"Tall Paul's" A&A INFRASTRUCTURE units detailed and painted by "WARMACHINE Team"

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Those airbases are pretty cool. Got to admit! :-D

• Customizer

John,

@John:

Those airbases are pretty cool. Got to admit! :-D

––We will be playing on them before too much longer. I’ve wanted these 3-Dimensional Air Bases for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time! I can’t stand the cardboard cr*p that comes in the box nowadays.

––Let me say this here and now.
    I am still very much looking forward to HBG Air and Naval Bases that (I think) will be coming out with their FACILITIES set and I will buy several!

Tall Paul

• @Tall:

CWO Marc,
    @CWO:

Looks nice.  Black and silver are a combination I’ve always liked – it looks classy.

––Thanks for the comment. I always enjoy seeing YOUR newest painted units. You do such nice work.
    Tall Paul

Uh, I appreciate the sentiment but I think you’re confusing me with someone else since I’ve never painted any of my A&A or HBG units.  I don’t have the dexterity or the patience for that kind of work.  I did produce a set of sculpt identification charts, which I posted in a separate thread in this section of the board, but fortunately that project involved photography rather than painting.  :-)

• Customizer

CWO Marc,

@CWO:

Looks nice.  Black and silver are a combination I’ve always liked – it looks classy.

––I appreciate your comments because your opinion matters to me.

Tall Paul

• Customizer

Guys,

––Here are some “In-Process” pics of the Naval Bases (3-Dimensional). These units are from SHAPEWAYS. Enjoy!

Tall Paul

Naval Base_x01.jpg
    Naval Base_x02.jpg

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Wow, those naval bases are killer! :-D

• very cool and unique sculpt with the naval bases! are you painting them “generic” across the board? or will each naval base have a country insignia or color scheme change?

• Customizer

John,

@John:

Wow, those naval bases are killer! :-D

––I’m glad you like them. We’ll both probably get to utilize them in our next game.

Tall Paul

• Customizer

jwo1984 and others,

@jwo1984:

very cool and unique sculpt with the naval bases!
    ––Glad you like them. I have always hated the cardboard cr*p that comes with the games,…and I really have a preference for
    3-Dimensional pieces whenever that’s possible. I’ve been waiting for these to be produced for five years or more

are you painting them “generic” across the board?
    ––YES
    or will each naval base have a country insignia or color scheme change?
    ––I considered it,…but it seemed to make the paint job too “cluttered”. And after considering the “big picture” I decided that it would be much better to have “generic” units for these Air and Naval Bases. These Naval Bases ORIGINALLY came with a tiny flagpole w/flag that would have been impossible to use so we cut them off. I originally had also thought about placing decals saying “air force” or “navy” on top of the barracks but even this seemed to be too “cluttered”. The space on top of the fuel tank is designed to hold an Anti-Aircraft Gun (Standard).

––Here is a “File” pic from the Shapeways site showing the tiny flagpoles we cut off.

Tall Paul

Naval Base-x01.jpg

• Customizer

Guys,

––Here are a couple of FINISHED pics of the 3-Dimensional Naval Bases that were just now completed. I’ve been waiting almost five years to have some well detailed 3-dimensional Air and Naval Bases. I just hate the cardboard cr*p that comes in the game. Enjoy!

Tall Paul

Base, Navy-01CC.jpg
    Base, Navy-02CC.jpg

• wow these look fantastic!!! those bases take the gaming experience to a whole-other-level! could you post a shot with some painted warships next too the bases by chance??

• Customizer

jwo1984 & others,

@jwo1984:

wow these look fantastic!!!
    ––Thanks and I’m glad you liked them. IMHO, feedback, whether POSITIVE or NEGATIVE helps me to realize if my methods/ideas are worthwhile or not.
    those bases take the gaming experience to a whole-other-level!
    ––Yes, from the sub-par cardboard cr*p that comes with the game, to some
    3-D painted units that hopefully look better. Just wait until you see the finished Air Bases. They will knock your socks off!

could you post a shot with some painted warships next too the bases by chance??
    ––Eventually, sure. But at this moment I don’t have any painted ships YET.
    I have so many Infantry and aircraft in the que that the ships will be a little while yet. So you can get an idea of size/scale I’ll post a pic of some unpainted ships for you soon.

Tall Paul

• Customizer

Guys,

––Here’s a small update on the 3-Dimensional Naval Bases. Although this pic has slightly ‘fuzzy’ focus you can see the windows and framing that have been painted onto the aircraft control tower. They still need to have the apron and runway stripes added. I’ll try to post some better pics with a close-up of control tower later, maybe with some aircraft, too.

––BTW,…PLEASE, Does anyone know a source for some decal stripes (dashes) like are used on streets and/or highways? We need these to apply to the RUNWAYS on these Air Bases and we haven’t uncovered a source yet.

Tall Paul

Base, Air-X01CC.jpg

• yes please a zoom in shot! the detail windows on the tower really make the piece stand out!  Have you thought of running two 3m tape strips and taping off a runway line then spray it white? or are the pieces just too small.

• Customizer

jwo1984,

@jwo1984:

yes please a zoom in shot! the detail windows on the tower really make the piece stand out!  Have you thought of running two 3m tape strips and taping off a runway line then spray it white? or are the pieces just too small.

––While that is a good idea to mask off and then paint the stripe,…it is quite labor-intensive and doesn’t give me the “dashed” stripe that I want. These Airbases are quite small and there are 24 of them so far, with an eventual total of 48.
    ----Decal stripes (dashes) would be soo much sharper, faster, and a whole lot easier so I’ll continue to look for some DECAL STRIPES (DASHES).
    ----I sincerelyThank You for your idea and although I’m not using it on this occasion, please don’t hesitate with any other ideas you might have in the future.

Tall Paul

• Perhaps another method would be the stencil approach: taking a suitably sized piece of thin, stiff material (carboard, or very thin metal or plastic) and using an x-acto knife to cut a line of slots in it.  Place the stencil over the runway, spray paint it white, carefully remove it and allow the resulting line of white stripes to dry.

• '14 Customizer

These are not dashed but they may work if you cut them into pieces.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-144-Decals-Black-White-Stripes-WWI-1-300-1-700-WWII-Invasion-Stripes-YK-25-/120806099447?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&var=&hash=item1c209ac9f7

I buy about 95% of my decals from this seller.  You could just put the whole decal line down then paint in the void areas with the background to get the dashed effect.

• '14 Customizer

• Customizer

jwo1984 & others,

@jwo1984:

yes please a zoom in shot! the detail windows on the (Air Base Control) tower really make the piece stand out!
    ––Workin’ on it. Hopefully I’ll have time and get some pics by the end of the week.

-Tall Paul

• Customizer

jwo1984 & others,

@jwo1984:

wow these look fantastic!!! those bases take the gaming experience to a whole-other-level! could you post a shot with some painted warships next too the bases by chance??
    **––Well, here are a couple of pics that hopefully give you a better appreciation for the  size of the Naval Bases in relation to the ships. NOTE: These are the Small Naval Bases from SHAPEWAYS,…Ebard being the designer. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Tall Paul**

Base, Navy-03CC.jpg
    Base, Navy-04CC.jpg

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m