• '17 '16 '15 '14

Got a question about the map, SZ 3 touches UK and SZ 2 and SZ6.  The first time we played, it was hard to see just exactly where the lines touches so UK decided that SZ2 touched SZ6 enabling hitting EE.  I also have a hard time dealing with R1 hitting Bel and WestRussia.  of course, when I played Russia, the G1 counter attack decimated my forces in WR making the game basically over.

I’ve read a bunch of the strats, I just have hard time figuring out how to deal with some of the dice rolls.  On one roll, I had 8 tanks defending a territory which was attacked by 7 infantry and 3 fighters.  After 1 round of combat, I had 0 tanks and the attacker had 6 infantry and 3 fighters.  Trading $5 tanks for $3 infantry isn’t wise however I felt on average G could afford it since R had bought only 3 infantry, 1 fighter and 1 tank vs G 8 tanks.

Has anyone ever use the option of calling high/low on the dice?  I roll a lot more 5s and 6s than 1s and 2s…

Kirk S.

• @craykirk:

Has anyone ever use the option of calling high/low on the dice?  I roll a lot more 5s and 6s than 1s and 2s…

It’s dice. You can get bad, average or good results. You/your opponent  can get a series of bad, bad, worse, worse, terrible results the entire game, or good, good, excellent, etc. In most games the results will even out between the players. That’s why it’s random. And dice has no memory - it doesn’t remember past rolls - the next one may no go your way after a bad one.

Your opponent got good dice since on average he would have killed 3 of your units on the first round, while you would have killed 4. But that’s how dice goes.

• '17 '16 '15 '14

Thanks…  Yeah, I know probabilities and after the calculation, I was even more sick…  Just like everyone else, I get worse than average rolls. :lol:  How about the map question around UK?

I think my problem with Germany is that I see so many possibilities that I want to do them all at once :-o

Take Africa only to see America bring over two transports of infantry and tanks.  I started thinking about all the tanks I could have in Europe after turn three and forgot the basics of income.  Getting stomped by a couple of bad rolls is just frustrating.  If I wanted to push infantry, I could break out the old A&A Classic.

The map is so different from classic, I should just play some tripleA and rethink the old way of playing.

Kirk S.

• Official Q&A

Sea zone 3 touches United Kingdom.  Sea zones 2 and 6 do not touch each other.

• @craykirk:

I think my problem with Germany is that I see so many possibilities that I want to do them all at once :-o

This thread may help

Take Africa only to see America bring over two transports of infantry and tanks.  I started thinking about all the tanks I could have in Europe after turn three and forgot the basics of income.  Getting stomped by a couple of bad rolls is just frustrating.  If I wanted to push infantry, I could break out the old A&A Classic.

But here the infantry push is not so straightforwards as in classic - advance to Karelia or Ukraine? Or what about the Japs on Asia? Now they have 3 routes to advance. You’ll infantry but you’ll also need armor.

• '17 '16 '15 '14

Thanks…  I’m still trying to figure out how to handle that 1%-10% situation where it all goes wrong on the first turn.  Seems very difficult to deal with given that I have to count on the same from the other player.  Especially as Germany or Russia; if the first round goes badly for either side, it is basically game over.

It isn’t chess and it’s not even checkers; it is basically probability and hoping you don’t get diced.  I think it would be interesting to have each nation buy at the start of the turn blind.  It seems too easy for the US/UK/RS to react.

Not that I am any good at any of those games…

I just need to give it more of a chance.  Do subs really get to fire with instant kill on each turn unless they submerge?

Kirk S.

• You do get diced once in a while, but it is not necessarily game over G1 if sz2 or Égypt fails.

Germany can really be a tough nut to crack, and even if the German players dream of Africa and Moscow takes a serious blow on G1, he can really dig in and make it very difficult for the allies to get a foot in in Europe.

A chunk of armor in E. Europe, stacks of inf in western and Germany and an airforce threatening to take a shot at that essential transfer fleet can take a long time to crack.

When I feel I am behind, I often take more risks than usual - going for that 50% UK Navy battle, or making risky strafing attacks on an exposed USSR stack.

You can also try to advance faster with Japan - maybe try to take India J1 or by doing the risky pacific double move hitting both sz52 and the US battleship+transporter at the western us shore on J1.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m