• Sponsor

That’s gold Gerry, gold!

• @Young:

So there is no intellectual property patent for the Axis and Allies franchise? I find that hard to believe.

Patents are issued for 20 years under US law, the first edition of Axis & Allies was released on 1981. If it existed (remember that to apply for a patent you need to prove the novelty of your invention), it expired more than a decade ago. Any patent afterwards would have to be issued for a novel game system, something that clearly does not apply since the game system remains the same from Classic to Global, regardless of having NOs, new units, etc. The only games that might apply would be Guadalcanal, Bulge or D-Day, but I don’t think there’s much novelty between their systems and other games outside A&A.

You’re welcome to go through the US Patent Office (http://patft.uspto.gov/) and find any patents given to Hasbro for the Axis & Allies games. I couldn’t find any. The trademark for the Axis & Allies brand can be found though, dated February 11, 1985 (the first trademark must have been for Axis and Allies)

• Customizer

Ahem.

I don’t have time to go and quote the relevant sections of the patent and trademark and copyright laws right now, but I’ll put it to everyone straight.

1. You may not copyright/trademark/patent a “game”, or a “way of playing a game”.  This means that the “rules” we all use to play A&A (stuff like movement, what the dice do, casualty selection, everything, etc etc) can not be protected in any way.

2. You may not copyright/trademark/patent generic terms.

3. You may copyright/trademark the artistic elements, and the full name of the game.  This means that the art, the look and feel, the design of the logo, and the full name, are all protected.

Simply put, so long as TripleA does not claim to be “A&A”, does not use the full name of “A&A”, and does not directly copy and paste the art of A&A, then there is nothing TripleA is doing that is infringing on Hasbro’s A&A.

• TripleA '12

Simply put, so long as TripleA does not claim to be “A&A”, does not use the full name of “A&A”, and does not directly copy and paste the art of A&A, then there is nothing TripleA is doing that is infringing on Hasbro’s A&A.

I like the sound of that!  :-)

Veqryn, what are your grand dreams/desires (if any) for TripleA? Do you envision maybe eventually selling it to a big video games publisher like Activision or SEGA or something like that? I mean, you could do it couldn’t you? And then maybe they could approach Hasbro/WOTC for the full-on licence/rights to call it Axis & Allies (supposing they do indeed hold patents etc). Would that be cool?

• TripleA

lol wut? maybe sell it to hasbro, because their website/flash revised game totally sucks.

• @Lozmoid:

I like the sound of that!  :-)

Veqryn, what are your grand dreams/desires (if any) for TripleA? Do you envision maybe eventually selling it to a big video games publisher like Activision or SEGA or something like that? I mean, you could do it couldn’t you? And then maybe they could approach Hasbro/WOTC for the full-on licence/rights to call it Axis & Allies (supposing they do indeed hold patents etc). Would that be cool?

This is exactly what I was saying but it’s better to heard from a developer itself, thanks Veqryn

• @Cow:

lol wut? maybe sell it to hasbro, because their website/flash revised game totally sucks.

The old (5, 6 years ago?) Revised game sucked. The new Spring 1942 game (which I have been) playing is good (in aircraft movement is better than TripleA actually).

• '15

You didn’t like Revised?  I loved that game.  It was such an improvement over the original in my opinion.  But then, I never played AA50 or '42.  I kinda missed those - by the time I came back to the game, Global was out, and I always go for the most complex option.

• @Shin:

You didn’t like Revised?  I loved that game.  It was such an improvement over the original in my opinion.  But then, I never played AA50 or '42.  I kinda missed those - by the time I came back to the game, Global was out, and I always go for the most complex option.

I don’t get me wrong, I loved Revised until the day Spring 1942 came out. :)

I was talking about the online version of Revised that GTO had about 5 years ago - it was not a good experience back then.

• TripleA

revised > v4. For that map transport defending themselves makes perfect sense.

also tripa has other games, like big world, nwo, napoleonic wars, etc etc etc etc.

anyway, rules in pdf form, would be really nice.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m