• I was bored so I made this: (use g40 board)

The Chinese civil war ( 1927-1950 )

2 Starting scenerios:

1934:
    Nations:
    Communist (Russian Pieces)
    Nationalist (USA pieces)
    Japan (Japanese Pieces)

Japan can buy all units
    Nationalist can buy Infantry, Artillery, AA guns and Mech Infantry
    Communists "    "        "          "                  "        "          "

Its every nation for its self, so you need 3 Players.
    There is no capitols.
    Territories in the game: all chinese territories and Korea.
    Nationalist win if they wipe out the communist and control Shangai
    Communist "    "  "        "        "  "    Nationalist  "      "            "
    Japan wins if they control 15 Territories
    There is no sea zones.
    Japan places units in Korea, If Korea is captured, Japan is gone.

Turn order:
    Japan
    Communist
    Nationalist

Set up:

Communists: 5 IPCs (+10 IPCs if one a Territory that borders Russia, after Turn 3 +4
    Kansu: 1 Infantry
    Suiyuyan: 2 Infantry, 1 Artillery
    Charchar: 3 Infantry, 2 Artillery
    Tsinghai: 2 Infantry, 1 Mech
    Shensi: 2 Infantry, 2 Artillery

Nationalist: 15 IPCs
    Singkaig: 2 Infantry
    Scechwan: 4 Infantry, 1 Fighter (cannot replace)
    Yunnan: 1 Infantry
    Hopei: 2 Infantry
    Jehol: 3 Infantry
    1 Infantry in all other territories

Japan: 6 IPCs (16 IPCs for 8 rounds)
    Manchuria: 4 Infantry, 2 Artillery, 2 Mech, 2 Fighters, 2 AA guns
    Korea: 2 Infantry, 1 Tank, 1 Tac, 1 Mech

1946:

Coming soon!

• may I offer so advice, or better yet, just a few suggestions?

1. I wouldnt allow the Communists to buy Mech infantry, they never had enough equipment to field a full artillert battery let alone mech infantry (not saying they shouldnt be allowed them to buy arty, that’s needed dearly)

2. If this is supposed to cover the 3 sided war between the CCP, the KMT, and the Japanese Empire, then allow Japan, formosa, and okinawa to be included in the game. Give Japan a fleet and the ability to move via the seazones. It would give them a 16IPC economy regularly, it would actually make them a credible threat for longer and a reason for the CCP and KMT to stop fighting eachother to focus on Japan. Otherwise Japan would just be an annoyance at best.

3. Maybe allow the KMT an advantage like being able to purchase 1 armour and 1 fighter if at war with Japan and holding a territory that borders the UK (Burma road) but they are only allowed to have 1 tank and 1 fighter max at any one time. Its kind of the same flavor of the CCP +10 IPC for bordering Soviet rule which….

4. Maybe reduce the amount of IPC assistance the CCP gets from the Soviets to like 5IPC a turn, but make it right from the get go. This way it would keep the CCP close to the KMT in economic terms but drive them to conquer other territories to try and make up the IPC gap between them. However, if they weaken the KMT too much trying to make up that gap, it will strengthen Japan’s position against the both of them.

5. Maybe make the control of Shanghai the entire objective for all 3 sides. For the Chinese factions it represents a capitol city of sorts for them and for the Japanese it represents the economic heart of the Asian continent they want to conquer.

Just a few suggestions, what do you think? I really like the idea behind this game and will be testing this out myself, good job!  :-D

• @Clyde85:

may I offer so advice, or better yet, just a few suggestions?

1. I wouldnt allow the Communists to buy Mech infantry, they never had enough equipment to field a full artillert battery let alone mech infantry (not saying they shouldnt be allowed them to buy arty, that’s needed dearly)

2. If this is supposed to cover the 3 sided war between the CCP, the KMT, and the Japanese Empire, then allow Japan, formosa, and okinawa to be included in the game. Give Japan a fleet and the ability to move via the seazones. It would give them a 16IPC economy regularly, it would actually make them a credible threat for longer and a reason for the CCP and KMT to stop fighting eachother to focus on Japan. Otherwise Japan would just be an annoyance at best.

3. Maybe allow the KMT an advantage like being able to purchase 1 armour and 1 fighter if at war with Japan and holding a territory that borders the UK (Burma road) but they are only allowed to have 1 tank and 1 fighter max at any one time. Its kind of the same flavor of the CCP +10 IPC for bordering Soviet rule which….

4. Maybe reduce the amount of IPC assistance the CCP gets from the Soviets to like 5IPC a turn, but make it right from the get go. This way it would keep the CCP close to the KMT in economic terms but drive them to conquer other territories to try and make up the IPC gap between them. However, if they weaken the KMT too much trying to make up that gap, it will strengthen Japan’s position against the both of them.

5. Maybe make the control of Shanghai the entire objective for all 3 sides. For the Chinese factions it represents a capitol city of sorts for them and for the Japanese it represents the economic heart of the Asian continent they want to conquer.

