played a Europe game, he had a CR and a DD, so I used both Russian fighters to weaken his navy so I could finish it off with 2 UK bombers. I missed with both fighters and only got 1 hit with the bombers, while he managed to wipe out all four planes.

• Wow that sucked, did you surrender right there and start a new game. Russia can’t lose ftrs w/no gain LOL

• @WILD:

Wow that sucked, did you surrender right there and start a new game. Russia can’t lose ftrs w/no gain LOL

We did,  but it was only a Europe games, so no harm done.

• TripleA

well, usa can sink that with bombers.

you can race pacific against the europe half and go full KJF, there are plenty of spaces between egypt and russia and you can turtle up london just fine in the later rounds… as long as you get pacific done in time for usa to go full atlantic, it is all good.

russia always falls unless germany takes london first then russia can hang on for a long time.

sometimes japan industrial bombs russia for 20, so yeah it is kinda hard to hold russia.

• Russian always falls unless Germany takes London? Really? I haven’t seen this in the games I’ve played. But then, the US usually employs a KGF strategy. That combined w/a strong UK player makes it hard for Germany. I guess if you have weak US/UK player(s) or employ a KJF strategy that might be the case but not if you have a strong US/UK player(s) and employ a KGF strategy…

• “russia always falls unless germany takes london first then russia can hang on for a long time”

Yeah I don’t think you can toss out a blanket statement like that. There is a lot that the allies can do to stall the German onslaught, then turn things around. The allies (UK) need to hold places like Persia to allow air traffic into Moscow, maybe even carrier planes fly into Russia. UK filtering ground units up from India/Egypt to hold the back door, pressure/landings in Europe to force Germany to spend income in defense instead of only on the eastern front etc…

It’s not easy, and takes a concentrated effort. Sometimes it comes down to the final battle for Moscow, but the allies can make it a last desperate move for Germany. Even if successful what did it cost the axis, and do they have good position. Are the allies closing in ready to liberate the Russians right away, who has Italy, hell maybe the French are even being liberated (the later would be strange from what we’ve seen, but it could happen).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m