Is there too much contempt for the French from A&A players?

• Ok, so you hate the French for everything she has ever done in her history, fine, good, glad you got that out, can we please move on to something actually intresting now? Or do you feel the need to write another post showing how clever you are and what jerks the rest of us are for not wanting to bang on about the horrible things France has done?

I for one would like someone to answer, or atleast tell me what they think, about my statment that the Soviet Union is a country that is treated with too much contempt by A&A players, which from a game stand point makes no sense to me

• And I just wanted to add this, as it been kind f a running joke around the apartment, When someone uses the term “Francophile” it conjures up ideas in my head of meaning someone with a bizzare sexual fetish wherein one of the partners has to be dressed up like Francisco Franco and ocassionally stop mid act and shout at the other person in Spanish. Now my roommate added to this that it made him think of someone who had to be dressed up like a giant hot dog during sex, which ofcourse caused great bouts of laughter around the house  :-D :lol: :lol:

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

it made him think of someone who had to be dressed up like a giant hot dog during sex

I really didn’t want to know that…

• OK Clyde. Just start a new topic and I’m going to answer.

• Ok, so you hate the French for everything she has ever done in her history,

No you are not reading it right. 1870-1945…

And probably how they showed their hand in Algeria.

and probably also that effort in Vietnam.

After that they fought brilliantly, except their are no examples of this.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

In Afghanistan the French didn’t even leave the wire.  They just sat in the base doing F-all.

BTW, none of this is OFF TOPIC, because that’s what this thread is all about, why there is contempt for the french, and why it’s JUSTIFIED.

• @Clyde85:

I for one would like someone to answer, or atleast tell me what they think, about my statment that the Soviet Union is a country that is treated with too much contempt by A&A players, which from a game stand point makes no sense to me

I have encountered little contempt for the Soviet Union from A&A players. Even though they are often squashed like a bug between Germany and Japan (which is not realistic at all), I have encountered very little negative talk or jokes about the Soviet Union on-line or face to face. Although I can envision this among A&A circles of players, because the Soviet Union is often just squashed between Germany and Japan, and in some iterations of the game, whether the Allies can win is largely a function of how long the SU survives.

• Right the Soviets fought more bravely than any other allied nation, and was engaged with something like 80% of the total military machine of Germany.

No contempt for them whatsoever. The initial loses are based on a false strategy where Stalin was controlling the border deployments and ordering them to stand and defend the larger cities. Once he let his own generals take over they did fine.

The Soviets would not surrender unless most of their productive capabilities were destroyed. Losing Moscow would be bad, but not lead to surrender.

That is not the case with France however.

• Stalin was the primary problem for the Soviets early in the war.  His purges of officers as well as armament designers, and the completely centralized command were a disaster.  The forward deployments were idiotic considering the slow communication and authoritarian control.

The Soviets lacked strategic components of any consequence (strategic bombers, long range fighters, navy, etc), but they did have some very modern tactical equipment, perhaps the best in several areas.

There was one thing that Stalin brought to the table that made the Soviets extremely formidable:  there was no way he was going to surrender or allow any subordinates to consider it.  Every man, woman,  & child in the country, and all of his relatives could die before that man would yield.  The lives of his citizens and soldiers meant nothing to him.

• I haven’t had the pleasure of playing Europe 1940 yet, but I have no contempt for the French during the conflict. I would say there were significant reasons to the Third Republic’s ultimate downfall, one of the which was overall poor Allied strategy, which including the misusing of tank divisions and worst of all, not mounting a meaningful offensive into Germany in the opening days of the war.

As for the Soviet Union, which like the French, I have no contempt for, there were many reasons for its initial failure, the purges are one, whilst devastating they alone were not the cause of Soviet ineffectiveness. The main cause was Stalin himself, who was planning an offensive war sometime in 1942, after he thought Hitler would crush England. He made no preparations for defense, thinking that the Germans would never again fight on two fronts as they did over twenty years ago. Obviously, he was wrong. The man went as far to dismiss intelligence reports, which while varied in dates of attacks, came in like a torrent, from multiple sources.

The second was the nature of Red Army’s training and discipline coupled with the strategical and logistical support were in shambles during the first opening weeks on the Eastern Front.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m