Just a few suggestions, what do you think? I really like the idea behind this game and will be testing this out myself, good job!  :-D

But this all in the game. Thanks Clyde!

• Another thought, If this is a 1934 scenario Shanghai should have a bigger garrison, as well as Kwangsi. If anything I would shift the forces you have in Sechwan and put them in Shanghai and move the Jehol force Kwangsi. At this time in Chinese history, most of Chiang Kai-Shek and the KMT’s strength was in the built up coastal areas (if were talking a 1934 scenario). After the northern expedition of the late 20’s, where Chiang lead the KMT armies northward from Guangdong and Guangxi(in game called Kwangsi) to unify China, The KMT used Shanghai as their commercial and financial capital, while Nanjing become the political capital and they arrayed their forces accordingly. Places like Szechwan, Yunnan, Sikang, and Guizhou(in game its called Kweichow) were largely the realm of warlords who, while still nominally loyal to Chiangs government in Nanjing, acted on their own desires. After the war with Japan began, and KMT forces were pushed back from the coastal areas (in bloody battles like Shanghai and the rape of Nanjing) Chaing and his shattered armies moved inland and asserted control over these places and rebuilt their armies. In A&A we usually see China with strong forces in the southwest because by the time A&A begins all the major battles of the war in China (Shanghai, Nanjing, Wuhan, and the KMT victory at Taierzhuang) have already been fought.

From a game play aspect having the KMT forces concentrated on the coast makes sense as the weak interior will invite the CCP to try and expand their minor IPC strength. It would also force the KMT to focus its building of units to the interior and perhaps invite a Japanese invasion. It creates a more interesting balance of power between the 3 factions and would allow the conquest and conflict mechanics to drive game play.

I don’t mean to hijack your idea on you, and these are just my suggestions. Having lived in China for a number of years i’m pretty well read on the subject matter and I think this is a really really cool idea.

• @Clyde85:

Another thought, If this is a 1934 scenario Shanghai should have a bigger garrison, as well as Kwangsi. If anything I would shift the forces you have in Sechwan and put them in Shanghai and move the Jehol force Kwangsi. At this time in Chinese history, most of Chiang Kai-Shek and the KMT’s strength was in the built up coastal areas (if were talking a 1934 scenario). After the northern expedition of the late 20’s, where Chiang lead the KMT armies northward from Guangdong and Guangxi(in game called Kwangsi) to unify China, The KMT used Shanghai as their commercial and financial capital, while Nanjing become the political capital and they arrayed their forces accordingly. Places like Szechwan, Yunnan, Sikang, and Guizhou(in game its called Kweichow) were largely the realm of warlords who, while still nominally loyal to Chiangs government in Nanjing, acted on their own desires. After the war with Japan began, and KMT forces were pushed back from the coastal areas (in bloody battles like Shanghai and the rape of Nanjing) Chaing and his shattered armies moved inland and asserted control over these places and rebuilt their armies. In A&A we usually see China with strong forces in the southwest because by the time A&A begins all the major battles of the war in China (Shanghai, Nanjing, Wuhan, and the KMT victory at Taierzhuang) have already been fought.

From a game play aspect having the KMT forces concentrated on the coast makes sense as the weak interior will invite the CCP to try and expand their minor IPC strength. It would also force the KMT to focus its building of units to the interior and perhaps invite a Japanese invasion. It creates a more interesting balance of power between the 3 factions and would allow the conquest and conflict mechanics to drive game play.

I don’t mean to hijack your idea on you, and these are just my suggestions. Having lived in China for a number of years i’m pretty well read on the subject matter and I think this is a really really cool idea.

OK, I didn’t know much about the war, so I should fix some things in it.
    Thanks again!

• @empireman:

Thanks again!

Having lived in China for a few years i’m pretty well informed on the subject and have a number of books I can recommend if you like. I find this period in Chinese really interesting and tried to make a game like this once before with the old A&A pacific (didn’t work as well though).  I’d be willing to work with you on this, double check the history, play-test it with my friends here and what not.

What are your thoughts on changing your initial set-up? Any thoughts on the composition of a Japanese fleet for the game?

• @empireman:

Here’s something that would factor into your 1934 scenario:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_march

• @Clyde85:

@empireman:

Thanks again!

Having lived in China for a few years i’m pretty well informed on the subject and have a number of books I can recommend if you like. I find this period in Chinese really interesting and tried to make a game like this once before with the old A&A pacific (didn’t work as well though).  I’d be willing to work with you on this, double check the history, play-test it with my friends here and what not.

What are your thoughts on changing your initial set-up? Any thoughts on the composition of a Japanese fleet for the game?

Um IDK about the fleet. Still thinking about changes.

• I personally like this idea, and love to see the inclusion of warlord armies in the interior and a special map dedicated to this scenario.

• @Admiral:

I personally like this idea, and love to see the inclusion of warlord armies in the interior and a special map dedicated to this scenario.

Thanks! :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m