• TripleA

I never lose france or west germany without a pacific win. I don’t know what you are talking about. Transports do not defend themselves and you need naval to guard it, too much investment into atlantic for usa to get the cole train ready.

I am not comparing anything, I am just telling you what kind of play style I prefer. Give me greater than 50% odds and I’ll gamble.

USA has an easier time doing early pacific than waiting till later, germany’s full income goes toward russia rounds 1-5 before you have much of an impact on europe, unless you want to get sunk.

Even if I J1 DOW. Bring it. Many have tried. Full atlantic is the only thing that does not work for usa in global, except when japan DOW round 3 or something then yeah you can full atlantic till round 4. Who the hell waits that long and lets uk pac and anzac bank that hard?

May as well just play EUROPE 1940, if you aren’t going to go to war with japan.

• Who says US needs to make an impact on Europe til round 5 anyway.  The moment you attack G1/G2 and I know you go Barbarossa, I build to take Africa, MidEast and rebuild navy in Atlantic.  Britain can stand on its own IF you are throwing everything at Russia.  You’re right transports need to be defended from what??? Aircraft.  If your dedicating aircraft to stall the Brits from landing then that aircraft not used on the Eastern Front.  I’ll trade ships and aircraft with you all day, cause that means you won’t have the firepower to take Moscow when needed.  Russia can match you tank for tank and beat you in building infantry.  Russia, India, ANZAC, US, China can coordinate easily to sack Japan by round 5-6.

I never go full throttle on anything with US.  Its always a balance depending how the Axis open.  Out of all the gambits you have presented, I like the G2/J2 combo- I think that is playable, but not unstoppable like you seem to claim it is. :roll:

Saying the Axis have the advantage in this game presumptuous.  I’ve seen a G1 and G2 already with the Russian crush, but in your layouts of these strats you ignore many counters.  If Allies are played with great coodination, they win out most of the time- period.

• TripleA

it is not an assumption, you merely have to tally up axis wins and allies wins across games.

Slight favorite is not unstoppable. Also I seldom see allies win low luck global games without a bid, like once in a blue moon.

Also if you delete all ICs airbases and naval bases at the end of round 1, the total unit value between axis and allies is about even, allies just have an income advantage, but they are out of position.

At some point you have to match japan’s income with usa, unless you are doing the whole usa gets the carriers anzac gets the fighters… but there is a trick to beating that.

Also germany can’t wait past round 10 for russia. +19 from african NOs for russia means he will always make 10 inf, you get good odds rounds 7-9. buy tanks off minors and bombers off germany/west germany. blam hit it.

split income means split chances for axis to win europe VCs and pacific VCs. I am sorry but Japan comes through when germany can’t and vice versa in most games.

also usually germany doesn’t sink uk naval just presents the threat of doing so, sure if you got 5 transports and you give germany 75%+ he’ll sink it.

axis 55% win for dice games. 70% LL.

• @Cow:

it is not an assumption, you merely have to tally up axis wins and allies wins across games.

Slight favorite is not unstoppable. Also I seldom see allies win low luck global games without a bid, like once in a blue moon.

Also if you delete all ICs airbases and naval bases at the end of round 1, the total unit value between axis and allies is about even, allies just have an income advantage, but they are out of position.

Way to early to tally up anything, Final Alpha has only been out for like 2 months, way too much overreacting.  I think you have to give G40 Final Alpha a year of play first, then start tallying up the wins for Axis and Allies.  Early stats hold very little weight b/c many players are playing with a new ruleset/setup and many mistakes by everyone.

Again, you are comparing apples to oranges again.  I’ve played lowluck a few times too.  Playing lowluck is is completely different than regular b/c entering battles you know what the outcome will be and what units will be left- changes strategy quite a bit- very bad comparison.

Interesting delete ICs/bases thought.  I think the game was meant to be started that way.  Again, doesn’t prove anything- strike 3.

• TripleA

it does prove something, you are looking at hard unit total value.

