XPAD-01 Bunnies P Wrath + Vold (Axis) vs JeffM + RGP44 (Allies)

• '13

you mean from the fleet?  Gib was unoccupied and (testing my very shady memory here, no map atm) I don’t recall it having an airbase to scramble from - it didn’t come up as an option.

Let me know if it needs to be pulled back.

• '12

Vold,

What RGP was asking about is the air base on Morocco.  Being that combat occurred in sz 92, I assumed that it would ask for a scramble decision to send 3 planes to defend the sea zone.

If the game did not give you the option at all then don’t worry about it… we will continue without the scramble.  If it did ask, I would prefer to go ahead and scramble to try and defend against the Gibraltar invasion.

Jeff

• '13

There was no combat in sz92, the only battle was sz112

• '15

there doesn’t have to be combat in the sea zone, an amphibious landing can be scrambled against unless they have changed that rule in the last month, see:

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=26858.0

• '15

It flagged my last post as spam for linking to a posting from this very site!  Anyway, if you search “scramble” on the site you’ll see a discussion about the Novgorod sea zone that covers this topic.  Planes can scramble against an amphibious invasion even if there are no ships in the sz, if it did not offer you the scramble option then this is a glitch we should report to whoever is editing the game

• '13

Here’s the relevant excerpt from the rules:

They can also be scrambled to resist
    amphibious assaults from adjacent sea
    zones, whether or not the territory being
    assaulted is the territory containing the air
    base. They may defend against the enemy
    ships conducting the amphibious assault
    even if friendly ships are not present.

I can see how it could be interpreted this way, but I need to wrap my head around how an airbase in Morocco can scramble on a landing in Gib on a sea zone that is already controlled by Axis.  I can see it happening for a neighboring territory, one across the water doesn’t make much sense to me, especially when I had control of the zone.

In that same vein, I should have been entitled to a scramble in sz112 had I had a plane in W.Ger capable of doing so (I may have, I don’t have my map atm), yes?

But, rules are rules regardless of if they are coded into TripleA or if I agree with the interpretation :)

In any event, I would like for Garg to weigh in with a verdict before rolling it back.  Not to be petty or because it will make any big difference in the outcome, but so we have a definitive rule clarification going forward for this and future games in the tourney - and it’ll get some more visibility to get it coded into the next TripleA/map version.

We’re all learning here :)

V

• '15

On the US to Norway move you only had 2 HBs in WG, there were no fighters or tac bombers to scramble, go ahead and run it by Garg but i’ve seen him state this rule on the boards as well so i know he is going to confirm the scramble order.

• '15

i ran through the turn and TripleA does not query for scramble orders in this instance, bug that needs to be fixed

• '13

now that I can see my map you are right on W.Ger - I suspected as much because I had staged my fighters out of Paris.  However, now I know for next time.

How can a scramble be initiated in TripleA?  It’s not letting me add land units (apparently it classifies fighters as land units) to water.

• '15

Not sure how to do that, but if you see the dice i just rolled we can use that and just run the combat “manually” and then edit the results.  You just roll your 3 dice in order DD, Ftg, Ftg; i’ll take casualties, then i’ll roll my three dice all fighters so no order necessary and you’ll take your casualties and so on.  You just need to be in some version of our game, doesn’t need to be the current one and use the “roll dice” option under the “game” menu.  Remember you are attacking so the carrier doesn’t get a roll and your fighters are at 3 and ours are at 4.  If you would rather withdraw the attack because you didn’t know about the scramble feel free to re-do the Italian turn since there was no other combat.

rgp44

• '13

Sounds like a plan.  I’m going to do the same move with one adjustment in light of the rule clarification, not your scramble - I’ll bring the bomber along instead of sending it to 112.

Rolls will be in order of 1b(4), 2f(3), 1d(2) (sub and cv are not combatants in the fight).

I’ll let you roll for the scrambled planes

V

• '13

1,6,3,2 - 3 hits.

• '15

wow, back up if you’re bringing the bomber we don’t want to scramble because then its 12-12 and you have 6 hits and we have 3.

• '15

whoa that should read, if you’re doing that you need to run the turn without the scramble.

• '13

TripleA Turn Summary for game: World War II Global 1940 Alpha 3, version: 2.8

Game History

Round :8

Purchase Units - Italians
                Italians buy 1 infantry and 2 submarines; Remaining resources: 0 PUs;

Combat Move - Italians
                Giving bonus movement to units
                2 artilleries and 2 infantry moved from Southern Italy to 95 Sea Zone
                1 fighter moved from Southern Italy to 92 Sea Zone
                2 artilleries, 1 carrier, 1 fighter, 2 infantry, 1 submarine and 2 transports moved from 95 Sea Zone to 92 Sea Zone
                2 artilleries and 2 infantry moved from 92 Sea Zone to Gibraltar
                      Italians take Gibraltar from British

Combat - Italians
                Recording Battle Statistics

Non Combat Move - Italians

Place Units - Italians
                1 infantry placed in Southern Italy
                2 submarines placed in 95 Sea Zone

Turn Complete - Italians
                Italians collect 9 PUs; end with 9 PUs total
                Objective Italians 2 Roman Empire: Italians met a national objective for an additional 5 PUs; end with 14 PUs
                Objective Italians 1 Control The Mediterranean: Italians met a national objective for an additional 5 PUs; end with 19 PUs

