• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Does anybody watch this show?

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/whale-wars/

A lady friend of mine has introduced me to it, and I didn’t watch more than 5 minutes of it, before I totally wanted to intervene, on the behalf of the Japanese, and defend thier right to whale hunt!

What a bunch of bleeding hearts terrorists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aspp1r0tS4

• I guess those hippies don’t care about the millions of planktons that are murdered every day by these whales so they can get fat.

Stop the Plankton hunt!

LOL…

• @Vance:

I guess those hippies don’t care about the millions of planktons that are murdered every day by these whales so they can get fat.  Â

I once saw a fake advertisement in a satirical newspaper which said, “Every day, countless innocent bales of hay are cruelly fed to ravenous cows.  This inhuman madness must stop!”

• I have watched the first 4 episodes of the first season (on netflix) and I can’t tell you how much I hate those guys!

@Gargantua:

I didn’t watch more than 5 minutes of it, before I totally wanted to intervene, on the behalf of the Japanese, and defend thier right to whale hunt!

I felt the exact same way! I was thinking what a bunch of guilt-tripping trust fund babies, trying to atone for their later sins, when they become oil exec’s as adults. I think we should to try to find a way to help the Japanese, liking setting up an anit-anit whaling campaign or something!

• @CWO:

@Vance:

I guess those hippies don’t care about the millions of planktons that are murdered every day by these whales so they can get fat.�  �

I once saw a fake advertisement in a satirical newspaper which said, “Every day, countless innocent bales of hay are cruelly fed to ravenous cows.  This inhuman madness must stop!”

Yes extermination of COWs would be a good thing too.  :-D

• '12

Closer to home, when does seal pup clubbing season begin again?  Save a cod, club a seal pup!

I participate in cow exterminations…well vicariously via my butcher anyways.  I also help dispose of the meat…GET IN MY BELLY!

• Whale blubber used to provide lamp light oils before petroleum was officially drilled in Pennsylvania.

Now,… Going for 21st century government-funded clean energy future…

Our plastic surgeons could, in theory, recycle their patient loads of belly fat blubber for our nations energy needs…  However, there is a bit of the eww factor for that.

Between the major energy players, I suspect that maybe BP’s beyond petroleum folks would be willing to invest in it.

• rolls eyes those hippies……lol

• What a bunch of assholes, I totally agree with you garg.

I respect your comments Zhukov, and every effort must be made in this thread to ensure no flame war ensues.

But I desperately want to challenge the position!

I agree poaching is wrong, and illegal.  But the Japanese research hunts, are legally recognized.

I am a hunter, and if you have legal permission to hunt whatever it is you want, including grizzly or polar bears, or whales, it’s not poaching. :)

Poaching also usually infers the negative context, that you are just taking 1 part of the animal and wasting it.  Clearly the Japanese are harvesting these animals ethically. :)

• 2024 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Japanese whaling research is nothing but a thinly veiled excuse. Their publication list is totally unimpressive, and almost everything they do have, is in Japanese. Any self-respecting scientific organization publishes their results in peer-reviewed international journals and in English.

Now whether or not it’s reasonable or legitimate for the Japanese to hunt whales is another question, but they shouldn’t be claiming it’s for “research.”

I don’t see Zhukov’s comment that you’re referring to btw……

• @Gargantua:

I agree poaching is wrong, and illegal.  But the Japanese research hunts, are legally recognized.

No they’re not.  Well, except for the Japanese.

I am a hunter, and if you have legal permission to hunt whatever it is you want, including grizzly or polar bears, or whales, it’s not poaching. :)

Poaching also usually infers the negative context, that you are just taking 1 part of the animal and wasting it.  Clearly the Japanese are harvesting these animals ethically. :)

It’s not about waste, it’s about eliminating an endangered species.  It’s not like there are whale farms out there to replenish stocks.

I’m far from a dirty sea hippie, but I believe in not wiping out a species just for some otaku’s fetish, even though I’d try some whale sushi if I could.  There’s no international enforcement group so that’s why these guys go out and try and protect whales.

Very few groups have been recognized to allow whaling and the Japanese aren’t one of them, so they pretend to do “research” while pretty much just harvesting what they can get from that.

it’s about eliminating an endangered species

1. If you do some research you will learn that they are NOT allowed to hunt whales that are endangered.

2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Whaling_Commission

The IWC is the body goverening whaling…

In 1982 the IWC adopted a moratorium on commercial whaling. Currently, Japan, The Russian Federation and a number of other nations oppose this moratorium. The IWC allows non-zero whaling quotas for aboriginal subsistence and also member nations may issue ‘Scientific Permits’ to their citizens. Japan has issued such permits since 1986, Norway and Iceland whale under objection to the moratorium and issue their own quotas. In 1994, the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary was created by the IWC.[3][4]

The main duty of the IWC is to keep under review and revise as necessary the measures laid down in the Schedule to the Convention which govern the conduct of whaling throughout the world. These measures, among other things, provide for the complete protection of certain species; designate specified areas as whale sanctuaries; set limits on the numbers and size of whales which may be taken; prescribe open and closed seasons and areas for whaling; and prohibit the capture of suckling calves and female whales accompanied by calves. The compilation of catch reports and other statistical and biological records is also required.[4]

In addition, the Commission encourages, co-ordinates and funds whale research, publishes the results of scientific research and promotes studies into related matters such as the humaneness of the killing operations

In short, Only certain species can be hunted per quota, there is legality in research hunting, and so it seems perhaps only some nordic countries shirk the IWC as poachers.

I also LOVE how Aboriginals in my country, are allowed to hunt whales, per the IWC. But of course I’m not allowed to because my skin is the wrong colour.  (But that’s a whole other issue, and lets not get political)

For the purpose of thier show, I wonder how come Sea Shepard isn’t declaring war on some of the tribes that hunt whales?  And sinking thier boats? (The tribesmen use anti-tank guns and sonar to hunt the whales)  I could support thier cause if they did that.

That said, should a television show be infringing on cultural rights to hunt?  I wonder…

Fascinating! :P

• '10

You guys need to watch the episode of South Park called “Whale Whores”

They explain the desire for the Japanese to kill whales and dolphins as revenge for Hiroshima. The US told the Japanese that a whale and a dolphin flew the Enola Gay and dropped the A-bomb. They have vowed revenge ever since, even using Kamikaze strikes on the whales and harpooning the Miami Dolphins.

Pretty funny stuff.

• @Vance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86KzMYbHZ0I

That was terrible.

• @Herr:

Japanese whaling research is nothing but a thinly veiled excuse…

Without watching any episodes.
    I think these particular Japanese research
    1.  Whale meat prices
    2.  How to pay the bills for a big research boat , crew, etc…
    3.  How to overcome the greenie nazis on the water while you are researching 1 and 2.

• OK, I sit here and read these posts and see that this whole conversation is one sided.  i watch the show on a regular basis, and in fact I DVR it.  We as a society need groups like this,  taking the fight to them in what ever extreme that is necessary.  Mr Paul Watson the founder and main Captain of Sea Sheppard  was actually one of the founding fathers of Green peace  but was later kicked out for his aggressive tactics in dealing with these poachers.  and I for one think i may join Sea Sheppard.  If anything just to watch these morons up close and personal.  :-D

:?
    For those of you who have trouble understanding this  it was total sarcasm  but i do enjoy watching to see what they do next in there efforts to earn the coveted Darwin Award.

• Until the Sea Sheppard starts targeting the Japanese fleet with actually missles and gun fire, i choose not to watch. That would make for great ratings, then the next week have the Japanese Navy sink the Sheppard.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m