• I won’t have a rulebook at hand for a while, so can anyone please tell me if it’s possible to conduct an amphibious assault and a sea battle in the same sea zone simultaneously? my opponent has a fleet in front of gibraltar, I’d like to knock out that fleet and take gibraltar (no bombardment) at the same time. we’re playing AAE1940.

• all amphibious assaults must first resolve the sea battles.  If the attacker survives with boats (non transport boats) then the amphibious assault may take place after.  Also note, no bombardment may occur from any ships that took place in that sea battle.

• thanks for clearing that up. I also noticed there are a couple of planes nearby. can I use those for both the sea battle and the assault? will the AA gun on land also fire when the planes take part in the sea battle or only when they take part in the assault?

• Official Q&A

@wwestpro:

If the attacker survives with boats (non transport boats) then the amphibious assault may take place after.

The attacker doesn’t necessarily have to have surviving warships.  The only requirement is that the defender does not (excluding subs that submerged in the battle).

@ecoli:

I also noticed there are a couple of planes nearby. can I use those for both the sea battle and the assault?

You can use them for one or the other, but not both.

@ecoli:

will the AA gun on land also fire when the planes take part in the sea battle or only when they take part in the assault?

AA guns fire only on planes that attack the territory they’re in.  They never fire in sea battles.

• @Krieghund:

@wwestpro:

If the attacker survives with boats (non transport boats) then the amphibious assault may take place after.

The attacker doesn’t necessarily have to have surviving warships.  The only requirement is that the defender does not (excluding subs that submerged in the battle).

Ah, yes.  In case anyone was reading Krieg’s answer wrong like I was… transports are dead in the water ONLY if there are surviving defenders for the next round.  I didn’t consider if the round ended and only transports were left on the attacker’s side.  But planes can still take them out if the defender is scrambling.

• Official Q&A

@wwestpro:

But planes can still take them out if the defender is scrambling.

That’s true.  The defender could still have planes left (either carrier-based or scrambled), which would also stop the amphibious assault.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m