If you play both sides, you should know the problems allies have.

This is the wrong thread for this topic. Also axis react easier to allies than the other way around, axis have the advantage of positioning and centralized power.

Because of the russian NO from africa, there is no waiting for axis, it is a race and usa is far away.
    ~

1. more people prefer axis according to polls 2) axis win more games 3) experienced players agree the axis has the edge 4) LL players went from 0 bid to a small bid for allies 5) I included games germany lost round 1 because of the 1% chance france has to defend so the tally changes if you include those games or not, but I do because those are allies wins however lackluster they may be.

Two months is plenty of games for people to get in. Forum games take longer so there is more waiting involved, but not live games. Actually the game been out 3 months. 1-3 games a week. I did not include my games for these, I only lost three games with axis out of 10 and allies i lost when germ went barb instead of london, then I picked up more wins exploiting Russia’s NO off italy africa and doing egypt minor to convoy 97, when most of my money goes to the pacific, I tend to win. When I split income, it depends on how the dice goes on russia and japan’s naval. Two cracks at the game is not good.

yet to lose ll game as axis. Allies is lame to play for low luck, you have to follow a set strategy to win. you always calculating if germany buys all bombers can he take russia next round if answer is yes fly more air to russia if answer is no russia is fine.

• @Cow:

it does prove something, you are looking at hard unit total value.

If you play both sides, you should know the problems allies have.

This is the wrong thread for this topic. Also axis react easier to allies than the other way around, axis have the advantage of positioning and centralized power.

Because of the russian NO from africa, there is no waiting for axis, it is a race and usa is far away.
    ~

1. more people prefer axis according to polls 2) axis win more games 3) experienced players agree the axis has the edge 4) LL players went from 0 bid to a small bid for allies 5) I included games germany lost round 1 because of the 1% chance france has to defend so the tally changes if you include those games or not, but I do because those are allies wins however lackluster they may be.

Two months is plenty of games for people to get in. Forum games take longer so there is more waiting involved, but not live games. Actually the game been out 3 months. 1-3 games a week. I did not include my games for these, I only lost three games with axis out of 10 and allies i lost when germ went barb instead of london, then I picked up more wins exploiting Russia’s NO off italy africa and doing egypt minor to convoy 97, when most of my money goes to the pacific, I tend to win.

Again, you ignore my post addressing the issue, you are wrong on all counts- doesn’t prove thing- pure opinion.  I’ll post it again for you.

• @questioneer:

@Cow:

Way to early to tally up anything, Final Alpha has only been out for like 2 months, way too much overreacting.  I think you have to give G40 Final Alpha a year of play first, then start tallying up the wins for Axis and Allies.  Early stats hold very little weight b/c many players are playing with a new ruleset/setup and many mistakes by everyone.

Again, you are comparing apples to oranges again.  I’ve played lowluck a few times too.  Playing lowluck is is completely different than regular b/c entering battles you know what the outcome will be and what units will be left- changes strategy quite a bit- very bad comparison.

Interesting delete ICs/bases thought.  I think the game was meant to be started that way.  Again, doesn’t prove anything- strike 3.

• TripleA

you are silly, i am done talking to you. whoever you are playing needs to play axis better. join garg’s tournament or hush.

• Already there buddy.  Whoever you are playing against as Allies sucks.

You don’t want to talk b/c you are afraid to play my me.  You’re a fraud.

Back up your claims- fire up a game or “hush”.

• TripleA

If we pair, I don’t care what the dice says, you be allies or you be coward.

• Oh, what’s wrong can’t play both sides of the board???  Whose the coward.

Fire up a real game- chicken.  You vs. Me- solo.  I don’t want you hiding behind your partners, blaming them when you lose.  Your willing to do Garg’s tourny PBF yet you told me you “didn’t have time”.

I smell blood- you’re weak- fresh meat. :evil:

• @Cow:

Vance Japan goes before USA. Japan is usually busy with dutch islands/calcutta on that round. USA don’t need to fly jack in, russia can just hold it (japan usually out of range with air as well).

