• [quote]
    oh thanks. and yea its that freaking karma thing again. Oh great scott!
    [/quote]

Oh, man. In some ways it’s actually worse.

I just went to one of my game threads and gave my buddy Battling Maxo a +1 on 15 posts.  He now has cumulative respect of +15. In a matter of minutes, you could give someone +100 or -100.  You couldn’t do that with karma.

Fix it, djensen! (Please) It ain’t gonna work the way it’s designed right now!

If a post in a game gets too many minuses, will it automatically disappear?  That would threaten the integrity of the Play Boardgames threads…… :|

• Customizer

DJ, you should remove that “respect” counter below everyone’s name.

Have the karma be per-post, and not per-person.

If anything, make it so that only admins and moderators can see people’s respect total.

reason: if you give people a counter of any kind, they will try to increase it.  You will quickly see people giving each other “respect points” purely to give each other points.  This serves no purpose, and distorts the original intent.

• I have 0! NOOO  :-0 just kidding

ok, so the “respect” if they have more they are more “respected”?

• '18

There you go Empireman, feel better about yourself.

• [quote author=FM7 link=topic=27511.msg969397#msg969397 date=1338890639]
    There you go Empireman, feel better about yourself.
    [/quote]
    I like this post :-D :wink:

+1  :-D

• [quote author=Imperious Leader link=topic=27511.msg969374#msg969374 date=1338879729]
    To me that means this is a running total thing where the respect + is cumulative. This is a real problem. The goal should be to be able to flag a post itself. Each case of that should not cause a cumulative running total. If the respect was only regulated to the actual post it might work. Whenever it becomes some overall impression of a poster, you are just alienating them into not posting and that was part of the karma problem.[/quote]

Agreed.  The idea of flagging problem posts has some merit, but the method that’s just been set up associates positive / negative ratings with each person, and these ratings show up in every single post they make. When people get negative ratings – whether deserved or not, but particularly when they’re not – this will annoy or alienate them.  So rather than flagging specific posts as being problematic, the respect feature will have the potential effect of flagging specific people as being problematic.  I don’t think this is a constructive approach.

• Right the thing should work without a numerical value or rating attached to it.

After X amount of flags, the post should disappear and the post count should reduce by the same. It should not be  ± type of thing. + does not lead to any consequence anyway so why have it?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Wow the Irony…

I made a post in this thread last night, and it’s been removed.

Not because of due process/voting either.

That said, what is the voting threshhold?  How many votes before a post disappears?

• [quote author=Imperious Leader link=topic=27511.msg969433#msg969433 date=1338901479]
    Right the thing should work without a numerical value or rating attached to it.

After X amount of flags, the post should disappear and the post count should reduce by the same. It should not be  ± type of thing. + does not lead to any consequence anyway so why have it?
    [/quote]

So if 90 people click + and 10 people click -, would you have it show as +80 or as -10?

Careful Vance, you wouldn’t want to test the validity of Common Sense.

• I’d prefer a system in which, after x number of negative flags, a post would be reported to a moderator for review and possible action.  If the system just automatically deletes a post once it has attracted x number of negative flags, we’d have too much potential for mob justice – people ganging up to trigger the automatic deletion of posts they don’t like, without oversight from a higher level.

• [quote author=Gargantua link=topic=27511.msg969488#msg969488 date=1338908596]
    Careful Vance, you wouldn’t want to test the validity of Common Sense.
    [/quote]

RESIST
    But don’t pick fights with moderators
    Be nice

:-)

• And on another note, THE QUOTES ARE NOT WORKING!!!  :-(

MOB Justice > MOD Justice at this stage. :)

And I’m being totally honest with Vance, I don’t expect any of these posts will be here long.

• Founder TripleA Admin

The post doesn’t get deleted, it’s just hidden. It can be made to re-appear, somehow.

@CWO:

I’d prefer a system in which, after x number of negative flags, a post would be reported to a moderator for review and possible action.  If the system just automatically deletes a post once it has attracted x number of negative flags, we’d have too much potential for mob justice – people ganging up to trigger the automatic deletion of posts they don’t like, without oversight from a higher level.

• Founder TripleA Admin

None of the BBCodes are working. The stupid BBCodes permission plugin, I think, is the problem. I’m looking into it.

@Gamerman01:

And on another note, THE QUOTES ARE NOT WORKING!!!  :-(

• Founder TripleA Admin

There are plenty of more modern forums/communities using this method effectively. Like I said before, ideally you would have to spend your own reputation to downvote something and maybe even provide a reason why.

Plus, you don’t know the threshold and I can change it at any time.

Finally, if something is really bad, report it to a moderator. I haven’t been seeing a lot of those emails lately. It used to be many times a week, now it’s only monthly.

@Gargantua:

MOB Justice > MOD Justice at this stage. :)

• Founder TripleA Admin

• is very important, it how a reputation system is built. Say something good, get a plus vote. You’re going to see that it is different than karma because in a sense you are telling the rest of the internet this post was good, not who posted it but what was said in the post. Karma you could game it just to give a person upvotes. Here, if somebody posts, “Give me votes!” then myself, all the moderators, and a bunch of users are going to downvote it. You’ll need a lot of friends to out number the masses.

With Karma, nobody knew how or why it was coming so the community could not balance it out and the number became meaningless.

And remember, eventually, your name will be associated with all the votes. It’s semi secret now but it will not continue to be so.

Finally, in the future, upvotes will not be the only gamification feature I use. Ideally, somebody, and only somebody, like Krieghund [sic] would have like 1,000,000 reputation and the rest of us (even me) would be 1 or 2 orders of magnitude below that. For instance, posting might give you reputation but voting might be worth more but if somebody has to delete, close, or merge your post, you lose it all maybe even lose reputation if the post is flagged as inappropriate.

@Vance:

@Imperious:

Right the thing should work without a numerical value or rating attached to it.

So if 90 people click + and 10 people click -, would you have it show as +80 or as -10?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m