History's Best Elite Fighting Force

• We got some good responses.

• One word  that makes an enemies blood run cold; Gurkha  :-)

• Gideon
    • Spartans
    • Praetorian Guard
    • 5. SS-Panzer-Division „Wiking“
    • Division Brandenburg
    • GSG9
    • Russian Spetsnaz GRU
    • Mossad
    • Légion étrangère    French Foreign Legion
    • U.S. Navy Seals
    • U.S. Rangers

…there would be a few more

• I always admired the British paratroopers under (Col.?) Frost covering the last bridge in Operation Market Garden.  I think it was the 6th Airborne, maybe at Neijmegen (sp, for sure)?

The book A Bridge Too Far recounts very well what they went through.

• Actually I think that was Arnhem.  It’s been a while since I thought of that stuff.

Arnhem! My favorite battle of World War II.

GG

• @Noll:

Mongolian Horse-Archers
    They were trained to shoot while raiding a horse, they were very precise (They were shooting only in that half a second when the horse’s legs are not touching the ground), and they had a very hard and strong bow that pierced through heavy plates like a gun through butter.

In Richard Armour’s satirical history of warfare, he states (as I recall) that Atilla the Hun’s cavalrymen used formidable double-handed battle axes which could split in two an enemy rider and his horse, but that sometimes the Huns would get lazy and use their axes one-handed, with the result that the enemy rider would be split in two while his horse would escape with only a slight nick on its back.

• @CWO:

@Noll:

Mongolian Horse-Archers
    They were trained to shoot while raiding a horse, they were very precise (They were shooting only in that half a second when the horse’s legs are not touching the ground), and they had a very hard and strong bow that pierced through heavy plates like a gun through butter.

In Richard Armour’s satirical history of warfare, he states (as I recall) that Atilla the Hun’s cavalrymen used formidable double-handed battle axes which could split in two an enemy rider and his horse, but that sometimes the Huns would get lazy and use their axes one-handed, with the result that the enemy rider would be split in two while his horse would escape with only a slight nick on its back.

ouch

• Task Force 141!!!
    from call of duty

• GO TASK FORCE 141!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m