• hey there

First a big thanks to 94canuck for the game aids and IL for his great map. We’ll use them end of this week for the first time and I’m really looking forward to it after a couple of years with the original 1942 stuff.

I read quiet a lot in this forum, a lot of great info.

What’s a bit unclear to me till know are two things about AA:

• When having a sea-battle prior I can declare which ships take part in the battle and which don’t, so I can use them for offshorebombardement. Do I put those ships and the transports also onto the battle-strip? As far as I unterstood the rules I don’t, but after reading here I unterstand, that the transports take part in the sea-battle, so I’m a bit confused.
    • Offshore-bombardement takes place at the beginning of the battle, right? Then I take the ships away from the battle-strip and in the case there are hits, does can shoot back with the other casualties of the defender?

And about the subs:

• they can never hit planes, but can hit if an enemy destroyer is part of the battle, right?
    • How does the first strike exactly work? First attacker subs, then defender subs, then the rest of the ships: what happens when with which casualties? And first strike takes place only in the first round of battle, right?

Thanks a lot for the clarification!

Thanks for clarification.

• @Spirou:

• When having a sea-battle prior I can declare which ships take part in the battle and which don’t, so I can use them for offshorebombardement. Do I put those ships and the transports also onto the battle-strip? As far as I unterstood the rules I don’t, but after reading here I unterstand, that the transports take part in the sea-battle, so I’m a bit confused.

If a sea battle occurs, all attacking sea units must participate in the battle. Then offshore bombardement will not take place.
    Transports - although having an attack value of “0” - belong to the attackers and take part in the sea-battle.
    @Spirou:

• Offshore-bombardement takes place at the beginning of the battle, right? Then I take the ships away from the battle-strip and in the case there are hits, does can shoot back with the other casualties of the defender?

Right. The defender’s casualties fire back during the land combat step. So they can not hit the ships.

@Spirou:

And about the subs:

• they can never hit planes, but can hit if an enemy destroyer is part of the battle, right?

No, submarines can never hit planes.
    Planes can hit submarines only when supported by a destroyer that is friendly to the planes.

@Spirou:

• How does the first strike exactly work? First attacker subs, then defender subs, then the rest of the ships: what happens when with which casualties? And first strike takes place only in the first round of battle, right?

No, surprise strike takes place in every round of combat. See page 16-18 of the rulebook for the exact procedure.

• @P@nther:

@Spirou:

No, surprise strike takes place in every round of combat. See page 16-18 of the rulebook for the exact procedure.

To be more precise, surprise strike happens in every round of combat where 1) There’s at least 1 submarine(s) present, 2) That sub chooses to remain and don’t submerge at the beginning of the round, and 3) There are no enemy destroyers present (otherwise they roll with the rest of the units).
    Any casualties inflicted during surprise strike are removed immediately from the battle strip, without having the chance to fire back.

• p@nther and Hobbes, thanks for the clarifications.

The hole sea-battle stuff I didn’t really correctly read till know, like it seems (or maybe it’s because I learned the game with revised…). I also just now realized, that subs have after the suprise-strike still the possibility to shoot also in the “normal” round. (and so it has the possibility to attack two times per round)

• @Spirou:

p@nther and Hobbes, thanks for the clarifications.

The hole sea-battle stuff I didn’t really correctly read till know, like it seems (or maybe it’s because I learned the game with revised…). I also just now realized, that subs have after the suprise-strike still the possibility to shoot also in the “normal” round. (and so it has the possibility to attack two times per round)

Subs only fire once, either on the surprise strike or during normal combat. The system is almost the same as Revised , but now subs can submerge before any shots rather than only submerging at the end of a round of combat.

• thanks for the correction, I thought it was strange… missread cannot and can when going threw the rules again.

• Sorry, I did not realize that you don’t have the 1942 rulebook.

You will find the Spring 1942 rules here:

http://www.gametableonline.com/pop_rules.php?gid=35

and some clarification here:

http://harrisgamedesign.com/pdf/A&A_1942_FAQ.pdf

• Krieghund also made this .pdf, which is very useful since it lists all the rule differences between Revised, LHTR and Spring 1942.

A&A_1942_&_Revised_Editions_Rules_Comparison.pdf

• got the rulebook, just realized, that I didn’t read it exactly enough, because I thought then I’d know the rules more or less.
    It was exactly enough to play and to have most of the rules right, but I missed two or three things :roll:, well, now it should be better

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m