• I’d like to play a fairly decent game of Global with OOB rules and setup. I’d like to solve the heavy Allied prejudice with a cash only pregame bid to Axis.

Opinions on what would make it roughly fair?

Thanks.

• you could figure out the total difference (in IPCs) in OOB and alpha 3.9

divvy up that amount to the allied nations

though you may have to add a few to achieve a closer balance due to the fact that some balance changes were indirect (scramble for one)

• @Uncrustable:

you could figure out the total difference (in IPCs) in OOB and alpha 3.9

though you may have to add a few to achieve a closer balance due to the fact that some balance changes were indirect (scramble for one)

that sounds a bit complicated. people were satisfied with a bid somewhere between 5 and 10 to allies or so in Anniversary edition, and without having to compare Anniversary to some other mod of the game.

• @rockrobinoff:

@Uncrustable:

you could figure out the total difference (in IPCs) in OOB and alpha 3.9

that sounds a bit complicated. people were satisfied with a bid somewhere between 5 and 10 to allies or so in Anniversary edition, and without having to compare Anniversary to some other mod of the game.

alpha 3.9 is not a mod
    it is official rules posted by Larry Harris
    post OOB of course, but official nonetheless

why not just use alpha 3.9 ? it is as balanced as it can probably can get

• i know 3.9 official.

i am using some software that does not support the new rules. would like some input from the community on bids, not suggestions for doing something else.

• I don’t know….  played somes games of OOB but moved on to Alpha1 and Alpha2 as they came out…

Would take a lot, IMO
    OOB HEAVILY favors the Allies.  Cash only bid - I don’t know - add about 40 to Germany, 40 to Japan and 20 to Italy?  Might be fairer then.

Not sure how you’ll get anything but wild guesses.

• i thought OOB favored the axis ?

most of the changes seem to help the allies through alpha

i may be wrong here, but sealion and crush calcutta both were fairly easy in OOB and even some of the alphas were still a little too easy

• My main issue with OOB is the inability to hinder the US income in most any plausible scenario which becomes a factor when USA enters the war.
    Giving any significant bid to the Axis would tip the scales too quickly in the early game, and allow them to rush Russia (for example) too fast.

I play mostly OOB as well, simply because the Alpha rules IMO changed fast and kept being in some inconsistent state, so things kept changing. Then it was easier to deal with the hardship and try to beat the odds in OOB IMO. :D

• I think the rules in Alpha 3.9 are the only way to balance the game as in OOB the US will become too much of a monster with the easy NO’s and the Major IC’s.

• @Xandax:

My main issue with OOB is the inability to hinder the US income in most any plausible scenario which becomes a factor when USA enters the war.
    Giving any significant bid to the Axis would tip the scales too quickly in the early game, and allow them to rush Russia (for example) too fast.

I suppose that is the real crux of the matter. Perhaps a cash bonus for Germany if they take out London or Moscow (keeping a G1 Russia attack on the table) would work instead of a straight up pregame bid.

Perhaps if USA loses its “at war” 30 IPC NO would work.

• I like A2 with the addition of War with Russia/US if london falls, that has been the most even iteration of the game so far.

• Why play OOB if you are on these forums…

Isn’t A3.9 supposed to be the final balanced product?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Slap

• Isn’t A3.9 supposed to be the final balanced product?

Well from my ponit of veiw in the games that I have played is that in alpha 3 the axis have the advantege.
    3.9 gives them more advantage sure with some incredible planning (like a 15 page breakdown) the allies can almost pull it off.
    in my opinion 3.9 just made a bad situation worse.

• '17

@Gragor:

3.9 gives them more advantage

How is Alpha 3.9 easier for Axis than the original Alpha 3?

The Allies gained 20 IPC worth of units in key areas and plus a better naval setup.

• 3.9 was all allied buffs lmao

and seriously if you can understand how to play Axis and Allies Global 1940 (a very complicated monster)…then how hard is it to adjust your playing to the latest official rules

alpha was only in a ‘flux state’ from mid sept. through mid nov. of last year. (TWO WHOLE MONTHS LOL)

and since there has been ONE change in mid feb.

people are incredible

OOB was clearly a rushed product and Larry Harris recognized this and fixed it with consumer input to the best of his ability

most companies rush their product and dont give a damn about fixing it

• The balance is not that the Axis are favored, it is that the Allies play too aggressive and play into the Axis hands due to their early advantage in units.  Once the Allies lose their stacks, they are crippled for multiple turns - which swings the economic factor due to time in favor of the Axis.  The key, in my opinion, is to play for the long game as the Allies:

Defend London
    Take and Deny the Axis Egypt
    Never expose your stacks to the Axis until you have no other choice in Russia, China and the Pacific.
    Encourage the Axis to over-extend, then pounce.

The economic advantage is in your favor as the Allies, but you have to be patient with it and overlap your agenda with your Allied nations.  The US can advance the UK in the Atlantic by just stacking in places where the UK wants to move.  Same can be said about Anzac in the Pacific.  Let the US handle the actual agenda, let Anzac (and India if they are capable) push the bill and take the territories.

DNG with a NB becomes increasingly valuable for the Allies to project all sorts of chaos for Japan.  It is worth putting no units down for a turn in order to be able to project all over the Axis Pacific map from there.

Much can be learned from looking at the Patton and Monty issue in WW2.  Monty got much of the glory because the US did the heavy lifting to enable him to do so.  Ply a similar strategy in both theaters and you will see results.

The game is not for the Axis to win, but for the Allies to lose.

• I dont see your point Spendo02, OOB is unbalanced period

alpha 3.9 is as balanced as it can get

pretty simple

• Thats my point - people say all the balance went to the Allies (they needed it).  It isn’t unbalanced at all - and theres no reason to play OOB if you are on this forum and are aware of the Alpha 3.9.

• @Spendo02:

Thats my point - people say all the balance went to the Allies (they needed it).  It isn’t unbalanced at all - and theres no reason to play OOB if you are on this forum and are aware of the Alpha 3.9.

couldnt agree more

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m