Territory Summary for Italians :

Gibraltar : 1 flag, 2 artilleries, 1 harbour and 2 infantry
        Tobruk : 1 artillery
        Northern Italy : 2 aaGuns, 1 factory_major and 1 infantry
        Southern Italy : 2 aaGuns, 1 airfield, 1 bomber, 1 factory_minor, 1 harbour and 1 infantry
        95 Sea Zone : 2 submarines
        92 Sea Zone : 1 carrier, 1 destroyer, 2 fighters, 1 submarine and 2 transports

Production/PUs Summary :

Germans : 43 / 51
        Russians : 31 / 34
        Japanese : 43 / 46
        Americans : 62 / 80
        Chinese : 5 / 4
        British : 33 / 57
        UK_Pacific : 17 / 14
        Italians : 9 / 19
        ANZAC : 17 / 23
        French : 5 / 0
        Dutch : 0 / 0
        Mongolians : 0 / 0
        Neutral_Axis : 0 / 0
        Neutral_Allies : 0 / 0
        Neutral_True : 18 / 0

• '13

OK, I should have ran that change past you.  done again without the scramble and sz112 combat

• '12

RGP/ Vold,

I agree with RGP that if the bomber is brought into the mix that the odds are heavily against scrambling.

The problem, is that when Vold did his initial attack, he did not know that the fighters could scramble from Morocco, and did not bring the bomber (no reason to).  In that situation, it would have been advantageous for us to send the fighters into the sea zone.

Now that we have the rule clarification, and Vold knows that the fighters can scramble, it makes sense for him to bring the bomber.  In this situation, it does not make sense for us to scramble.

Given that Vold has the option of bringing the bomber, lets just stick with the results from Italy’s initial turn (Vold invades Gibraltar, no scramble).  Is that good with everyone?

Jeff

• '15

The difference is that the attacker must make all moves first and scramble decision  comes after, it forces the attacker to deploy forces against a possible scramble even if there isn’t one thereby preventing them from attacking elsewhere on the same turn.  In the original move the bomber was used to sink the US transports off Norway, so it is incorrect for the bomber to be able to deter our scramble and sink the transports.  Haven’t looked yet but i believe this was not done in the revised turn which would be correct

• '15

Game History

Purchase Units - ANZAC
                ANZAC buy 1 artillery, 1 factory_minor and 1 transport; Remaining resources: 0 PUs;

Combat Move - ANZAC
                1 infantry moved from Queensland to 54 Sea Zone
                1 infantry and 1 transport moved from 54 Sea Zone to 37 Sea Zone
                1 infantry moved from 37 Sea Zone to Malaya
                      UK_Pacific take Malaya from Japanese
                1 destroyer moved from 54 Sea Zone to 42 Sea Zone
                2 fighters moved from 54 Sea Zone to 42 Sea Zone
                1 fighter moved from Queensland to 42 Sea Zone

Combat - ANZAC
                Battle in 42 Sea Zone
                    ANZAC attack with 1 destroyer and 3 fighters
                    Japanese defend with 1 submarine
                        Japanese roll dice for 1 submarine in 42 Sea Zone, round 1 :  0/1 hits
                        ANZAC roll dice for 1 destroyer and 3 fighters in 42 Sea Zone, round 1 :  3/4 hits
                        1 submarine owned by the Japanese lost in 42 Sea Zone
                    ANZAC win, taking 42 Sea Zone from Japanese with 1 destroyer and 3 fighters remaining. Battle score for attacker is 6
                    Casualties for Japanese: 1 submarine
                    ANZAC win with 1 destroyer and 3 fighters remaining. Battle score for attacker is 6
                    Casualties for Japanese: 1 submarine
                Recording Battle Statistics

Non Combat Move - ANZAC
                1 carrier and 1 fighter moved from 62 Sea Zone to 54 Sea Zone
                1 transport moved from 62 Sea Zone to 54 Sea Zone
                3 fighters moved from 42 Sea Zone to 54 Sea Zone

Place Units - ANZAC
                1 factory_minor placed in Queensland
                1 transport placed in 62 Sea Zone
                1 artillery placed in New South Wales

Turn Complete - ANZAC
                ANZAC collect 17 PUs; end with 17 PUs total
                Trigger ANZAC 1 Control Original And Malaya: ANZAC met a national objective for an additional 5 PUs; end with 22 PUs
                Objective ANZAC 2 Control Strategic Islands: ANZAC met a national objective for an additional 5 PUs; end with 27 PUs

Territory Summary for ANZAC :

Malaya : 1 infantry
        Queensland : 1 aaGun, 1 airfield, 1 artillery, 1 factory_minor, 1 harbour and 2 infantry
        New Zealand : 1 airfield and 1 harbour
        New South Wales : 1 aaGun, 1 artillery, 1 factory_minor, 1 harbour and 2 infantry
        New Guinea : 1 infantry
        Celebes : 1 flag, 1 infantry
        Java : 1 flag, 1 artillery
        Dutch New Guinea : 1 flag,

• '15

Game History

Combat Move - French

Non Combat Move - French

Turn Complete - French

Territory Summary for French :

United Kingdom : 2 infantry
        81 Sea Zone : 1 destroyer
        91 Sea Zone : 1 cruiser, 1 destroyer and 1 fighter

Production/PUs Summary :

Germans : 43 / 51