• Hi guys, I’m pretty new to A&A and I’ve got a query about the India Crush strat (yes I’ve searched the forum already but can’t seem to find anything):

Isn’t it really obvious to the UK player that your target is Calcutta? The second your fleet arrives at Hainan (with the new NB put down there) he’s set up a ship blockade so you then have to attack India on J3 after moving to the adjacent sea zone in J2. If you do this though, UK will just fill India with infantry and create a nut you’ll never crack.

Does the strategy rely on the UK not realising what you’re up to? Or is it that you just switch strategy to take the spice islands when he realises?

Thanks for the advice, chaps

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Everyone knows.  And most of the time there is nothing they can do about it, that’s the point of the crush.

The UK can build infantry to a point, but as soon as you have Borneo, malaya, and 2 subs off their coast, they don’t make enough to even place anymore infantry.

• So could you outline in brief the moves Japan would have to play to pull it off, please?

• '16 '15 '10

@Paksos:

Hi guys, I’m pretty new to A&A and I’ve got a query about the India Crush strat (yes I’ve searched the forum already but can’t seem to find anything):

Isn’t it really obvious to the UK player that your target is Calcutta? The second your fleet arrives at Hainan (with the new NB put down there) he’s set up a ship blockade so you then have to attack India on J3 after moving to the adjacent sea zone in J2. If you do this though, UK will just fill India with infantry and create a nut you’ll never crack.

Does the strategy rely on the UK not realising what you’re up to? Or is it that you just switch strategy to take the spice islands when he realises?

Thanks for the advice, chaps

Japan declares on J2 (or J1) and kills all Allied naval units that could block.  If there are still enemy units in 39, then Japan uses naval units to hold sz 37 and either sz 38 or sz 41 (eg they hold the attack route).  They place an AB and NB in Kwangsi J2 and get everything in range.

Allies can stop it by being conservative and getting every possible unit to Calcutta.

• Also on J2 you have to take shan state or yunnan as a landing spot.

Does anyone SBR calcutta J2?

• How do you hold Yunnan against the 6 inf and 1 fighter counter attack though?

• '17

I have SBR’d Calcutta J2, but it wasn’t that useful.

If you don’t lose a strat to aa fire, then you will probably reduce Calcutta’s final defensive force by one unit.
    If you do lose a strat to aa fire, then it probably won’t reduce Calcutta’s final defensive force at all.

Either way, you will probably regret having the facility damaged because you may wish to mobilize units in Calcutta.

• @Paksos:

How do you hold Yunnan against the 6 inf and 1 fighter counter attack though?

Some have suggested that in addition to taking yunnan, you also hit the Chinese stack (usually in szechwan) with all the air units from kwangsi to make sure they can’t retake yunnan.  That takes nerves of steel though becuase you are sending a lot of exensive planes against those infantry!

You can probably take Shan state J2 and hold it if they haven’t stacked Burma.  Again, some folks recommend hitting that infanry stack with an airstrike if they put them there.  Either way you will have some air losses but you have lots of planes.

Perhaps a less glamourous way to go about it would be to take and HOLD yunnan or shan on J3 and put off taking India til J4.  It keeps USA out of the war for another turn but it does give India an extra turn to build infantry.

Thanks Wheatbeer, that’s what was thinking: you do some damage with the SBR but its too risky for small benefit.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Even if India has blockers in place,  you can just airstrafe them, killing them, and then NCM your fleet to where you want it to be.

• I’ve found India falls 100% on R6-7 and you only loose planes to AA guns for Japan with 5-10 ground left over. Don’t know why you would want to Spend all that money to kill UK right away when you loose so many planes and 30 in air and naval base, but I could be totally wrong.

• TripleA

J1 or J2 DOW is recommended.

• Cheers guys. I’m wondering if the best approach then is to DoW on J2 and hit Malaya, Kwangtung and the spice islands (spec Borneo) in one blitz to hopefully bring India down to about 7IPC income and force them to turtle for a bit while I clear the Chinese out of Yunnan and Szechuan before turning everying south to take them from the land and sea combined?

• Sounds perfect Paksos. Time is on your time for Japan, at least for 7-8 turns you should be able to stop America from running amuk in pacific. With your outline here, and a few subs off india, UK Pacific should make 3 dollars for the rest of the game, until you take him out.

• TripleA

If you are really intent on taking india, you can do my japan 1 opener.

• What’s that, Cow? And if it includes a J1 DoW then doesn’t that shaft Germany in Europe by sending the US economy sky rocketing and allowing Operation Torch on US3?

• TripleA

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=26960.0

it is right below this topic (3 spaces down or something). USA economy just goes up by 23 a round sooner (but he lost dd and sub to kill nothing and that has to get reinvested, also the fighter but that kills a couple inf on average, he has to reinvest something into the pacific or he can just let japan win).

Anyway Japan in J1 DOW as far as income goes, makes the same amount as not going to war, but steals borneo and kwangtung from uk pac and phil from usa. Picks up free kills.

I am more concerned about usa buying 4 bombers, moving fighter to iceland, uk1 inf and minor complex on egypt, knowing usa will guard him in the event of sea lion g3… germany can always do a  g4 takeover of london if you really want to take london. Usually germany goes barb anyway.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m