Japan can’t go south and be north at the same time.
    ~

Japan deals with them later, like way later. There is not much income up there. just 3 korea and 3 manch, sure you can go further south, but then you are in range of the full might of japan… you don’t want to do that usually.

What I was getting at is not the issue of Japan killing off the Russians; if Japan ignores the Russians the Americans can land a bunch of fighters on Korea with the protection of the Russians (unless Japan hasn’t declared war by round 3 which is unlikely).  By USA5 those fighters can be defending Moscow.  Ignoring the Russians leaves a big hole for the allies to get those fighters to Moscow and America can afford to replace them so its a huge plus for the allies.  So the question I have is, how does Japan kill the Russians on J2 (in Amur) or J3 (in Korea) AND also do the India crush?

• @Vance:

@Cow:

Vance Japan goes before USA. Japan is usually busy with dutch islands/calcutta on that round. USA don’t need to fly jack in, russia can just hold it (japan usually out of range with air as well).

Japan can’t go south and be north at the same time.
    ~

Japan deals with them later, like way later. There is not much income up there. just 3 korea and 3 manch, sure you can go further south, but then you are in range of the full might of japan… you don’t want to do that usually.

What I was getting at is not the issue of Japan killing off the Russians; if Japan ignores the Russians the Americans can land a bunch of fighters on Korea with the protection of the Russians (unless Japan hasn’t declared war by round 3 which is unlikely).  By USA5 those fighters can be defending Moscow.  Ignoring the Russians leaves a big hole for the allies to get those fighters to Moscow and America can afford to replace them so its a huge plus for the allies.  So the question I have is, how does Japan kill the Russians on J2 (in Amur) or J3 (in Korea) AND also do the India crush?

If USA is sending all that planes to Moscow, Japan would probably have an easy time in the seas.

• Yes that is true, so would it be better for Japan to leave the Russians alone and hope that the allies send those planes to Russia?  It would be better for Japan but bad for Germany.  I dunno its just a thought.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

One does not need Calcutta to win the game.  A combined Axis threat on Russia is usually enough to stop the Allies from winning - however, the necessity is to stop Allied air from getting to Moscow and to do that, you need the norther Russian territories, for at least a turn.  20-26 ground units in Nentsia is pretty significant, with Italy going for Ukraine and Germany focusing on Baltic/E. Poland area, the Russians are split two ways without any way for the Allies to realistically send help (come on, you cannot both hold India AND send reinforcements from there.)  Add in Japanese streaming through China and it’s pretty much a done deal for Russia.

• Oh please.

If Germany’s dropping that kind of force in northern Russia and buying 10 transports on G2, Russia will be making all sorts of bank in Europe.  Stacked up in Hungary/Romania, with planes and mobile forces falling back to stem your advance from the north.

• TripleA

One does not need Calcutta to win the game.  A combined Axis threat on Russia is usually enough to stop the Allies from winning - however, the necessity is to stop Allied air from getting to Moscow and to do that, you need the norther Russian territories, for at least a turn.  20-26 ground units in Nentsia is pretty significant, with Italy going for Ukraine and Germany focusing on Baltic/E. Poland area, the Russians are split two ways without any way for the Allies to realistically send help (come on, you cannot both hold India AND send reinforcements from there.)  Add in Japanese streaming through China and it’s pretty much a done deal for Russia.

YAWN GERMANY AND JAPAN VS RUSSIA IS SO 2 MONTHS AGO. It does fail pretty hard, two reasons, cough calcutta making 27… what is the point of taking out russia if you got another wall of infantry to deal with before egypt? dutch islands are done japan is screwed. burma road and china is lame. everyday usa is shuffling, that is how that game goes. Either that 2 anzac fighters fly into russia every turn along with a bunch of allies junk.

Japan not blowing up on his side of the board is just dumb. Everyone knows how that game goes. Honestly the whole japan vs russia thing is only viable when russia leaves a mid size to all his infantry in amur on russia 1, where all your air is in range to hit it on J1.

