• Maybe could a moderator please put this thread as sticky? Thank you

• @Hobbes:

Maybe could a moderator please put this thread as sticky? Thank you

Hope i did it right

• @Yavid:

@Hobbes:

Maybe could a moderator please put this thread as sticky? Thank you

Hope i did it right

I’ll report the one you just wrote if no one notices. ;)

• ok done. But know we got two threads like this…

• this one is in player help the other one is in the wrong place.

• @Imperious:

ok done. But know we got two threads like this…

Thanks IL. I think the other one was in a specific game subforum it wasn’t easy to find but Yavid’s seems more complete. Maybe we could just compile all info on one of them.

• @Hobbes:

@Imperious:

ok done. But know we got two threads like this…

Thanks IL. I think the other one was in a specific game subforum it wasn’t easy to find but Yavid’s seems more complete. Maybe we could just compile all info on one of them.

When I did my list I started with the info on the other list. Aside from the stuff in there that’s short-hand I should have it all already.

• For the record, “SS” for submarine is fine because it means ‘Sub-Surface.’  (Served aboard SSN 772 for 4.5 years)
    ‘SSN’ = Sub-Surface Nuclear

• '18 '17 '16

another one I hit on:

DOW - Declaration of war

I recommend someone to update the acronym list. Additionally, it would be more convenient to have only one ACL (:-D acronym list) and not two or more threads, which you have to read through, when you are searching for an abbreviation. JLuna1273’s exel-sheet for finding players is a good example for to set up an acronym list.

• I added DOW, What else do you see needs updating? and Where do I find this other list you’re speaking of?

• '18 '17 '16

I do not mean a second list but two threads to search in. When I was searching for DOW I screened both threads, just to find out that no one knows. I would have been easier, to peruse only one list. No offending, I appreciate the work you have done, its just that two threads are a little bit distracting. An updated list at the very beginning in a thread which is indicated as “relevant and complete” would be most helpful.

• I’ve been updating it as I find one that has been missed. I made this list because I couldn’t find the other one. DOW is now on the list on the first page.

• TUV = Total Unit Value

It took me several minutes to find that.

• Customizer

Someone on the Forum gave a reason for the naval acronyms. Unfortunately, I don’t remember who it was or what thread it was in.
    CV = Aircraft Carrier because they were originally called “Carrier Voler”. The “V” letter designation for heavier-than-air craft comes from the French verb voler (to fly). The CV designation originally derived from cruisers because aircraft carriers were seen as an extension of the sea control and denial role of cruisers.
    Why they chose to use a French verb in the designation is beyond me.

I got this information from Wikipedia on a page titled “Hull Classification Symbol”. It has a lot of information about the designations of all different types of ships and when they started using them, but I didn’t really see the reasoning behind the designations (like BB for Battleship, DD for Destroyer, etc.). Or if there was an actual explanation, I apparently didn’t understand it.

• @knp7765:

CV = Aircraft Carrier because they were originally called “Carrier Voler”. The “V” letter designation for heavier-than-air craft comes from the French verb voler (to fly). The CV designation originally derived from cruisers because aircraft carriers were seen as an extension of the sea control and denial role of cruisers.
    Why they chose to use a French verb in the designation is beyond me.

The story version I heard is that the V comes from the second letter in “aviation”, which was used because “CA” was already taken to designate a certain broad category of cruiser.  As knp notes, carriers were conceived as an extension of the cruiser role, hence the designation “Cruiser, Aviation”.  Bu I have no idea if this alternate explanation of the “V” is true.  I once heard a Marine claim that V stood for “vixed wing aircraft”, but that theory sounds a bit too imaginative to me.

• Huh, I always assumed CV was just for “Carrier Vessel”. You learn something new each day.

• What is a CC?

• '17 '16

@ODF:

What is a CC?

Closed Captioned…  :?  :lol:

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m