• Which of these Empires was the ‘greatest’? and Why?

• The British was the biggest and wealthiest empire of all time. It was at its height during the 18th and 19th Century. It started to decline and lose territories in 20th century. By 1995 it lost almost all its over sea territories.

But, second would be mongols or Spainish empires.

• I voted British Empire, but, although we weren’t an empire I’d like to see 1945 US as a choice. Back then we had an amazing military, including the Atom Bomb, giant air force, highly-mechanized/mobile ground force, and good denfenses against the other major powers–2 big oceans. In addition, military production was in full swing and was ridiculously big.

If the question was most powerful nation for its time, I’d say US.

• '12

The US was/is not an empire?  I suspect after the Spanish/American war the US became an empire in particular the conquest of the Philippines and the American/Philippine War.  But I vote the British Empire.

• Where were the US’s colonies? Sure, Guam and the Phillipines and a few other islands in the Pacific were American, but there was nothing near to what Britain or France or even Italy and Holland had.

• '12

While I agree the US colonialism was different from the countries you listed, the US should still be classified as an empire.  The US started out with 13 colonies, I would say the addition of 37 states would constitute the incorporation of colonies.  The addition of the philippines was the beginning of empire building in the opinion of many historians.  Noam Chomsky is not liked by many Americans but he does make some interesting points.

• The Turks had an Empire that was the verge of control of all of Europe. Had they won the Siege of Vienna in 1529, little would be in the way of complete control of Europe.

• '12

Good point about the Turks.

• Missing USA
    Greatness is not just the amount of land area you control.

• Yep, USA would be the best

• I guess it makes sense if you ask the question, which is the greatest Post-Rome power OTHER than the USA….  :-)
    Or, before 1900.
    I suppose you don’t consider the USA an “Empire” because people don’t call it that.  But the USA has been an empire since the 40’s, and in a lot of ways, hands down the greatest.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

The British were the only empire, that the sun never set on.

I don’t think anyone else can say that, and that’s why I AGREE with the sentiments of everyone else here.

Considering the size, length of power, reaches, development, and legacy.  They are the greatest.

• '12

That’s because NOBODY trust’s an Englishman in the dark, not even God!

• I’m gunna go with the Mongols just because they were the biggest land empire ever. They rose from a backward illiterate people to dominate the world and conqured China and Russia, a feat which no country has repeated (in fact no other country has managed to conquer 1 of these countries let alone both).

Pfftp,

I conquered China last night in my sleep!

• @Gargantua:

Pfftp,

I conquered China last night in my sleep!

Gar, eating alot of Chinese food dose not count as “conquering” the country  :wink:

• '12

Technically, Russia lost WW I.  They sued for peace with the Germans and withdrew from the war granting Germany huge concessions.  I suspect if you were to ask the Chinese if they had lost the opium wars that they would answer in the affirmative.  Depends on what you define as being conquered I guess but being forced into agreements you don’t want comes close to me.

Oh, you mean like Vietnam?

• Malachi, I’m sure he meant conquered, as in an occupying force.  Not just winning a war.

• '12

Well, I would say Germany was more conquered than Japan was in WWII.  Both countries had occupying forces, but Japan lost a war and allowed the US forces to enter mainland Japan whereas in Germany, pretty much every square inch was fought for, not that there was really much difference.

In the case of Russia in 1917…yeah they probably would not have been too keen on allowing German forces to be inside of the rump of Russia that remained sovereign to Russia.  Germany was happy to disengage and concentrate on the western front.

With Vietnam, who forced who to sign what?  Could make the argument either way I figure…was it Nixon and the B-52s over the North or the North forcing the US sue for peace.

It’s a pity after WWII the world didn’t just tell the French to bugger off and leave Vietnam alone and indeed, had a marshal plan of sorts been implemented and that dirty phrase ‘nation building’ been implemented then well…It’s nice to see Vietnam and the US on friendly terms now.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m