• Agreed.

Jen, if you’re sending the brunt of Japan’s resources against Russia, and US goes KJF, then of course Axis will win.
    That’s a huge rookie mistake to make.
    If Axis is clearly going for the Europe win, then you go KGF.  Duh.

• TripleA

^^^^^^^^

you could also do KJF and race. The calcutta infantry is many and can wall off egypt. germany vs everyone doesn’t work out either. Full atlantic is much safer if Japan is going russia as UK pac, ANZAC, and china will have a bigger bankroll than japan, which is just sad.

Still I am not sure how this thread went from how UK handles barb to different axis strategies, honestly G2 full transport buy and romania major factory is sub optimal for doing barb. This has been explained thoroughly in other threads.

The whole point of the changes was to balance the game so countries do their objectives and both axis and allies have a fair shot at winning the game. Before the AA gun rule changes came in, you couldn’t find an allies player without giving him at least 4-6 infantry on UK.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

@Alsch91:

Oh please.

If Germany’s dropping that kind of force in northern Russia and buying 10 transports on G2, Russia will be making all sorts of bank in Europe. � Stacked up in Hungary/Romania, with planes and mobile forces falling back to stem your advance from the north.

You may think, however, one forgets, Russia doesn’t have that much to begin with while Germany easily has 170 IPC on the first three rounds (Compared to 90 IPC for Russia).  Meanwhile, a gelded England is still rebuilding and not threatening, America’s way too far away to field more than a single transport - maybe two for harrassment.  Italy’s mostly unopposed in Africa - usually is when England think’s its getting invaded.

I find Russia is usually crushed to at least 2 or 3 territories before Germany has to move units to block the British/Americans.

And yes, as I mentioned earlier, Japan’s sending it all against Russia and to hell with America.  America will still have to dedicate about 5 rounds to the Pacific (7 if they split) and that’s 5 (7) rounds of no harrassment to Germany.  IF the goal is win on the Europe map, what does it matter what you do or dont have in the Pacific?  Hell, I might (MIGHT) even recommend not taking any of the DEI so America cannot get them either. Â

As for Calcutta, anyone stupid enough to let them make more than 17 is an obvious ametuer at the game.  Sorry, but seriously, other than the first round or two, there’s no legitimate reason they shouldn’t be down to max 12 IPC a round.  Why don’t you have 2 or 3 submarines CRDing them with a moderately good Japanese fleet in the DEI?  I mean common, it’s not THAT hard.  Hell, Larry gave you everything you needed at the start of the game, you dont even need to build anything!  (You should, but you dont HAVE TOO.)

Only thing that should push Japan back is America, and the only reason you allow that is so they are not investing in the Atlantic.  Remember, your goal is to win on Europe, not Pacific.  That means there is only one VC on the Pacific map you have to care about: Tokyo.  Everything else is tertiary at best.  Even China can be mostly left alone once your army is past them, fine, let them liberate.  Better still, INVITE the Vodka swilling bastards into Manchuria, you have any idea how helpful that is to Germany?  18 less hits, 36 less punch PER ROUND on the attack on Moscow!

I think your problem is you are still stuck in this globalization strategy of Classic, Revised and Anniversary and are not thinking in the mono-board mindset the Axis really need to win in 1940.   Who cares what you have on the board you dont want to win on, hell, even avoiding taking things works out on that board.  There have been plenty of games where I ignored Africa because I wanted to win in the Pacific.  America couldn’t get the French or British territories there because I never took them, so they quickly lost the money needed to stop Germany AND Japan.  Likewise, lull the Americans into thinking an easy win (there’s no way they are taking Tokyo before round 10, even if you do nothing to stop them but build for a couple rounds there) meanwhile, strip them of what they need to stop Germany from winning. Â

Stop thinking mono-laterally.  This is a two sided campaign, you need EITHER Germany OR Japan, you do not need both.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m