• Honestly, I dont believe seniority gives anyone the right to be flat out rude to others.  It is stupid how some people can get away with insulting attacks, and when the attacked defend themselves, they get branded as “hostile” or said that they made a   “DoW on the community.”

• @ghr2:

Honestly, I dont believe seniority gives anyone the right to be flat out rude to others. � It is stupid how some people can get away with insulting attacks, and when the attacked defend themselves, they get branded as “hostile” or said that they made a �  “DoW on the community.”

ok then ask yourself this, your in a store and you see a merchandiser working on his company rack, and a customer, the customer comments about why the merchandiser is setting his rack up the way he is, and how it looks wrong and aweful, next thing you know the merchandiser calls the customer an imbecile and stupid, what would your thoughts be?

• Your anaolgy forgets that the customer is the one who is calling the merchandiser an imbecile aswell as arguing about the rack. � It should draw simpathy for the merchandiser who is being blatantly harassed. � Instead, the other customers are comming in and harassing the merchandiser aswell. � So, I am inclined to lend my support to the merchandiser. � It would be alot better if the original customer would calmly use constructive criticism instead of the verbal attacks. �  There is no excuse for anyone to act rude or to attack others personally. �

Btw, smo called garg a villain because “Axis&Allies.org Villain” � or something like that is under his avatar. � I do agree greg should of kept his cool a little more, but who would keep their cool of some one is talking trash to them?

And your right, garg does not represent this website, so there is no reason to assume greg is against the online commuity, since his “attack” was directed at garg’s behavior.

• I would expect the merhcandiser to pick up the customer and throw him out of the building and to get a cheer from the others.

• @ghr2:

I would expect the merhcandiser to pick up the customer and throw him out of the building and to get a cheer from the others.

yeah well evidently you never worked in the retail field, there is a saying the customer is always right, it doesn’t matter if he isn’t, but you have to act like he is, furthermore, have you read the discussion? also in this case the customer did not call the merchandiser an imbecile, up to the point where Garg was attacked he did not attack anyone in particular, but commented how the way the event is run, and that you might as well remove all the rules and such if your going to change it. if Greg was one of my reps and I saw this convo he would no longer be a rep.

• Well then, I just lost a little more hope for humanity today.  When some people get away with BS and others get the shaft.  Reminds me of that story recently where that cashier got fired for defending himself and other customers from an armed robber with his own concealed weapon.  (not exactly the same as what happened here but anyways).   Like I said, greg could ob kept his cool better and acted more profesional since apparantly in a way represents wotc/larry harris, but he does not deserve anywhere near this kind of flak that it is blown way out of proportion.

• @ghr2:

Well then, I just lost a little more hope for humanity today.� � When some people get away with BS and others get the shaft.� � Reminds me of that story recently where that cashier got fired for defending himself and other customers from an armed robber with his own concealed weapon.� � (not exactly the same as what happened herebut anyways).� � � Like I said, greg could ob kept hsi cool better and acted more profesional since he in a way represents wotc/larry harris, but he does not deserve anywhere near this kind of flak that it is blown way out of proportion.

you miss the point, a lot of the flak he is receiving is for what he did, he Attacked Garg first, garg attacked how the event was run, but Greg Attacked Garg personally first calling him names, and thats a straight up no no in my book since he is a rep, and his actions made both GenCon and WotC look bad, while Garg’s comments on his game play only made Garg look bad.

and don’t get me started about criminals, my belief is they try to rob me then they deserve to die, and if they brandish a weapon they will.

PS: also knowing this will age me, last time I attended Gen Con was Gen Con West for a couple of years(I was a big D&D fan).

• Isn’t garg an admin?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

LOL no.

Wow, Scarapis and Gargantua, I am utterly flabbergasted that you continue to misunderstand the necessity of tourney rules that are not “in the rulebook,” even after the reasons have been explained logically–and lengthily, I might add.  I can only conclude that either a) you have a distinct agenda against Greg and/or FTF A&A tourneys that deviate one iota from the box rules (really???), or b) you are immature–perhaps teenagers or younger, or c) you have mental health issues.  Seriously, that’s not a personal attack, that’s genuine bafflement and concern should a) and b) both be ruled out.

Bushido… help me out here…

No one has yet to “explain” at any length, why NO’s should be excluded.  And with that, I accepted a -truce- on the part of the Gencon boys.  After all, the promotion of A&A and tourney’s is something I totally support.

But now I’m mentally ill? and immature?

• @ghr2:

Isn’t garg an admin?

Something tells me Djensen would rather shut the site down then to make Garg a mod or something.  

not too mention if he was a type of Admin Greg would have violated the first rule of any forum:

As for an Agenda, I don’t have one,  other than to see players play the game they want to play it.

But if you’re going to call me names, and imply that I’m stupid, immature, incapable, mentally ill, etc.

Then I might as well stick to my guns that the tournament presentation is poor, based on, as far as I can tell… no more than stubborness and personal feelings.

• Then explain why does it matter that some people host a tournament by different rules than what other people play by?

• @ghr2:

Then explain why does it matter that some people host a tournament by different rules than what other people play by?

because I’ve never played this game before (only played the MB:GMS Axis and Allies) and would be reading the rules and would like to play by the rules, not have shortcuts tossed in willy nilly to the point it confuses the game for me a “new player”.

As a “new player” I want to learn the game rules(as written by the company), not some “other persons” rules.

• How do you get the impression that these are random willy nilly short cuts?

• Customizer

@smo63:

@jim010:

The only thing I wonder at, is why smorey seems so hostile?

+1

jim,

Why you ask, because, I am the one taking the brunt of the criticizm for the FTF tournament play at GEN CON and Origins.Â

And outside of Questioneer, I am not aware that anyone else that is commenting negatively has ever been to an event we put on.Â

Then for comments to be made like we are incompetent and we have no idea how to play AA, gets to you.Â

And not to mention, these guys are great at pushing ones buttons. I would call them names, but then they would just accuse me of attacking them first…

I just gets real old fast…

I can understand your frustration, but you are in a different position than those making the negative comments.  As an event organizer, or a creator of a game, you will always have criticism leveled at you - deserved or not.  Some will be relevent, but most won’t be.  How YOU react to the criticism is more important than those pushing your buttons.   Your reaction sets the tone for these events, not so much the naysayers.

Just some friendly advise, that’s all.  Keep your cool.

Personally, I’m fine with having these tournament rules.  Its been that way in the past as well, as I recall.  In the end, many play with some sort of house rule anyway, like bidding (which Larry seems to hate).

I will agree, though, that the players that test these games don’t quite play the same way as the online group.  They miss too much, where as in an online game, there is more time to explore in detail all possible moves backed up with an odds calculator.  The playtesters never envisioned the turn 3 India Crush, or Sealion in the current games.  It might be worth taking some advise from the online community

How do you get the impression that these are random willy nilly short cuts?

Because they are baseless determinations.

For Example… how and when was it decided that 1942 was more balanced than 1941?  Or that NO’s took “too much time” to calculate?  I agree that these guys play the game, and are -in their opinion- doing their best.  But when questioned, no evidence other than “We just decided” has been provided.

It goes so far as to acknowledge that the rules in the -first year- of the tournament, where everything was brand new, and not yet fully understood, have basically remained entirely the same, depsite years of now developed and understood gameplay.

Baseless determinations, lead to sweeping allegations. :P

Great post Jim.

• @ghr2:

How do you get the impression that these are random willy nilly short cuts?

Because they are not in the rulebook or in any game company errata which makes them non-legal, do you think WotC would allow GM’s running sanctioned Magic Tournements to change the rules to fit their timeline or beliefs? no they would not, cause then they would be considered non-sanctioned tournements, just like the A&A games Greg wants to run, sanctioned goes by the games rules, non-sanctioned goes by someone elses rules.

• How are these different from the normal rules then?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m